Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2024, 06:17 PM   #1
wrndln

Default Front seatback riser question

I have a 28/29 front seatback riser that I have a question about. The riser is just like the one in my 28 special coupe. The question I have is: is the same riser used on 28/29 roadsters? I believe it is, but I am not 100% sure. I know the 2 spot welded brackets toward the lower middle (first picture) are only used on coupes. They would need to be removed for a roadster, as well as the 2 L shaped brackets that hold the backrest frame for a coupe that are riveted to the top of the riser. Any help would be appreciated.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:17 PM   #2
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Front seatback riser question

It doesn’t look like the seat riser on my 29 roadster. The coupe seats that have a wooden frame are also different from the roadster seats which don’t have a wooden frame.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
gdmn852

Hello, pictures of 31 roadster seat riser if this helps.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:22 PM   #4
rotorwrench

They are very similar but what is different is the way the seat back cushion riser and the lower cushion support interface. They tie in to the lower edge of the C-pillars on the rear quarter panels to give the body extra support, The lower cushion support is very different between the two.

Replacement sheet metal parts are available for the riser and support plus the stiffeners that tie in to the C-pillar. A person may be able to use the same seat back riser for either body but is may need some sheet metal work where the interface happens.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:28 PM   #5
gdmn852

Hello again, the 31 has a angle bracket that mounts to body sub frame and attachs to the quarter panel, which is is probably different than the 28 29 . The bracket reinforces the quarter panel quite a bit.The bracket can be seen in lower left of picture . Sorry can’t be of more help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E553E77E-C9EC-49F0-BF6C-9A009D7A7574.jpg (51.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:23 PM   #6
gdmn852

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...d=976374&cat=0 Link (hopefully) to Snyders catolog.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:31 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Just to add, the way the seat back cushion is mounted between 28 & 29 roadster and coupe is also different. The coupe seat backs have a mounting that has two hooks that fit into the front wood piece on the package tray then bolts at the bottom to those two clips in the first photo in post #1. The roadster has a wood frame that attaches to the riser with three of a different type of clip and then the three vertical wood members of that frame attach directly to the tack strip wood piece that the top fabric is attached to.

Different clips may require closing holes on one type prior to fitting clips for the other type. Those new parts come undrilled so they can be fit for either coupe or roadster.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote