Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Dick Carne

Default Cabriolet 68C -- "Sources" and Wood-Related Questions

Hello Friends, and best wishes to all for a Merry and Meaningful Christmas.

I started pulling my 68C Cabriolet apart last week, and there are several items that I have model-specific questions and/or source questions about:

1. Is there a source for the replacement rubber that goes under/through the trim plate on the body at the back of the door, and serves as a weather seal between the body and matching plate on the rear door pillar/top?

2. Is there a source for imprinting the body number on a new Briggs body plate (on the firewall)?

3. Is there a source for rumble seat floor mats for the 68C? While I am not intending to restore this car to a high "points" standard, I would nonetheless like to rebuild it to somewhat reasonable original standards. With that said, if there is not a ready source available, would it be considered "reasonable" from say a Touring Class perspective to make a new floor covering to match the carpet used on the front floor mat (I suppose that the reality is that I would still probably choose to proceed that way if floor mats are not otherwise available regardless of any "standards", but I am curious as to how other folks might look at this)?

4. I purchased this old girl a few years back from the son of the second owner, who purchased the car in 1936 from the original owner. Over the years it appears to have been well maintained (with the exception of some 1960's "upgrades" - hydraulic brakes, oil filter on the firewall, etc.), and until I got to the rumble seat area, had planned to possibly still use the original floor sills - these are amazingly solid until you get to the rumble seat area where it has either some wood rot or is at least softer than I am comfortable going forward. I plan to media blast the body tomorrow, and then replace all of the floor sills once everything has been epoxy primed. My current thinking is to pull the entire floor system out as a unit and then reinstall a new assembled floor section once new wood has been cut and finished. Would this be a generally accepted preferred method or is there a better process to consider (I suspect that the cross sills are mortise and tenon joints similar to those on fordors, which would seem to suggest that it might be more challenging to get tight fits on all of the different cross sills)?

5. From those who may have worked on these cars before, are there any specific areas and/or items that I should be aware of in undertaking this project?

My thanks to any and all in advance for any thoughts, ideas, and/or recommendations that you might be able to offer.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote