Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
russcc

Default '40 Starter solenoid

The '40 set over the winter, and the solenoid would not pull in when I pushed the starter button. Gave the solenoid a light tap with the plastic hammer and it work fine after that. Any suggestion for controlling the apparent rust in the them when they set for a while ? I have a battery switch to ground right next to the battery, so in case the solenoid sticks closed, I can switch the battery off. Thank you Fordbarners
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
v8fordman

Default Re: '40 Starter solenoid

Most likely you do not have a rust problem, but more likely a corrosion problem. The magnetic core wires are coated, so they normally don't have any issues. The plunger, which carries the brass contact plate is usually cadmium plated and over time can become corroded which can cause two problems. 1) If a corrosive buildup becomes too serious the plunger can not move in the core when the magnetic field is created. It basically becomes bound. 2) The magnetic field becomes insulated from the plunger because of the corrosion.

The only way to "absolutely" fix it is to take it apart, clean it and basically rebuild it. Most people don't have the tools or knowledge to do that since the cap is crimped on. Otherwise, just keep tapping it until it doesn't work anymore and then send it to me for a rebuild. I used to do them all the time and still have all of my tools.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
slowforty

I changed my original solenoid for one i bought from e-bay. It was so poor quality i had to put a hammer under the hood because it stuck so often. I bought a good quality after market unit and the problem was solved. I took the off shore unit apart and could not believe how poorly it was made. On the plus side i now have fifty feet of copper wire.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
cas3

good old nos ones are often a buck or two at swap meets. i like the ones with the manual push button on them. cant buy em new i dont think
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Tinker

If you don't need the button or care, you can buy 6 volt tractor ones at most farm/fleet houses. What's kind of neat is they have a post for coil startup (6 volt). They do look however like the 50s modern unit. Plastic/bakelite.

https://www.completetractor.com/new-...RoCVlMQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Tinker; 04-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote