Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
cas3

Default what about that small lip/shoulder on front of the flywheel for ring gear?

the reason i ask, is this one has about 3/4 of it broken off. see the yellow mark on the front side in the pics. anyone ever had a ring gear fall off? modern flywheels dont have it? i am cutting the blob off the back of a 9" flywheel, and i'd like to use this one as it seems grandma only slipped the clutch on sundays. note the thickness of the red mark on back side, and still a step up to the disc surface in yellow again. i have seen some that that second step is gone after too many grindings from grandma driving other than to church. so...i am tempted to cut the rest of the lip off before balancing. any thoughts from you guys ? thanks, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1294.jpg (80.2 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1296.jpg (81.0 KB, 111 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
JWL
Member Emeritus

Default Re: what about that small lip/shoulder on front of the flywheel for ring gear?

If I was motivated to use that flywheel I would shrink the ring gear on and install about 4 tiny Dutchman screws at the parting line. I would also remove a minimum amount from the disc wear face. I doubt a good surface finish can be achieved with the amount of chuck overhang pictured.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
cas3

Default Re: what about that small lip/shoulder on front of the flywheel for ring gear?

jwl, thanks for the responce. yes, its not a good set up, but its the only way i can reach it as its really too big for the lathe. i do get a nice cut at slow speeds though, and then have the finish done on a grinder, then balance. 8ba's have no lip do they?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Fred A

Is it really worth the work to use an early flywheel? The later flat flywheels were largely drilled for 10" clutches. Couldn't redrilling for another clutch be more accurate? 59 style flywheels are abundant in this area but perhaps not the case in Minn. Unless submerged in a lake, the clutch is in a protected place and should be among the last components to perish. I can only imagine how tough good bodies are to find up there. Probably love of the process. Have Fun: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote