Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #21
Fullraceflathead

Default Re: Cylinder heads

I like that combustion chamber design!!!

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 10:34 AM   #22
GeneBob

"If I asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses."
-Henry Ford
Full Race - Your signature line is funny. I interviewed with Ford in the 1990's and I mentioned "building what people want" and the interviewer replied that Ford tells the customer what the customer wants. I could not believe the arrogance.
They asked why they should hire me and I replied, "I have worked on your cars, you need me."
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:26 PM   #23
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
I notice there is no relief over the pistons.
When running higher than 7 to 1 or so, I would suggest people think about heli-coils in the block in addition to the ARP studs with their washers and nuts. Putting high strength studs in doesn't give you full strength unless the threads in the block can carry the load. Especially, if you are adding a few extra ft-lbs to the torque (65 instead of 55). If you are building from scratch, your engine builder can check the threads in the block and make the call on inserts.
I am sure there will a lot of response regarding the torque but you want to take full advantage of high strength studs for higher compression engines.

I now put a .040" relief over the pistons. .040" over 1/2 of the piston doesn't make much difference in ratio.

I've been racing Model B engines since 1958, and have never needed to heli-coil the block, and I have run 10:1 compression and 6,000 RPM, and now run 7.5:1 and a turbo at 10 psi, with no problems. On my OHV Cook I now have the cylinders 'O' ringed. I also ran full babbitt, including the 'B', rods for many years and the mains are still babbitt. The crank is a drilled for pressure 'C', standard but not new when I first put it together in 1960. I torque the Cook to 70 psi. Top speed to date is 167.45 MPH
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #24
Flathead

Thanks for sharing your knowledge by writing that most excellent book!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:35 PM   #25
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Jim,

Can I get on the list for one of your heads?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 01:07 PM   #26
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
..... I interviewed with Ford in the 1990's and I mentioned "building what people want" and the interviewer replied that Ford tells the customer what the customer wants.......
Most people are under the mistaken idea that they are customers of Ford Motor Company. Ford could care less about input from the owners of their cars. The car buyer is the dealers customer. The dealer is Ford's customer and they have very little input as to what shows up at their door. They get a message that X number of cars are on the way and to have a check ready. Ford (for the most part) doesn't care how the dealer gets rid of the cars since they'll be getting paid for the next shipment they send in a short while. A friend was a PR contractor for Ford. He got us into some of the Ford events they host to bounce ideas off the public as to what they want to see in a car. Those events went from an interview type meeting for the low dollar cars all the way to sit down dinners with wine and professionally done videos and a cozy exit interview. I also did some pre production ride & drives. In the end they weren't really asking what you wanted but if you liked and would buy what they had decided to build. Of course you agreed after all you were leaving with $100 - $200. I got an invite about 6 months ago. It paid $150 for a 1 hour survey in Pasadena (20 miles away). I figured it would stretch to 2 hours and put me in the middle of SoCal traffic so I declined.

Last edited by ModelA29; 10-16-2023 at 01:23 PM.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote