Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Rumble Lid Hinge Assembly

I have a '31 coupe with a rumble seat. When I bought it the right side bracket, that the hinge attaches too, was missing. So I bought a new kit and put two new brackets on but kept the original hinges on the trunk lid.

Is there more pieces/hardware that is needed to assemble this besides the hinges, brackets and mounting bolts/fastners? I have the brackets bolted in but when I go to put the lid on I'm not understanding how to get the bolt through the hinge and bracket. If I line up the holes, of the bracket and hinge, the lid is pretty much closed and there's no way I'm able to get the bolt in. Shouldn't I be able to install the bolt through the hinge and bracket while the lid is in the open position? Some thing doesn't seem right????
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: Rumble Lid Hinge Assembly

REpop hinge kit are notorious for poor fit. If you have the original hinges on you may have to massage the hinge mounts to fit the originals. You should be able to mount the bolt with the lid in the open position though. Compare the new braket to the original and see if the is a difference in the holes or orientation of the bracket.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Not sure where your fit problem is. You should be able to put the hinge pivot bolt in with the lid open.

If you have repro hinge parts on the lid then it is very possible that they are not set properly to the lid. This will cause the hinge pivot point on the lid to not be wide enough to bolt to the brackets on the side.

With a repro lid and repro hinges the first lid I got had about 2" from where the hinge point was and the bracket that fits on the body. You might have to reset the position of the hinges. This would not be limited to grinding the repro hinge casting. Do not try to pry repro castings as they break easy.

Keep in mind the repro hinges appear to be a poor direct copy of the originals. This means they have shrunk in every direction. They just are not right!!!

If you have an original lid and repro hinges, then throw away the repro hinges and get some originals. The originals will just fit an line up properly, a night and day difference.

Working these issues is not simple and there are too many variables to give a real good answer without seeing some diagrams or pictures to illustrate the problem. You also need to tell us if you are using original or repro parts and if the original lid has been worked a lot.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
TedG

This may sound dumb but, also be sure the hinges are on the correct sides.

If I remember correctly the longer arm on the hinge goes toward the top or front of the rumble lid.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote