Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2024, 11:05 PM   #21
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: T5 5 speed to 1935 Ford Pickup speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey Tom ..... Your particular installation is of interest to me and another F'Barner that is about to mount a T5 in his '32 with a flathead. He is really reluctant to cut his center crossmember (if that is possible) to facilitate making this installation. I found pictures of a similar build that make it appear to be possible with about 1/8" to spare. If you don't mind, could you give us a brief run-down on how you mounted your T5 at the "K"-member? Thank you, Tom!

Coop

Sure but my center crossmember was all ready butchered in my roadster with no top portion of the K member. I bent up a heavy duty 1/2” bar and bolted it in place with huge bolts just in case I needed to ever remove it fo any reason. I could ten slip the motor and trans as a unit after cutting the “fin” off the 5-speed and hooked it over the trimmed out bottom portion of the center of the k member. ThenI used the “X” out of a 35-40 frame and trimmed to go straight back iff the K member and then have it angle into the outer frame rails somewhere before the rear kickup. I used a 36 rear with cut down rear radius rods and cut up a 350 tranny mount to a 1x2 heavy wall between the two legs of the “x”. I know this all sounds like mud but if you send me your email address here in a message I will send you some pictures so you get the idea. I know it works really well as I have driven it across the country 3-times, up and down the east coast, Texas, etc, etc and I was rear ended and me and the car survived. Upnto this point I had only dabbled in 40 Fords. This was my first hot rod build even prior to je knowing anything about the Hamb.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:07 PM   #22
51504bat

Rusty re did the SW speedometer in my '39 p/u as well as making a cable to connect the speedometer in my '54 Ranch Wagon to an AOD trans. He sold me the NOS Speedometer head and face place for the wagon as well. He doesn't work on all brands of speedometers that Ford used but if yours is one of the ones he does you can't go wrong with having him square your unit away. JMO
Old 01-10-2024, 11:59 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Sure but my center crossmember was all ready butchered in my roadster with no top portion of the K member. I bent up a heavy duty 1/2” bar and bolted it in place with huge bolts just in case I needed to ever remove it fo any reason. I could ten slip the motor and trans as a unit after cutting the “fin” off the 5-speed and hooked it over the trimmed out bottom portion of the center of the k member. ThenI used the “X” out of a 35-40 frame and trimmed to go straight back iff the K member and then have it angle into the outer frame rails somewhere before the rear kickup. I used a 36 rear with cut down rear radius rods and cut up a 350 tranny mount to a 1x2 heavy wall between the two legs of the “x”. I know this all sounds like mud but if you send me your email address here in a message I will send you some pictures so you get the idea. I know it works really well as I have driven it across the country 3-times, up and down the east coast, Texas, etc, etc and I was rear ended and me and the car survived. Upnto this point I had only dabbled in 40 Fords. This was my first hot rod build even prior to je knowing anything about the Hamb.
TomT ..... You have forgotten by now, but YOU have graciously already sent me those pictures about a year ago or so. As always, your intentions to go the extra mile for someone else's benefit are much appreciated.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 02:56 AM   #24
Krylon32

One thing I forgot was for cross member clearance I did have to use a gear driven 90 degree adapter on the 350 trans.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote