Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #21
Mad Mac

Default Re: Horn tube stuck in shaft

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I cannot afford a new shaft (with or without the worm attached) so I will just use the scored one. Would it be a good idea to fill the score marks with some material like "JB Weld" or something similar?
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #22
Kahuna

Pour some Evap o Rust down the tube and let it set awhile
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #23
Mel Gross

We have done well over 50 of these where the steering shaft that we take back in exchange have had a broken off horn rod. Whether they are steel or aluminum, I never checked the shavings for what type of material they were. All that I can tell you is that we have yet to have one that we could not drill out. Since the thickness of the rod wall is thin and our long drill bit is very sharp, we don't have any issues. We do use a cutting oil and pull out the drill bit many time to extract the shavings. We also blow out with compressed air. Once done and the drill bit will go all the way thru, we then clean the inside of the shaft with a long wire brush. Finally we put in a new horn rod to check for clearance and make sure that it doesn't drag or is hard to spin / turn.
Now if the shaft is bent in any way, then we scrap it. Don' be surprised as some shafts do come back bent slightly for whatever reason.
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote