Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #41
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

I used to feel the same way about modificaton and I am purist....but not interested in putting them on a show field. Don't care what a "judge" thinks of them.
But, I had rather see someone rod something than for it to sit is a dark basement never finished, never seeing daylight.
The thing with the hobby is that is should be activity-based. I am a huge culprit of not being a joiner-inner!
If they make it run and enjoy it, that's the hobby part.
There have been many posts about being up-side-down, losing money, can't get out of it and on and on. You don't join a golf or tennis club to make money.
If you are in this to make money....you're a dealer not a hobbyist. And you should evaluate a market according to demand (and supply) and be able to purchase "right".
I know this is a bit off subject of the original post. My comment to that is that you do have to stick with the more desirable, rarer cars. You will be up-side-down in a tudor, fordor or coupe just because of the cost of any restoration part of the process versus market.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #42
Hoogah

Default Re: Not much demand for Model As at any price or is it antique cars in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
Those VW buses were good at damaging legs in an accident? A bit of tin and the VW badge with the drum brakes between you and the impact.

I bet they didn't advertise that ...
Yeah they should have put something more substantial there . . .
. . . like a PETROL TANK!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #43
denis4x4

Recently sold a '31 ccpu at a bargain price. Had three confirmed buyers until they got the transport price. Sold it to a gentleman that had a private party pick it up and deliver it. Never lost a dime buying and selling woodies.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #44
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
I used to feel the same way about modificaton and I am purist....but not interested in putting them on a show field. Don't care what a "judge" thinks of them.
But, I had rather see someone rod something than for it to sit is a dark basement never finished, never seeing daylight.
The thing with the hobby is that is should be activity-based. I am a huge culprit of not being a joiner-inner!
If they make it run and enjoy it, that's the hobby part.
this exactly, i dont care what it is but as long as it gets out of the garage and driven more than 10 miles a year im happy! i may only get to go to a handful of cruise ins a year but just driving around is my enjoyment.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #45
ian Simpson

The cost of the restoration is the price you pay for participating in a very engrossing hobby.

The cash you get when you sell is what somebody else values the car at.

There is no correlation between the two.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #46
1930marie

For me, restoring cars has always been a constructive and rewarding way to spend a bit of my spare time. My wife loves to travel and there are several places on my "bucket-list!" However, there is something about an early morning Sunday drive in a 1912 Ford Touring or a 1930 deluxe roadster that makes me feel more alive. Probably the pride I've earned knowing I can put one of these things together and make them purr! Now ask yourself, don't we all have this pride with our cars? I have never thought of putting a price on it, it's just my entertainment and how I prefer to spend my time and money.
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #47
1930marie

uh-oh. I guess I forgot to mention I also have six ex- wifes! Just kidding!
1930marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 AM   #48
mike657894

my car was given to me with the understanding that i would never sell it. so monetary value means little to me. I had looked at the car for 31 years before it became mine.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:03 AM   #49
mike657894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
The cost of the restoration is the price you pay for participating in a very engrossing hobby.

something is only worth what the buyer will pay. if something has no price is it priceless or worthless?
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #50
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930marie View Post
For me, restoring cars has always been a constructive and rewarding way to spend a bit of my spare time. My wife loves to travel and there are several places on my "bucket-list!" However, there is something about an early morning Sunday drive in a 1912 Ford Touring or a 1930 deluxe roadster that makes me feel more alive. Probably the pride I've earned knowing I can put one of these things together and make them purr! Now ask yourself, don't we all have this pride with our cars? I have never thought of putting a price on it, it's just my entertainment and how I prefer to spend my time and money.
My feelings and situation are exactly the same as you have described. I have a 31 Roadster & a 31 Sedan and get so much enjoyment in driving and maintaining both of these fine cars. I start my day around 3:30 and at times am in the garage with my cars at 4AM doing some maintenance or adjustments that may be needed. Definitely not a money maker but definitely offers lots of interesting entertainment .
Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #51
Tomy Turbos

A comment on 'asking prices':

More often than one might think, the ask is deliberately too high because the guy doesn't really want to sell it. But he has to keep the Missus happy when she says 'Honey, you need to sell that thing'.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #52
Steve_Mack_CT

Tomy Turbos, that, or "maybe I will get lucky" - had a friend quote a ridicules price for a "resto rod" caddy he had and the car actually sold - for probably $25K over what he might have listed it for had he not been approached, he was not even planning to sell at the time.

Anyone who follows the buy sell section of the AACA web site on Fordbarn? What about the REO sedan @ $19K - seen a few of these cars this year, non-Ford, non-Full Classics at bargain prices.

We are lucky that a LOT of people like the security of the strong following/parts and knowledge network/club support and ready market the Model A enjoys.

Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; 12-18-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Steve_Mack_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #53
FrankWest

I think when the baby boomers die off there will be almost NO demand For Cars from the 1920's.
I used to teach college and I was amazed that most of my students would not even watch a movie that was made before 1970! They considered it not relevant. My son laughed at me when I told him my 1933 model b had a 50 HP engine. He has a plastic corvette with a 400 HP Hemi! The only things today's generation likes from the 20's and 30's is Al Capone and John Dillinger because they like the violence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LifeSavers.jpg (62.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-18-2015 at 07:08 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #54
A Rookie

As to the market- Its in the toilet for project cars, done cars or gennie drivers its still pretty good but not great..
My take on asking prices is simply that no one will pay it as a rule. They balk at FIRM and run when not accepting trades. So I jack everything 20% and will accept 1/2 in trade IF full price is accepted. IF it meets my interest areas.
My rules on trades are simple
1. No title NO deal
2. NO back 40 rust bucket escapees Unless its a Duzzie, pre 35 classic era Packard/Caddy etc. , GT 40 ,pre 68 'Vette, or complete driving titled pre 40 Ford 2dr or cpe. I am NOT interested
3. Get it HERE, I do not have the means to travel and PU a shoebox much less a car.
That's pretty much it.

Last edited by A Rookie; 12-18-2015 at 04:09 PM.
A Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #55
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I think when the baby boomers die off there will be almost NO demand For Car from the 1920's.
I used to teach college and I was amazed that most of my students would not even watch a movie that was made before 1970! They considered it not relevant. My son laughed at me when I told him my 1933 model b had a 50 HP engine. He has a plastic corvette with a 400 HP Hemi! The only things today's generation likes from the 20's and 30's is Al Capone and John Dillinger because they like the violence.
guess im a rare bird...some of my favorite TV watching when i was single digit age was old Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, Charlie Chan, Buster Keaton and of course The 3 Stooges. Movies of the era are more believable that some of the crap they have out now where the previews are the best parts

I love the music of the era too and of course the whole speakeasy scene. WW1 and WW2 fascenate me too, its interesting to think about what technology we would NOT have today if WW1 and 2 didnt happen.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #56
Barry B./ Ma.

I recently sold my 30 std. roadster after getting only 3 calls from my ad in Hemmings but needed to drop the price several thousand $$. The new owner is delighted and it was just what he was looking for as a nice show/driver. I used some of the money to buy a nice 86 Ford step side pickup from Ariz.which I could register as antique and use around the place. New pickups are ridiculously expensive and this one should increase in value down the road.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #57
Tomy Turbos

Yeah, Steve. It takes all kinds.

I know of many instances where a car didn't sell until AFTER the price was raised. I never did get my wits fully wrapped around the precise mechanisms of this other than knowing that there are some people out there who perceive value purely in dollar signs. You know, the kind of person whose dog can jump higher than yours.

And then there's simply waiting for the right buyer. For years I had the mistaken notion that you can't sell a convertible after October, so I wasn't even offering them. A friend disabused me of the notion and since then the two of the last three drop-tops I've sold were in December and January. The take home is that the people who want convertibles, want convertibles. And that's what they buy.

Antique vehicles have always had and will continue to have a much more narrow market, and the reasons for this are numerous. Financing is high on the list, and it ties in strongly to the overall economy. I think this is more significant than desirability or fashion trend, though it is true that "reliving one's childhood" is a factor. A guy who Graduated in 1970 can now get that '69 Camaro SS he so desperately wanted back then.

My mother (born in 1930) stopped by the other day and I showed her the '29 I have in here. Her eyes lit up and she began to recount stories of her and her little sister all bundled up in the rumble seat on the long, perilous trip from East Cleveland to Euclid on the way to Aunt Margaret's for Christmas, etc.
Etc...
Etc...
Seeing the Old Gal turn into a little girl again through her memories -- Priceless!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #58
3thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I think when the baby boomers die off there will be almost NO demand For Cars from the 1920's.
We brought our very nice '31 Tudor to Mesa Arizona for the winter, and have had it in three car shows since we got down here. The only interest is in cars with blowers sticking out of the hoods. The only guys that have shown any interest in our car were already Model A enthusiasts!

Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #59
mister32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post

I guess I need to tell the construction company building a house... "The cost for you to build the house is the price you pay for participating in a very engrossing hobby."

Why is it that skilled labor and time when applied to a car is worthless?

Everyone that says "This is meant to be a hobby only"... Anything you have ever bought for your car has been because someone was willing to dedicate a good portion of their life to bringing you products for it. Including the car itself. Model A's were not produced as a hobby and given away for free?

The next time you buy oil or spark plugs you will be paying someone a profit....That's the only reason the product is available for you to buy.

Last edited by mister32; 12-19-2015 at 11:56 AM.
mister32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #60
FrankWest

As time passes there probably be less and less demand. How is the demand for model T's
I love model A's and early 30's cars but have NO interest in owning a model T. Model T's are interesting but I am not interested in that early era. Any car is a large item that needs care, unlike an antique firearm that can just be displayed and needs almost no upkeep.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote