Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2023, 06:50 AM   #1
ronn

Default ad nauseum-pun intended..............

I know it has been described innumerable amounts of times, the selling of a car and which ads work best.

always had decent success with ebay. However, the last 3x I sold a car, the buyers went MIA. Never heard from again and of course, no accountability.
So many have mentioned Hemmings, but I do see their rates went way way up. As in 100. listing fee and then 5% of the sale.
So my question is- Facebook? has that been successful for you and if not, what other avenues. A poll on this would be great, but not quite sure how to set that up........
Once again, your thoughts in the chging climate of our economy.
(btw sold 5 cars on ebay 3 yrs ago with a 100% sell through rate-times were good) thanks!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:06 AM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: ad nauseum-pun intended..............

My experience here on FB hasn’t been that great with parts (no cars). People respond, agree…then never heard from. Answering “wanted” is even worse so I quit those.
I think it’s the nature of the beast.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:16 AM   #3
WHN

I have used Hemmings three time in the last five years. Cars sold in very short time with many very interested people.

Last one sold in two days, for full asking price.

Listings were at a flat rate, with no commission to Hemmings. Sold on line, but they were also listed in their magazine.

Used many pictures, with good description of everything that had been done to the car since I owned it. You almost can’t tell to much.

I highly recommend Hemmings. You end up getting what you pay for. Hemmings to me, is worth the cost.

Good luck.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #4
[email protected]

For what it's worth -- I think you will find different quality of buyers in different media. FB probably has more tire kickers, whereas more legitimate, informed buyers are using Hemmings to search for vehicles. Craigslist used to be a good source, but is riddled with scammers. Lastly, the cliche seems true, "you get what you pay for" and thus, Hemmings. But I might ad that in my area of New England, I have seen a lot of nice "A's" on FaceBook, and that is where I found my roadster. FaceBook is cheap--so why not do both FB and Hemmings?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Is Bring-A-Trailer an option? ...and what is their Buyer success rate like??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 AM   #6
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I know it has been described innumerable amounts of times, the selling of a car and which ads work best.

always had decent success with ebay. However, the last 3x I sold a car, the buyers went MIA. Never heard from again and of course, no accountability.
So many have mentioned Hemmings, but I do see their rates went way way up. As in 100. listing fee and then 5% of the sale.
So my question is- Facebook? has that been successful for you and if not, what other avenues. A poll on this would be great, but not quite sure how to set that up........
Once again, your thoughts in the chging climate of our economy.
(btw sold 5 cars on ebay 3 yrs ago with a 100% sell through rate-times were good) thanks!

I bought the online plus print package from Hemmings to sell my dad's 46 Mercury coupe. Took lots of pictures, etc. It went live on the website first, not a single call. Then a few weeks later, the print magazine came out. We got a few phone calls from people offering to sell te car for us for a fee (scammers), and about a dozen emails offering to send a cashier's check for an amount greater than the asking price, but wanting a refund of the difference (slimy scammers). Not one single legitimate potential buyer. The package cost $149! Should have just wadded up that money and thrown it in the trash instead, and saved the aggravation of the scammers.

Hemmings used to be a great way to sell a collector car, but not any more (that is just my opinion). We still have the 46 Mercury, and a thinner wallet.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
oldspert

Bought my 29 Special coupe off of facebook marketplace. No hassle, local purchase so I looked at the car before buying. Best way to sell IMHO.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #8
Banditorama

The last car I sold was in 2018, so things may be different now. I listed my old Mustang on Facebook and all I got were people offering me less than half of what I listed it for.

Craigslist was where I found serious buyers. Four people came to look at it and I rejected their offers. The fifth guy who came and saw it ended up taking it home that night. Of course I got several scam texts, so keep that in mind. If someone wants to buy it sight unseen and mail you a check, odds are they're scammers. Cash in hand, or don't waste my time
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:50 AM   #9
ronn

OK guys, so it seems an assortment. When I went on Hemmings this morning, all I saw was the listing fee- 100. no problem, but then a 5% fee on top of that, which I thought was on the high side.
Brent, I am selling mostly projects, so is that in line with BAT or are they rejecting those in favor of nicely done cars? Most what I see on BAT tends to be higher end or if a project, a 2002 or a 200 series sl, Pantera etc.

Could just be the economy, but like I said, all losers on ebay, as of late. Whereas a couple of yrs ago, did terrific on ebay.
Never tried BAT. Their fees seem reasonable if listing a project yourself. I think 100.
maybe 400. if letting them list and you have a decent car over 10k.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:54 AM   #10
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I bought the online plus print package from Hemmings to sell my dad's 46 Mercury coupe.
It's a nice-looking car! I wonder if this indicates something about the kind of collector who's reading Hemmings. Maybe that audience is looking for something more turn-key in a postwar vehicle.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:11 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

Ronn, The last few cars I sold were off the curb, in front of my house. My SAAB 9000 was the last, two weeks ago and it was back in the trees. The guy spotted it from the road. I've got a 1932 American Austin coupe out there now. Lotsa lookers, but no one wants a project any more. When the Austin goes, I' ll put the 30 Town Sedan out next. I'm on a highway, Pa563, so I get good exposure. If I recall, you aren't too far from a couple of highways. I don't like sharing the 5% with anyone either. I'm usually working pretty close on the prices and that 5% is very important.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
OK guys, so it seems an assortment. When I went on Hemmings this morning, all I saw was the listing fee- 100. no problem, but then a 5% fee on top of that, which I thought was on the high side.
Brent, I am selling mostly projects, so is that in line with BAT or are they rejecting those in favor of nicely done cars? Most what I see on BAT tends to be higher end or if a project, a 2002 or a 200 series sl, Pantera etc.

Could just be the economy, but like I said, all losers on ebay, as of late. Whereas a couple of yrs ago, did terrific on ebay.
Never tried BAT. Their fees seem reasonable if listing a project yourself. I think 100.
maybe 400. if letting them list and you have a decent car over 10k.

Yes, BaT is very selective on what they will accept. Scammers are everywhere these days, so I'm not sure where someone should go to market something.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #13
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I bought my 29 Roadster off the MAFCA site. I probably paid a little more for it but it met my criteria. I wanted a car within driving distance so I could see and drive it, and I wanted a car registered in California to minimize the hassle with DMV.

The MAFCA site worked out well for me. The seller did tell me he turned down several buyer who he deemed scammers.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #14
Pete

I think I screwed up when I built a car that does it all. I have had it on The FB classified for several years and only one looker that wanted me to come down in price a ridiculous amount.
It went fast at Bonneville 163.93 (no records). When first built it held a local drag record in it's class at 120.4 in 11.34 sec. ,it went fast at hillclimbs, it went very fast at backwoods dirt road rallies, it went fast at autocross, it was reliable and tame on the street,
it was excellent on the freeway, and it would putt along in a parade all day.
Early days it had a flathead, now a SBC.
It is still fun to drive to picnics.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:58 PM   #15
ronn

David, Im looking for more then Mafca. I have various makes to sell and 10-15 need to get sold. True, most need some work.
Chevy ford buick pierce a couple of wagons and a little brass.

though that might be a good start..............
Old 10-10-2023, 08:47 PM   #16
ModelA29

Pristine show car any make = BAT has become the go to site.

Model As are a different story. Unless it's a rare body style or restoration award winner there isn't much sense advertising nationally. There are 2 more just like yours closer to any buyer. The buyer will not be able to verify your car without hiring an "expert" to come inspect it. The buyer will need to find transportation which adds to the cost. There needs to be some type of transaction worked out to transfer the funds and car that each stranger is agreeable to. All of which adds up to a whole bunch of clickey loos wanting to ask questions and get photos of your car (probably so they can make up their own ad to scam someone). Craigslist now charges for car ads that are not real effective. Stick it in your chapter newsletter and those within a reasonable distance. People looking for a collectable car will generally contact their local club. I gave up looking at cars in SoCal and went to the MAFCA chapters page and searched their newsletters for the car I bought. It was about 250 miles away.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:07 AM   #17
nkaminar

Local Model A clubs and Model A magazines. Buyers there tend to be real.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 06:33 AM   #18
ronn

For the model As, I agree.

Terry, sounds like you have a real good street spot. Maybe I should give that a whirl........
I do realize time of yr makes a difference as well. I find after Thanksgiving, things tend to be slower around the northeast.

thanks for the input.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:40 AM   #19
Dennisfly

Hagarty's Drivers Club has a good classified. You have to join the club to list but the listing is free. The club starts at $45 but includes a decent magazine, some towing, etc. and no sales commission. You might give it a look.

https://www.hagerty.com/marketplace
Old 10-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #20
David in San Antonio

I bought the Wretched Roadster by joining the Alamo As Club and going to meetings. The car wasn’t being advertised yet but the owner is a club member and people knew he was looking for a buyer. One of the members agreed to accompany me to look over the car.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote