Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor interior door panel question

When I started working on my friends 29 Tudor I found that someone had purchased new door panels from LeBaron Bonney. By the time that I was ready to start working on the interior I purchased a complete set of interior cardboard panels from LB. My thought was that I would have an upholstery shop recover the front and rear seats and I would apply fabric to the new interior panels myself. Then I had to put the project on hold due to health issues. When I finally was able to get started again LB went belly up and the fabric that was one the door panels was no longer available. So I went to plan "B" and I purchased enough new fabric (not the same as LB but it worked okay).

My question is: the LB new cardboard door panels (and the new upholstered door panels) have a cut corner on the top front (A-pillar side). Is that cut corner necessary/authentic? Why is that corner cut?

Please see pixs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door panels labeled.jpg (39.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg left door panel labeled.jpg (41.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: 29 Tudor interior door panel question

I would keep the cut corners so that the door panel, when installed, will fit under the garnish molding. Do you have someone that has access to a long arm machine that can re-stitch your door pockets into place? Also, as long as you are going to this much work, you may consider using a thin 1'4" quilters cotton instead of the foam that LB used for your panel padding.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I would keep the cut corners so that the door panel, when installed, will fit under the garnish molding. Do you have someone that has access to a long arm machine that can re-stitch your door pockets into place? Also, as long as you are going to this much work, you may consider using a thin 1'4" quilters cotton instead of the foam that LB used for your panel padding.
I had some one make up new door panels but they don't have the cut corner. I can make that one cut corner without too much trouble if it is really needed.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Many times this stuff is done so that parts can be used right or left until the fabric work is done. With the cut mark a person can tell which is the front side so they don't get it backwards. I don't know if Ford did this or not but it's possible. As long as it's hidden, it won't show anyway.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
SSsssteamer

The cut corner is necessary for the front corner to fit under the garnish molding and also the doors are trimmed back there also to give the dash panel some room to clear the doors. Today I was putting safety glass in place of my 1929 Tudor's plate glass and I took notice of your request.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote