Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Detonator

Default Steering Rebuild: Wheel clocking on the shaft

I'm progressing in the build of a 37-40 style box for my '35 coupe. I've pulled apart three old boxes and come up with enough good parts to build one good one. I have a good shaft -- a '38-39, and a good worm -- a '37. I'm going to combine the two.

I determined the year of these shafts (they're both the same length) by the location of the two holes that mount the Steering Shaft Lock Sleeve. These dimensions are in the Green Bible. The question is -- when the keyways for the steering wheel in these two shafts are aligned side-by-side, the Lock Sleeves are 90 degrees apart. ???? Did Ford put the keyway at different angles in the steering wheels for different years. I've got a '38 and '40 wheel hanging on the wall, and the keyways are both at the bottom. Are other years different?

Obviously I want the steering wheel centered when my coupe if heading straight down the highway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parts Array_web.jpg (293.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Three Worms_web.jpg (247.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
George/Maine

Default Re: Steering Rebuild: Wheel clocking on the shaft

If you look at worm and shaft there should be alignment mark on bottom and line up key way. If key is not the same not good for your steering wheel. I think 35 is not the same.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
john in illinois

Here is a linkm . go to post 16. Steering worm key way always points toward sector when centered.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123613

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
32phil

The locking sleeves do not determine where the wheel ends up. They only lock the shaft when the car is parked and the column drop is engaged. Basically it does not matter where the wheel is when you are parked. What matters is where the wheel is when you are driving on the road straight ahead. That is determined by the notch in the shaft where it meets the worm and the key way at the top where it meets the wheel. If they are the same as the old shaft (as you say they are) you should be OK. I think you can "flip" the locking collar up or down and change the position in relation to the keyway.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Zeke3

I swapped a '39 deluxe worm and shaft into a '37 steering box and remember that the lock sleeves were clocked differently between the two models. I relocated the lock sleeve on the '39 shaft to be in the correct position for the '37 by drilling new holes for the locating screws.
The lock pin for the '37 steering column comes in from the side at the 3 o'clock position when sitting in the driver's seat and the '39 lock pin comes down from the top.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Here is a link: go to post 16. Steering worm key way always points toward sector when centered.
John
Thanks -- this was a great thread, I wish I'd found it in my search. I realize the locking sleeve has to move, but now that I know the two shafts I'm combining clock the same, I can make some progress.