Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Newbie Question

Hello all, let me say that there are some very knowledgeable people out here. There is so much great information! I am just getting started with my Model T. It is a 1923 Runabout that is currently in my Grandfather's barn in NC. I am bringing it down to GA after my wedding in July. The last time it was running was approximately 5 years ago, and ran fine. It's just been sitting since then. I don't want to just hop in and crank it up to risk breaking something. What would be a general checklist of things to do before cranking it up? Also, I think the paint on it is original with very little visible rust. Unfortunately, over time the paint has cracked, but still looks good. Would I be better off repainting it, or leaving it original. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm looking to join a club around here. Is there anybody out there in the Atlanta/Roswell area? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Newbie Question

The Towe Auto Museum in Sacramento CA has just the checklist you are looking for. It is authored by Milt Webb who has written Model T repair articles for years. It describes how to check a car that has been in long term storage so that it will run well and not be damaged when you start it up. See the link. See also the websites of the 2 national Model T clubs. They have forums where you may ask questions and lists of chapters. There are pictures of members cars and much documentation on Model T changes throughout the years of production. Good luck with your car. http://www.modelt.org/

http://www.mtfca.com/

<ul>[*]Out of Mothballs[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Crackers in Ga.with T ?

Get it running good and learn to drive it.Paint don't mean that much but a nice running T now you done something.Have fun with it for now. Enjoy that what your granp pa would want.