Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

I'm trying to get ready for spring. I started the '26 today and later this evening I hope to back it out of the shed and get it ready to work on this Saturday.
The '21 as always is waiting to get the rear main thrust built up to get rid of the end play on my crank. Then Back to Andy's and all hell is going to break loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1277.jpg (56.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1278.jpg (63.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1280.jpg (49.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1279.jpg (52.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1283.jpg (72.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1286.jpg (65.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1287.jpg (85.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1276.jpg (49.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1289.jpg (54.5 KB, 110 views)
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

Thats a jim dandy garage youve got. Looks like I gotta get up there and help you hang some lights. Is that the heater in question up in the corner? Look identical to the one Ive got... Menards perhaps??? ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
[email protected]

Yep, retards. Your right, my lights suck. But now you've got a picture of everything at my place that's part of the Model T's. Took the '26 out of the shed today and went for a ride around the block. She's running a little rough. Seems she might have a sticky valve or two and if I don't get that emergency brake ratchet fixed some day I'm going to drive her right through the back wall of the garage. Last fall I could get the radiator to stop leaking. I thought it was coming out of the overflow but everyone insisted it was a hole. So I went ahead and put a can of stop leak in it and no matter what it was the radiator didn't soak my shed floor with antifreeze this winter and there's still antifreeze above the tubes in the radiator. Now it's time to go to Rollies Long Necks and Red Necks and have my Windsor.

Oh by the way will. That heater worked for about 2 months and the control board went out on it. I've got a meeting in my garage on Saturday and I'm without a heater. I hope it's as nice then and it was today.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

Yeah man... why spend 2K on a Modine when you can buy chinaman heater $200... wonder if they use those in those mud houses on the rice patties?
Getter done yet??? ws

Gotta baby sit that POS every morning for 2-3 start attempts. Turn the T stat up to 80 and go inside for an hour. Come back out and its off and 60F inside. I used to think its because the T stat is on a cold wall, but chinaman has no INSURATION either ???

Do you need a ratchet? I just replaced mine with a better one... the original was smooth so I filed new teefs in it. Theres a few that miss but its better than NONE! Lemme know...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
fordman67

Dang it Mike! U are making me depressed....them some good looking T's you have there! I wish my work space was as uncluttered...I have TOO many projects! Glad you have one at least that you can enjoy while servicing the other! Nice strategy.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
[email protected]

Aaron, that particular strategy came about last year when my touring went down with the scored piston. I about went crazy without being able to get into a model t and at least take it around the block. I would prefer having my touring car running but at least this way I've got a fix for my addiction.

Will, usually when my ratchets get warn to the point where there smooth I weld them solid, weld a 2 ft chunk of pipe on the end and just like magic, I've got a breaker bar.

Oh, you meant the ratchet on my emergency brake. Yeah that ones smooth too, but I've got a brand new one I bought from Mr Loso last fall. I'm thinking that if the weather can be decent this coming Saturday it'll be my project while everyone is standing around the garage wishing they had something to work on.

By the way, do you need my address to put into your GPS so you can find my house Saturday morning. We usually kick these things off sometime around 9:00 AM. Make sure Pat brings that tater salad with her. Then all we need is about 4 dozen brats and buns and some chips and cold drinks and we'll be ready to go. Some banana cream pie and we could all beat on our chests and announce our positions within the ranks of the male of the species. Argh!! It is I, It is me, Pampero Ferpo, Oh yeah. I am the bull of the Pampas. It's surprising what good food will do to even the meekest mouse of a man. Just think what it'll do for men like us. Argh!!

Ok now it's time for me to get my jammies on and have some milk and cookies.

Hey, I think I've got a sticky valve. In the past I use to pull the valve cover off and spray them with a little liquid wrench. Then work them back and forth against the spring until they loosen up. Of course it may be playing games with me because of a burned valve too and, well I guess, rather than worrying about a sticking valve maybe I ought to just go ahead and pull the head, clean the carbon off everything and figure on grinding the valves and lapping everything in. It's a job I haven't done on a flathead since I helped the old man do it on the old ford logging truck when I was a kid but maybe I can remember how to do it. and besides it's an excuse to buy some more tools.
Let's go.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
[email protected]

Up at 4:00 AM this morning with a cold wet nose pushing on my forehead and a wet sloppy tongue in my ear. So I gave her fifty bucks and told her I'd call her. Then the dog came in looking for her breakfast. So after I slipped my jammies back on I went out and put some food down. Then I got some puppy chow and put that in a bowl for the dog. I made a pot of coffee and by then my wheaties had cooled down. So after fixing myself a couple pieces of toast with butter and honey on them I sat down in my chair and started to eat my cream of wheat. I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 AM so I thought to heck with it I'm going to have another bowl of oatmeal. So I ate the toast and jelly and washed it down with a cup of tea. At 5:00 AM I went back to bed.
At approximately 11:30 AM I woke up with a sloppy wet tongue in my ear and a cold wet nose in my face. The dog was ready for her dinner. So I fed her and ate a bowl of chilli noodle soup. And as long as it wasn't quite noon yet I sat down in my chair and took a nap. Then at 2:00 PM I woke up with drool dripping off my chin and a wet sloppy tongue licking my face. So I pulled my tongue back in. Wiped the drool off with my shirt sleeve and went out to work on cleaning up the garage for Saturday's model t meeting. But when I got out there I realize it was getting close to the end of the day and I wanted to watch a little TV before I went to bed. I went in sat down in my recliner, started watching TV and I fell asleep and took a nap. Sometime around 10:00 PM I woke up, took my medicine, made some popcorn, went in the bedroom and laid down to watch TV. Before I could finish the popcorn I fell asleep. And that pretty much ended my day. I think tomorrow I'm going to clean the garage and get it ready for the model t ford club meeting on Saturday. But for now I need a nap.
Let's go.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
fordman67

all that tounge lashing and nose touching.Im tuckerd out just thinking about it myself. Sure wish I could come all that way sat to hang with some t fellas.Maybe someday I might make it up that way.Sounds like alot of fun.You and Bill will have to fill me in after all the brats have fallen and the potato ssalad has settled. But leave me out of the chest beating, food makes me sleeeeepy!
haha,have fun!
Aaron
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
[email protected]

Bill still hasn't sent his RSVP back yet. Although I guess it won't be any big deal if he just shows up. There should be enough food there for even a big guy like him.

Went out tonight and purchased a big ole coffee urn. I still have to go out and buy some cases of soda pop and ice and throw it in a cooler. I also bought all the mixings for a huge pot of chilli soup with lots of kidney and chilli beans and enough hamburger to choke a horse, also some soda crackers, raw onions, cheddar cheese and sour cream. Now if I make some "Johnny Cake" (sweet corn bread), with butter and honey, I figure no-one should have to go home hungry. As long as nobody gets into my Windsor, it should be ok. It's also fun to add some "scoops" corn chips in there to use in place of spoons. Beyond that it's going to be pot luck with lots of hotdishes and deserts. So tomorrow I've got to set-up the chairs in the shop and put the cushions out on the deck chairs, sweep out the garage, cook the chilli and fix the broken toilet seat. I just hope a lot of the club people come. I don't expect the guys who went to Chickasha to be there but I hope some of the rest of the guys and their wives from the club show up. It would really be great if the weather would hold up and some of them would drive their Model T's. I know mine will be here. I can't believe the jitters I've got. I promise I'll take my camera and post a bunch of pictures. I'm also hoping to get some of the people in the park to stop by and see the Model T's if they're here. Now tonight, though knowing I may end up with a headache, I came up with an idea for a cruise this summer. So if my new friend from Two Rivers Wisconsin and the other guy from Indiana want to come over and drive along, I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

There's something else I'd like to make sure most of my Ford Barn friends keep in mind. On December 21'st 2012 huge solar flares are going to cause the liquor stores to run out of Windsor. So you'll please forgive me if I'm not in a good mood and when I post cause a lot of anger here on the Forum. But, the emergency should be short lived and if necessary I might be able to be coerced into drinking MacMasters. So it'll not be necessary to hoard your whiskey or make a run on the liquor or grocery stores or start learning how to fire handguns and assault rifles. Consider this a warning and keep in mind a drinking Mike is a happy Mike. And after all I only drink one and one half shots of Windsor 2 to 3 times per week.
Thank you,
-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1198.jpg (64.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1206.jpg (55.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1202.jpg (78.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1163.jpg (65.9 KB, 44 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
fordman67

Oh my...this summer...i will have to get moving on mine then...i would come up that way.i will just have to figure a tow vehicle to come in.my ol 89 dodge is probably not up to that.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
[email protected]

My cars, my shop and tomorrows chilli. It's resting for now. In the morning it'll simmer for a couple of hours. It'll have cooked 4 hours all together. After this group gets done eating this chilli tomorrow I might have to pass out a lot of Beano. My God it's gonna be good. Yee Haw!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1300.jpg (54.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1301.jpg (58.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1302.jpg (52.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1303.jpg (58.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1304.jpg (60.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1310.jpg (61.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1313.jpg (78.5 KB, 46 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
yachtsmanbill

Hows the party goin'? Looks like the weather was ideal! 80F with a south wind. Didnt need that heater after all didja??? ws

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-93.2668&e=0
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Hows the party goin'? Looks like the weather was ideal! 80F with a south wind. Didnt need that heater after all didja??? ws

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-93.2668&e=0
For the first hour it was a little chilli. Then the sky became overcast and the wind kicked up. Then the humidity went up and the temp dropped. So though by noon the heater would have been nice it really wasn't that bad. We sat in the garage and told some good stories and had some good laughs. Everyone came looking for the motor they were going to put into a car. Somebody put it in our club newspaper that was going to be the project for today. It would have been nice if they would have consulted with me first! At any rate about 14 people showed up and they brought some really good tuna pasta salad, some cold slaw, doughnuts and cupcakes with green frosting. I think the chilli went pretty good and with all the fixin's nobody went home hungry. Now I've got a whole bunch of groceries left over because I expected a lot bigger crowd than I got. In past meetings I've been to there's never been less than 40 people. Maybe next time. I know Chickasha really put a damper on some of the proceedings. Maybe next time. We didn't have any of the club officers show up but we did end up having 2 of the board members. Of course with so few people and no officers we didn't have the monthly meeting. Maybe next time. So all in all it was a very manageable small group of people that ate some really good food. Hopefully next years won't fall so close to so many other things. We had one couple show up at around 1:30 after everyone had gone home. We sat and talked for a couple minutes. They're one of my favorite couples in the group and I was really glad they came over. All in all it was a wonderful time with some wonderful people and I won't hesitate to do it again. Next time though I'm going to somehow enlist some help getting things done. And I won't spend every last cent on groceries and supplies. I really don't need all of these leftovers. Haha. Now hopefully this next month can be spent saving up some money and finding time to get my touring put back together.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
fordman67

Mike,sounds like you had a good turnout. I never figure on any more than 1/3 of the invited to show on a good day. I sure could eat some chili.That is one of my favorites!

I did not get anything done on my car today. I did get 3 other peoples projects further along....I have yet to finish one and begin on another.then it is on like donkey kong for the T....

I love the lettering on the tudor.Is that old from a previous life ?old patina like that is awesome.my 41car is going to keep all its patina.it got it honest so it will stay!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
yachtsmanbill

C'mon man... Poncho probably LUVS chili ! You really have 40 people in the club? My big turn out is when Walt comes over for a smoke, or Pat calls me on the crack phone to let me know coffee is ready... Its lonely at the top aint it??? ws
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
[email protected]

The Arkansaw Rec Hall was an actual place that existed in Arkansaw Wisconsin. And yes the name of the town was spelled with a w instead of an s. It's really close to or even a part of Durand Wisconsin. Though the Rec Hall is gone and the original people that owned it have passed I was able to contact their daughter. She's living where I grew up in Grand Rapids MN. For the last several years that her Dad was alive he dealt with dementia so her husband drove the car around in parades until the mother died and the T was sold to a Bob Peterson in Southern Minnesota. Every year they have a car show in Grand Rapids and I'm hoping to get it up there in the future so they can see it again and maybe he'll get to drive it. Then at some point I'd like to take it to Arkansaw and enter it in their parade again. But all that is going to have to happen after I get into a little better shape. I guess the name was put on in the '50s or '60s. There's no way I'll ever take it off. As a matter of fact I plan on only working on the running gear and putting some better seats in it. And that's it. From that point on it's all about maintenance. I really like my touring and it has a wonderful history but the sedan, for some reason, feels closer to my heart and I think it's because of the lettering on the door and the story that goes with it. I like to tell people that the rec hall is one of those places that Dillinger, Baby Face and Capone frequented. That's why I want to get a replica of a Tommy Gun or a BAR or something to put in the back seat.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
[email protected]

With a name like Poncho you better believe he likes chilli. Problem is, chilli doesn't always like him. I always like to put a lot of beans in it and they pretty much tear him up. And with his propensity to drink a lot of bad, skunky, Schlitz beer it's chaos around here after a good chilli feed. And his Girlfriend Lacey likes it too and her, being the lady she is, keeps everything silent and sneaky but deadly. As a matter of fact she reminds me of grandpa when he'd get done with a shift in the mines and go up to The Wrecking Bar and eat all those pickled eggs and wash them down with 3.2 beer. He chewed Copenhagen and claimed it kept the worms down. I think it was those damned eggs that kept him free of parasites. He's the one that taught me to turn my long johns inside out the end of January and it would take until the end of April for the lice and fleas to crawl through the wool to the inside. Most winters I barely got bit at all. Then he'd always take me down to the creek and we'd do laundry and he'd sit in the truck while I'd take a bath. Then we were good until the next Fall.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
ppat324

Well, Mike, I won't comment on the long johns or the effects of chili but I will let you know that I have a solution to all that food.

Get some zip lock freezer bags and seperate the chili into 2-3 days servings. Be sure all the air is out of the bag but leave a space at top for expansion. Close it up and freeze. Be sure to label it with a black marker so you know what it is. Date it too, should be good for 6 months. Tuna salad, that depends on what is in it. Mayo doesn't do well in the freezer but you can try freezing it.

Wish we could of made it, I would of loved to see your T's and still plan on getting together this summer. ppat

ps.....be sure to put windsor down before reading Bill's posts from now on....LOL
ppat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Arkansaw Rec Hall was an actual place that existed in Arkansaw Wisconsin. And yes the name of the town was spelled with a w instead of an s. It's really close to or even a part of Durand Wisconsin. Though the Rec Hall is gone and the original people that owned it have passed I was able to contact their daughter. She's living where I grew up in Grand Rapids MN. For the last several years that her Dad was alive he dealt with dementia so her husband drove the car around in parades until the mother died and the T was sold to a Bob Peterson in Southern Minnesota. Every year they have a car show in Grand Rapids and I'm hoping to get it up there in the future so they can see it again and maybe he'll get to drive it. Then at some point I'd like to take it to Arkansaw and enter it in their parade again. But all that is going to have to happen after I get into a little better shape. I guess the name was put on in the '50s or '60s. There's no way I'll ever take it off. As a matter of fact I plan on only working on the running gear and putting some better seats in it. And that's it. From that point on it's all about maintenance. I really like my touring and it has a wonderful history but the sedan, for some reason, feels closer to my heart and I think it's because of the lettering on the door and the story that goes with it. I like to tell people that the rec hall is one of those places that Dillinger, Baby Face and Capone frequented. That's why I want to get a replica of a Tommy Gun or a BAR or something to put in the back seat.
Mike,That is awesome! you just cant beat that.I wish I knew the history of mine.When i removed the interior of mine i found an old for sale sign.i have tried calling the number but always get a machine.I would ask about the history if someone would answer the phone.
I wonder if there is any way to search on other than dmv to see where the ol gal has been registered?
Aaron
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
[email protected]

ppat, the freezer bags are the only way to freeze stuff. I've got homemade applesauce, sour kraut, older yet chilli, stew and some things that look like a science experiment gone bad in freezer bags. We've always canned homemade tomato soup, sauce and whole tomatoes that way for many years. We've done jams too. But with jams you have to be careful because they don't always freeze solid. Sometimes they become really thick but it's almost like the stuff they use to put in the Stretch Armstrong dolls. When you put a half of beef on top of it has a tendency to loosen the seal and the bottom of the freezer get a half in layer of some kind of sticky crap the won't wash off your hands easily. God I can't ever start to remember some of the stuff we've frozen in ziploc bags. We did learn however to not use the ziploc plastic containers with the blue tops. One 1lb package of meat down on one of those and you have some really strange popsickles.
Let's go.