Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
compyello

Default New fuel pump or rebuild?

I was looking at sending my fuel pump out for a rebuild but then looked at the local parts store and a new aftermarket is available. The new pump is cheaper than a rebuild. The pump that was on my car is not original and does still have a remanufactured sticker. If I do get a new pump, the old one will not be discarded. Any thoughts? Any problems with a new pump vs a rebuild?
compyello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: New fuel pump or rebuild?

some of the pumps cannot be rebuilt easily, the check valves are pressed into the housing instead of two screws on a clip holding them in. a kit is less than $20 and just about anyone can rebuild one. if you don't think you can do that then buy a new one.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
russcc

If you rebuild, make sure you get an alcohol proof diaphragm, Charlie NY will have them. Easy job to do.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
Talkwrench

Just for info, hope im not hijacking. I purchased an Airtex one just recent, was going cheap thought I'd have a spare. I thought to myself whats up with the pivot on it ?? Its buggered as its not solid, its moving..?? anyway I checked the paperwork and its some new design, the pivot rocks or floats, aghhh? certainly doesn't feel right but they state it should last 4 times longer .. Anyone ever tried one of these?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Just for info, hope im not hijacking. I purchased an Airtex one just recent, was going cheap thought I'd have a spare. I thought to myself whats up with the pivot on it ?? Its buggered as its not solid, its moving..?? anyway I checked the paperwork and its some new design, the pivot rocks or floats, aghhh? certainly doesn't feel right but they state it should last 4 times longer .. Anyone ever tried one of these?
Talkwrench - I'd sure like to see pictures of that pump and more info on it....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
19Fordy

Don't discard your old pump. You may find you can rebuild it as a spare.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

TW,
Instead of a bushed 1/4" hole in the standard arm this arm has a 1/4" slot. Both arms
pivot on a hardened 1/4" pin. The pivoting in the slotted arm takes place at the bottom of the slot once the free play is taken up. This is an OLD design and it works fine.....but no finer or longer lasting than the original design.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Drbrown

Personally I would preferred spending a little extra to get stock items rebuilt. The off-shore casting metals are often of lower grade material. Likewise, I like keeping our guys in the US busy and they are better at inspecting the items being rebuilt.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Talkwrench - I'd sure like to see pictures of that pump and more info on it....

Well I think Charlie just answered it .. There's no physical difference to look it.
But it sure 'feels' funny as we all hold them and push up and down with our thumb just to check and feel but these ones you don't get any 'reaction' or sucking out of them. I think they have to be mounted to work..
Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #10
compyello

Charlie ny, I sent you an email
Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
koates

Some years ago I purchased one of those bloody new pumps with the floating arm and could not get it to pump anything on my original 34 ford. Had it on and off the car several times measuring push rod lift etc, etc. There seemed to be just too much free travel on the arm for the push rod to operate it effectively. Ended up rebuilding the original 34 pump with the standard arm and it worked fine and has since. I still have that pump in its box. So whats going on here ? Why the modified arm ? Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
compyello

Koates, good to know. Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Some years ago I purchased one of those bloody new pumps with the floating arm and could not get it to pump anything on my original 34 ford. Had it on and off the car several times measuring push rod lift etc, etc. There seemed to be just too much free travel on the arm for the push rod to operate it effectively. Ended up rebuilding the original 34 pump with the standard arm and it worked fine and has since. I still have that pump in its box. So whats going on here ? Why the modified arm ? Regards, Kevin.

Charlie answered it, its just a different design.. Im really having doubts about wether it can pump anything too. Guess at some point soon I'll put it on and see what happens..
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #14
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Charlie answered it, its just a different design.. Im really having doubts about wether it can pump anything too. Guess at some point soon I'll put it on and see what happens..
Well I am dam sure I could not get that new design pump to work on my stock 34 ford. Just far to much free play in the lever for the push rod to compensate for the extra movement required before the diaphragm began to move. I even thought of fitting an original lever from a rebuild kit into it so that it was a standard set up, but I did not do that. I must have another look at that new pump and compare the arm movement dimensions to a stock pump. All seems very strange. I think the original specs for the push rod lift was only about 3/16" max which is not enough movement to operate the diaphragm on that new pump. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote