Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:27 AM   #21
Randy in ca

Default Re: Mac's USA made master cylinder or so I thought

The same master cylinder was used on pickups as on cars, the numbers for which I referred to above. Check the alternate numbers, "Applications", etc. on your link above to confirm this. Click on "Related Items" to see (I would bet on) the "Taiwan version" which you received.

All that's likely happened here, as I suggested previously, is that the wrong "USA version" Mac's label has somehow gotten placed on the Taiwan version boxes. Not unbelievable given the thousands upon thousands of parts they handle. Why would they do this intentionally?? When they sell both versions do you really think they would deliberately try to rip customers off in this manner? Send it back for exchange and get over it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac's master cylinder #3.jpg (88.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Randy in ca; 05-22-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:40 AM   #22
expavr

C&G Ford lists both USA made and Chinese made M/C . http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/showp...s=5&g=44&t=184
If C&G says USA made you can take it to the bank. Since you have serious doubts about MACs M/C source why not just return it and order a USA made M/C from C&G?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #23
Eckler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
What I received is not even the part number that I ordered. I ordered their part number 47-20092-1 For the 1/2 ton pickup. They sent me their part number 64-20092 for the passenger car. It also claims to have boot and push rod, but there is no push rod in the box. That part number also claims to be made in the USA.

I called customer support and a nice young woman apologized and said that should not have happened to me. She said that the man responsible for rectifying the wrong order will contact me within 48 hours. She said he requires that time to do a full research on what happened.

I will keep you guys posted.

How about it Mac's representative here on Ford Barn, how do you explain this? Not only did I get the wrong part, it was incomplete and also claims to be made in the USA when obviously it is not. Wrong part, incomplete, and lied about where it is made. Please explain?
Let me do a little more looking into this. A lot of times our sourcing department will re-source a product without telling us. So in turn we don't change it on the website and change the price accordingly. I think that is what happened here but let me dig a little deeper before i say that for certain.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #24
Kurt in NJ

Make box in USA, put imported part in box = made in USA with USA and imported parts. ---sometimes even the box looks imported, only the label is USA
It's cheaper to ship in bulk packaging, assembled boxes take up space, plus you get to add "made in USA"
Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
The same master cylinder was used on pickups as on cars, the numbers for which I referred to above. Check the alternate numbers, "Applications", etc. on your link above to confirm this. Click on "Related Items" to see (I would bet on) the "Taiwan version" which you received.

All that's likely happened here, as I suggested previously, is that the wrong "USA version" Mac's label has somehow gotten placed on the Taiwan version boxes. Not unbelievable given the thousands upon thousands of parts they handle. Why would they do this intentionally?? When they sell both versions do you really think they would deliberately try to rip customers off in this manner? Send it back for exchange and get over it.
Would they do this on purpose?
Perhaps, YES. I own a small business in which I have been approached numerous times to create "Made in USA" labels. Requests have been for quantities in the thousands.
What do YOU think the labels are intended for? Legitimate purposes?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #26
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Make box in USA, put imported part in box = made in USA with USA and imported parts. ---sometimes even the box looks imported, only the label is USA
It's cheaper to ship in bulk packaging, assembled boxes take up space, plus you get to add "made in USA"
Not true, you do not get to add "Made in USA" using an end run like that. The FTC would take a dim view of that.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #27
Mike51Merc

I've had Mac's send me the wrong parts--- but their sticker on the package said they were the right parts. I think their people grab stuff off the shelves and then add their sticker on the box or plastic bag before shipping, so the added Mac's sticker reflects what you ordered-- not what you got.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #28
captaintaytay

Looking at the bottom of the box states "Distributed by Federal-Mogul Corporation, Southfield, MI. The word "Distributed" indicates to me it was sold by Federal-Mogul Corp. and probably made in Taiwan for Federal-Mogul Corp.

Last edited by captaintaytay; 05-22-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
Mart

The suppliers (manufacturers) have probably switched production to an offshore source. The sellers need to be careful that their descriptions are in synch with what the suppliers are sending in, even if the part is the "same" part it always has been.

Pure guesswork.

I bought a complete set of brakes for my T-Bird. Everything (shoes, cylinders and hoses) were made in China, the Master cylinder was made in Taiwan. Imagine how pleased I was having paid for the shipping all the way from the USA to the UK, to receive all this non USA stuff. (This wasn't from Macs.)

Mart.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #30
rotorwrench

How many antique american cars are in Red China? These parts are not made for their consumption.

With China gearing up there military and saber rattling in the south China sea, the free world may have to take another look at the "free" trade agreements. Red China, at some point may be able to do without us BUT, will we be able to do without them. Personally, I think we can but there will be a price to pay for it.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #31
J Franklin

Now they are calling it FAIR TRADE! Fair to whom?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #32
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
How many antique american cars are in Red China? These parts are not made for their consumption.

With China gearing up there military and saber rattling in the south China sea, the free world may have to take another look at the "free" trade agreements. Red China, at some point may be able to do without us BUT, will we be able to do without them. Personally, I think we can but there will be a price to pay for it.
Judging by thequoted prices from C&G the price to buy US made vs Chinese made will be 2X's more pricey. Decisions. Decisions.......
Old 05-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #33
54vicky

this is nothing new in the late 80s I had a miss in my OT race car had at least a dozen used modules GM electronic.so frustrated with the miss I thought I would buy a brand new GM module went to local GM dealer got a new in AC DELCO box made in USA.this came with the hologram logo sticker on it peeled off the AC made in USA logo sticker surprise underneath made in tiawan.in the end it was not the module just saying this is not a recent thing but getting worse with time
Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #34
Brian

'Judging by the quoted prices from C&G the price to buy US made vs Chinese made will be 2X's more pricey. Decisions. Decisions......'

.......The cost of cheap parts is considerably more than the price of quality
Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #35
Ralph Moore

I was looking at a plier type filter wrench. It had a big sticker on the side"assembled in USA" they were so proud of the fact that someone put the one screw in the middle holding the pliers together. Now that's skilled labor!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #36
johnh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckler's View Post
Let me do a little more looking into this. A lot of times our sourcing department will re-source a product without telling us. So in turn we don't change it on the website and change the price accordingly. I think that is what happened here but let me dig a little deeper before i say that for certain.
I would appreciate it. Right now I am waiting on the "48 hour" guy. What I received is not what I ordered and it is not made in the USA. Why Mac's puts a USA Made sticker on a part made in Taiwan other than to deceive I can't imagine. I paid more for the USA made part. I would appreciate receiving it.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #37
deuce_roadster

I had a discussion with someone in the know about things like this and something is "made" where the most cost happens. So if someone in the middle of Africa makes 3c/day and does 95 percent of the manufacturing, and the parts come to the USA and a guy making $45/hr in Cleveland Ohio does some final assembly, in the eyes of the current laws, it was "made in the USA". Also, "Made in America" can mean any country in North, South or Central America. We can blame the special interests that get laws that allow such things.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #38
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
C&G Ford lists both USA made and Chinese made M/C . http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/showp...s=5&g=44&t=184
If C&G says USA made you can take it to the bank. Since you have serious doubts about MACs M/C source why not just return it and order a USA made M/C from C&G?

Using your link above, it seems there's a little uncertainty with some of C&G's "Made in USA" master cylinders as well. Maybe human error does occur!!

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac's Master Cylinder discussion (C&G).jpg (85.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #39
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Using your link above, it seems there's a little uncertainty with some of C&G's "Made in USA" master cylinders as well. Maybe human error does occur!!

-
Your point is well taken, although there is a clear disclaimer about the source. My axiom on such things is when in doubt pick up the phone and ask. I've yet to get an uninformed response from the folks at C&G. It seems to me what's at issue here is questionable advertising. If someone pays more for the "Made in USA" logo on the casting then IMO the product should have 100% USA labor invested in the manufacturing process. Whether or not the "Made in USA" part functions any better is a whole nother subject that can be debated until the cows come home.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #40
choppedtudor

At the conclusion of WWII, the US occupied Japan and started importing Japanese goods to kick start Japan's economy. Most of the imported stuff was plain junk, the materials used to make metal parts was soft and weak. The joke was that if you scratched the paint off of a Japanese product it read "Budweiser" underneath, i.e., Japanese products were made from old beer cans. Japan struggled to improve quality and succeeded, as illustrated by its cars and motorcycles. The same thing is happening in China today, but China is getting a quick start because many American manufacturers moved their Quality Control to China along with machining capabilities. The result? Chinese goods range from competitive quality to the finest stone age products available. The real tragedy is the loss to the US in jobs, manufacturing capability and tech development. BTW, few people know that from the beginning of Ford Motor Company their cars were made with steel that was a better quality than Rolls Royce. I wouldn't want to make a bet on that today, as the reason for Ford's quality steel was the US ability to make top grade metals in large quantities, England just didn't have enough steel mills.
Closed Thread