Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
IrishHills

Default The "Pickers"

Anyone catch the American Pickers last night? Frank bought an A that had been restored and stored since the 70s for 5500. After they got home they called the car pro to come out to see how he did. Well he said Model As were all over "millions" and not worth much, felt he didn't get a good deal.
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
MrTube

Default Re: The "Pickers"

I didn't see the show but I'd be very happy getting an "A" for under $8K.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
'31 Patina

I saw it. I thought it was funny that the "car pro" told Frank that it was maybe worth $5,000 and said he would have a hard time getting his money back out of it.

The "car pro" was surprised that Frank would pay that much for it because there were over a million model A's produced and everyone has one. I also thought it was funny that they kept calling it a roadster when it was clearly a coupe.
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
IrishHills

I think the rumble seat confused them on it being a roadster.
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
azmodela
BANNED

It's not an issue of what he paid, it's more of what he has in it. In the episode he said he had $7000 in it which includes the purchase price, shipping, and his overhead on the trip to Michigan to pick.

Considering it doesn't run, it's a 70's amateur restoration, likely full of "Rick's" parts, lots of incorrect parts, it's been sitting for 20+ years, and it's just a 29' coupe, he's probably close to his break even point right around $7000.

You have to wonder... The guy died a year ago (2010), the car sat for 21 or 22 years (1990 +-), and it was restored in the 70's (let's say 1975). So the car was driven post restoration for 15 years. What happened to the car that is was parked? Babbitt gone? Toss a rod? Or something else? Often the cars that are parked for a long time are done so for a reason!

I certainly wouldn't pay $7000 for that car as it sits in the episode.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Was a stupid show.. maybe they should do some home work first. he got a great deal for a driver in my opinion
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Richard/Ca

I didn't hear what Frank said about the dual tail lights. Sound something like the dual tail lights making it a deluxe model roadster. Also they probably could trade the wheels for some 21 in. if they wanted to. Still I think both seller and buyer were happy so what the big deal. The one thing I would like to tell Frank is to( Find a better auto expert).

Last edited by Richard/Ca; 09-20-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: forgot this part
Richard/Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
Was a stupid show.. maybe they should do some home work first. he got a great deal for a driver in my opinion
I agree with you however they have made pretty good ratings off of a "stupid show"! I think several in the know have said that very little about that show is factual. Most of it is pre-planned with Mike & Frank riding around in a large motorcoach, the items are pre-picked and the prices agreed upon before it goes to taping. To me, these shows are just like common sense which ain't to common, ....reality TV is not really reality.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard/Ca View Post
The one thing I would like to tell Frank is to( Find a better auto expert).
I agree,. This guy does not know a Chevrolet spark plug from a Ford transmission. As far as the price goes, I saw a T huckster go for 21,000$ on "Pawn (dumbasses) Stars" with a CD player and a Chevy motor and auto tranny as a "restored classic". I agree with Brent, not reality or common sense.

Last edited by James Rogers; 09-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Ross/Kzoo

I think that the show was successful as far as one point is concerned:

IT GOT A LOT OF PEOPLE WATCHING AND TALKING ABOUT IT.

Along with what James Rogers said, they don't know the difference between a jewel and a turd.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
George Miller

It's just another show, most of the time they walk right by the cars. Non of it is real.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
a sedan

some b.s on the show but I would think the a was worth the price, really dont think there car guy knows it all ... its all tv
a sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
B-O-B

Along with what James Rogers said, they don't know the difference between a jewel and a turd.

Mike did pay $50.00 a piece for a couple red jeweled license plate reflectors
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
dean from bozeman

All objections stated are understandable. However I still find it interesting to see what walks in the Pawn Shop door or what might be found and picked in some barn.

I'm entertained.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
FL&WVMIKE

I think that the "Car-Pro" was pretty much on. Antique cars are not selling for what they used to.
Frank got a decent "buy", but he did not steal it. The mechanics are unknown. It looks like a decent driver.
Frank will not keep it.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
Frank Miller

Pawn stars and American Restoration seem pretty real even though a lot of it is staged. When I look at some of these guys on Pickers I say to myself there is no way you are going to show up to this guys property with a full camera crew and haggle price. If I'm at Hershey holding a camera worth over $100 no one will deal with me. Like someone said it is just common sense.

Antique Roadshow is the one to watch. Interesting to see what people get at yard sales. Also interesting to see people being told their stuff is fake.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
willowbilly3

On one of their earlier shows they were leaning on a model A roadster pickup talking about the pick and no one even tried to buy the rpu. I thought that was odd, I would have been all over it instead of the dorky junk they bought.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

For "nostalgia purposes", ...here are some of the cars from previous episodes of Pickers:
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=1596786

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
Patrick L.

$7K for what was first a '31 DLX [because of the twin blue dot tail lights ?!] roadster.. Then it became a '29 coupe restored in the 70s.. Anyone pick up on the later model wheels and dual horns ??
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
TBone69

I love the show for the entertainment and find myself yelling at them all the time when they pass up cars or make some bogus statement or as in this case call a coupe a roadster.

Since everything else is made up my bet is they threw some dust on this thing and turned it into a barn find.

With all the "first start" videos on You Tube of someone bringing a A back to life that hasnt run in 50 years and looks like it just came from the junk yard, I bet Franks A is a driver with little to no effort.
TBone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #21
TBone69

Oh an to just add on more thing. Anyone else notice that pretty much everything bought on the show over the last year or so is still hanging on the wall in the shop.
TBone69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
a banger

In my experience "what it's worth" depends on if i'm buying or selling.
a banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Gumpy

to frank the car was a jewel and that all that matters....its not also the price you pay for something....its the want value...frank fell in love and may keep the car.....he already had a name for it!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #24
Purdy Swoft

First off the show is only entertainment. I usually watch it. The guys are not model A experts. As for the 29 standard coupe, I would think that if any, or most of us owned it and had worked on it and spent money in the process, we wouldn't want to sell it for six thousand dollars. There are people with money that know model A's, that would or have spent $50.000.00 for a 29 standard coupe, but the car was near perfect and not your everyday driver car. I would also think that most of us wouldn't pay $6000.00 for that particular model A, I know that I wouldn't. I'm not a purist but the car had been clowned up way too much for my taste.

I think that model A's are the most underpriced collector car on the market, especially if you take into account the money it will cost to build even a decent driver car. You've got to love them if you collect them. If you try to sell one you will most likely come out at a loss and this is just wrong.

The show really didn't help the perception or value of the model A in general. I think that the people that make the show had probably heard some of the harsh remarks made here about the show. Remarks like stupid show, negative remarks about the actors salary and all of the negative things said about Danelle. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the show was in retalliation to the model A community.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote