Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2024, 12:32 AM   #1
Mad Mac

Default Leaking gas tank

My 29 RPU has a very slight fuel leak. It doesn’t drip, it just “seeps” at the steering column support bracket. I recently installed a new support bracket that does not touch the tank (its fixed to the dash). Now I want to find a fuel-proof filler to apply to externally to the tank. Yeah, I know I should remove and repair the tank, but that is a huge expense and I want to try the cheaper option first in the hope that it works. So who can recommend a good fuel-proof filler? Our fuel here in NZ doesn’t have a high ethanol content.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:00 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Leaking gas tank

Some members have reported success with JB Weld. Aircraft Spruce has some very good sealants. See https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...ksealants.html

What ever you use, you will have to drain the tank to lower than the leak and clean and rough up the surface.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:44 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

#2 is spot on. You’ve done the right thing with taking stress off the tank.
But , the fix is difficult.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:32 AM   #4
WHN

Are you planning on keeping the car? Do you want it fixed right or just the cheapest way?

Two years ago, I sold our 1929 that we owned for 42 years. 40 years ago I fixed the same problem. Removed the tank, not that big a job. Cleaned and sloshed the tank, sloshed twice. Re installed. Never leaked again. Even keeping the steering column mount in orginal place.

Good luck.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:18 AM   #5
JayJay

Mac - I had the same issue but around the outlet fitting, not the column support. I fixed as nkaminar suggests - drain the tank to stop the leak, thoroughly clean and dry (brake cleaner works well), scuff up, then apply JBWeld to the joint (I assume you can get JBWeld in New Zealand? It’s a steel-reinforced epoxy, great stuff). Access will be painful, likely easier and a more aesthetically pleasing job if you remove the tank.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:45 AM   #6
Banditorama

I've read that JB Weld won't hold up to gasoline ethanol in it. Eventually it gets gummy and fails. But, I've heard people say they've done gas tank/carb repair with JB Weld and never had a problem with it too.

JB Weld makes a product called tank weld and also Permatex 84334 is listed as ethanol resistant. Just something to consider
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:15 AM   #7
Tom Endy

Whatever you do to seal the tank, it is prudent to install the later steering column mount to take pressure off the one riveted to the tank. When we restored my grandson's 1930 Tudor, we installed one and shimmed it so that the original tank mount is just along for the ride. My grandson has held three presentations at local Model A clubs, and no one commented on the two tank mounts. I doubt they even noticed it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:17 AM   #8
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Whatever you do to seal the tank, it is prudent to install the later steering column mount to take pressure off the one riveted to the tank. When we restored my grandson's 1930 Tudor, we installed one and shimmed it so that the original tank mount is just along for the ride. My grandson has held three presentations at local Model A clubs, and no one commented on the two tank mounts. I doubt they even noticed it.

Tom Endy
The person who "restored" my '31 slant did the same thing, the old tank mount just kinda hangs in there looking lonely.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 04-10-2024 at 10:55 AM.
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:57 AM   #9
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Some members have reported success with JB Weld. Aircraft Spruce has some very good sealants. See https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus...ksealants.html

What ever you use, you will have to drain the tank to lower than the leak and clean and rough up the surface.
After draining the tank, jack up the steering column side of the vehicle. That way if there is any gas left in the tank it will go to the other side.

Last edited by katy; 04-08-2024 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Correction
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
Mad Mac

Thanks guys - some great replies there.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:11 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The issue is that the tank bracket is riveted to the tank and also thru a reinforcing plate. What we have found when restoring these is the tank will have stress cracks radiating out from the rivet holes. What we generally do is remove the bracket, remove the reinforcing plate and weld the cracks and holes in the tank and plate. Then redrill the holes and rivet the bracket onto the tank again. Otherwise the sealer will pull loose as the bracket is vibrated. Then the weep starts again. Even epoxies (i.e.: JB Weld, etc.) can break loose over time.

FWIW, if the repair to the tank is done correctly, -and if a driver is smart about entering the vehicle, it will last forever.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 11:17 AM   #12
nkaminar

Forever is a long long time. Especially the last part. For a car that is driven, maybe a hundred or two hundred years, Brent.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:24 AM   #13
old31

A friend of mine had the exact same leak and used JB gas tank repair and that stopped the weeping and its been 4 years.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8217...ps%2C96&sr=8-3
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 08:43 AM   #14
Kurt in NJ

I soldered mine like it was originally, no leaks so far (50 years)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:07 AM   #15
47topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
I soldered mine like it was originally, no leaks so far (50 years)
How do you do that without blowing yourself up?
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:31 AM   #16
Robert/Texas

I bought my early '28 OCPU and my '28 roadster in the early 1990's. I was advised at that time to never grab onto the steering wheel when getting into a Model A. I never have and so far this has worked for me.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:18 PM   #17
nkaminar

Regarding blowing yourself up. The gasoline vapors are not combustible without oxygen. I had a tank on my boat welded up and the welder filled the tank with argon. Argon is available from welding supply houses and is used for TIG welding.

I worked in a truck stop as a kid in the 1950's. A welder was welding up a gas tank in the back of the shop and a joker slammed a sheet of plywood on the floor that made a big noise and raised a bunch of dust. Everyone ran for the door. The welder was not impressed.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:39 AM   #18
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The issue is that the tank bracket is riveted to the tank and also thru a reinforcing plate. What we have found when restoring these is the tank will have stress cracks radiating out from the rivet holes. What we generally do is remove the bracket, remove the reinforcing plate and weld the cracks and holes in the tank and plate. Then redrill the holes and rivet the bracket onto the tank again. Otherwise the sealer will pull loose as the bracket is vibrated. Then the weep starts again. Even epoxies (i.e.: JB Weld, etc.) can break loose over time.

FWIW, if the repair to the tank is done correctly, -and if a driver is smart about entering the vehicle, it will last forever.

This similar to what we found on my 29 Sport Coupe 15 years ago.

After removing tank from car, striping paint in the area of clamp mounting then cleaning, we found an inch long stress crack near the edge of the bracket.

Crack is not under the solder that holds the bracket or radiating from a rivet mounting hole.

Crack was / is an inch away from the edge of closest solder holding the bracket.

After drilling small hole at each end of the crack, a brass patch was soldered over the crack and bracket was re-soldered.

Then we installed the 1931 steering column bracket and removed the lower 1/2 of the original steering column bracket and the rubber piece, to remove stress on tank.

It has been 15 years and 20,000 miles ... no leaks.

Last edited by Benson; 04-11-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:34 AM   #19
Andrfudson31

Do you intend to hold onto the car? Are you seeking a thorough repair or just the most economical solution?

Two years back, I parted ways with our 1929 model, which we cherished for 42 years. Around 40 years ago, I addressed a similar issue. Removing the tank wasn't too demanding. I cleaned and treated it with a sloshing procedure—twice, in fact. Upon reinstallation, it never leaked again, preserving the original position of the steering column mount.

Wishing you the best of luck with your repair endeavors.
Andrfudson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:08 AM   #20
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrfudson31 View Post
Do you intend to hold onto the car? Are you seeking a thorough repair or just the most economical solution?

Two years back, I parted ways with our 1929 model, which we cherished for 42 years. Around 40 years ago, I addressed a similar issue. Removing the tank wasn't too demanding. I cleaned and treated it with a sloshing procedure—twice, in fact. Upon reinstallation, it never leaked again, preserving the original position of the steering column mount.

Wishing you the best of luck with your repair endeavors.

This is weird! Same think I wrote with just a few words changed.

Strange.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote