Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: My new T

OK... so thats a Holley "Hot Plate" Vaporizer carb. Theres a tin plate under the part with 4 bolts. That has hot exhaust on one side and gasoline being heated on the other. That tube with solder is under vacuum and mustve leaked. I believe there used to be some type of packing nut to seal it, but ol' Bubba mustve fixed it with some solder (or lead). That needs to come apart to replace the probably rusted away tin plate.
The throttle arm is on the left of the pic and the choke arm is just below the bulbous air horn towards the bottom. Typically, those carbs would start on a small gas supply, and after good and hot switch over to kerosene... so the story goes. If the exhaust threads are shot, put it on ebay IMHO...
The block and hogs head are definitely an "improved" model engine. Open the cover and verify that the brake band is wider than the low and reverse bands. Again, at this point, it is what it is...
Get yourself a $100 digital camera with a 8meg memory card and take lots of pics... way better than a cheat sheet with notes LOL... ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
[email protected]

Where's is Mena in relationship to Searcy? I flew in and out of that little burg back in the late '80s and early '90s about 3 to 4 times each month. Once in a while it would be twice a week sometimes I'd stay from Monday thru Friday. I got pretty well aquainted with a bunch of really good people. I went deer hunting in Sunnydale or some place like that for a week. It's the only time I ever deer hunted with beagle dogs and rifles and Buckshot all the same time. And then when I shot my buck I was sitting in the back of a pickup and we were driving across a field with 4 wheelers and trucks. I was sitting on the tool box with the 30-06 when a 6 point jumped and I shot him. He ran into the weeds and they turned the dogs loose to chase him down. Once they had him cornered I killed him. Damn near shot the dog to. In Minnesota if I'd have done any of those things I'd still be in jail. The dogs, the buckshot, the uncased guns on a vehicle and shooting from the vehicle would be enough to cause them to take my hunting right's for many years. God it was fun.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
yachtsmanbill

Hmmm... ws

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CEYQ8gEwAQ
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Hmmm... my butt. So I didn't think of going with it. So what? Sometimes Bill your worse than having a big brother. Just wait, the next time you leave I'm going to call Pat again.
Let's go.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
yachtsmanbill

Hey Mike, it's Pat. You can call me anytime, anything BUT do not EVER call me late for dinner (Mike Garrison 2012)....

I will send some potato salad along with bacon cheeseburger to Washington Island with you....ppat
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
shaun

Quote:
OK... so thats a Holley "Hot Plate" Vaporizer carb. Theres a tin plate under the part with 4 bolts. That has hot exhaust on one side and gasoline being heated on the other. That tube with solder is under vacuum and mustve leaked. I believe there used to be some type of packing nut to seal it, but ol' Bubba mustve fixed it with some solder (or lead). That needs to come apart to replace the probably rusted away tin plate.
The throttle arm is on the left of the pic and the choke arm is just below the bulbous air horn towards the bottom. Typically, those carbs would start on a small gas supply, and after good and hot switch over to kerosene... so the story goes. If the exhaust threads are shot, put it on ebay IMHO...
The block and hogs head are definitely an "improved" model engine. Open the cover and verify that the brake band is wider than the low and reverse bands. Again, at this point, it is what it is...
Get yourself a $100 digital camera with a 8meg memory card and take lots of pics... way better than a cheat sheet with notes LOL... ws
Thank you for all the info it will be a great help.
shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Where's is Mena in relationship to Searcy? I flew in and out of that little burg back in the late '80s and early '90s about 3 to 4 times each month. Once in a while it would be twice a week sometimes I'd stay from Monday thru Friday. I got pretty well aquainted with a bunch of really good people. I went deer hunting in Sunnydale or some place like that for a week. It's the only time I ever deer hunted with beagle dogs and rifles and Buckshot all the same time. And then when I shot my buck I was sitting in the back of a pickup and we were driving across a field with 4 wheelers and trucks. I was sitting on the tool box with the 30-06 when a 6 point jumped and I shot him. He ran into the weeds and they turned the dogs loose to chase him down. Once they had him cornered I killed him. Damn near shot the dog to. In Minnesota if I'd have done any of those things I'd still be in jail. The dogs, the buckshot, the uncased guns on a vehicle and shooting from the vehicle would be enough to cause them to take my hunting right's for many years. God it was fun.
Yes in Arkansas we have all the rules they have adopted in the rest of the country, the difference is unless you are stupid, no one will bother to enforce them, it truly is the USA here, few rules, lows lows taxes, nice people, and half decent weather. what more can you say.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
whats up mena im here in little rock.
Hi I am enjoying the weather, normally stuck in NY so this is great, been building a shed for the T, I had heard people speak of a great city to the NE of Mena, hows things there
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
BUBBAS IGNITION

Ok, three days of discussion . Lets get this thing running. Pull the plugs ( might soak in knocker loose for a day or so) poor some oil in the cylinders and hand crank er over a few times.

Looks to me like a 26-27 engine with the coils, carb and hogs head. I would check the oil , hook up a battery as good as i could and trash the carb intake ( ebay etc) put a earlier intake and holley NH on it ( do whats needed to work that out )
Get it sparking and then maybe running enough to warm up ,change the oil and set back and looker over ....
Never know about these cars they will fool ya on how well they will go .....I think we did 4 of these barn cars last year and actually drove each one around the block with very little work.....
One 27 touring is still hauling my friend around , kids and all............
Be glad to help might even have a part or two ( on the cheap)........pm for help.,
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Ok, three days of discussion . Lets get this thing running. Pull the plugs ( might soak in knocker loose for a day or so) poor some oil in the cylinders and hand crank er over a few times.

Looks to me like a 26-27 engine with the coils, carb and hogs head. I would check the oil , hook up a battery as good as i could and trash the carb intake ( ebay etc) put a earlier intake and holley NH on it ( do whats needed to work that out )
Get it sparking and then maybe running enough to warm up ,change the oil and set back and looker over ....
Never know about these cars they will fool ya on how well they will go .....I think we did 4 of these barn cars last year and actually drove each one around the block with very little work.....
One 27 touring is still hauling my friend around , kids and all............
Be glad to help might even have a part or two ( on the cheap)........pm for help.,
Done the plugs Oil hang Crank ect, But no sparks the coils only 1 out of 4 work, I am going to order the resistors to try that first in the next day or so. Strange thing when I unscrewed the main jet (I think its the main jet) it came out real clean and with a light coat of some oil, but smells of winter green mint??? I know nobody has laid a finger on this for years any thoughts?? Thanks for the offer of help, whats a "hogs head" sorry I am from the Uk

Last edited by shaun; 03-05-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #31
Jack Innes

Oil of Wintergreen is an amazing penetrant & can be used to free a stuck engine. You may be in a position to thank some unknown person for putting it in that engine years ago. It now turns over maybe due to the wintergreen.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #32
yachtsmanbill

The hogs head is the trans cover with the two bolts in the top... looks like a hogs head... kinda! A few weeks ago I played with my coils and had 7 duds out of seven. Within an hour I had all seven knock me on my keister! Take the points off, and clean everything with a wire tooth brush. File the points FLAT with some 800 sandpaper (wet or dry body work paper) and re-assemble. Theres nothing to lose. Dont tear into capacitor work just yet... you may regret that move! ws
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
Yes in Arkansas we have all the rules they have adopted in the rest of the country, the difference is unless you are stupid, no one will bother to enforce them, it truly is the USA here, few rules, lows lows taxes, nice people, and half decent weather. what more can you say.
I didn't try to imply that anyone in Arkansas was stupid. I had several very close friends in Searcy and they were far from anything a person should think as ignorant country folk. They were machinists, engineers, marketing and Sales people. Notice I didn't mention any managers because that's the level where ignorance starts to spread no matter where your at. And worse than that is CEOs, CFO's and there ilk. But I digress, and understand the people always made me feel I was welcome and I loved going there because their food was better then any I've had anywhere else. The hunting and fishing were phenomenal and the country was beautiful. If I could have talked my wife and kids into moving to Searcy I'd probably still be there. But they like it up here on the tundra trying to get tomatoes to grow in the permafrost. Now that I'm single again I would love to move to Arkansas. But I'm getting old and not willing to try to start a life over again. And the only place the citizens would possible let me in is Toad Suck or Bald Knob.

One of the things I did forget to pass along regarding the previously described hunting trip was that all the things I said about the buckshot, uncased guns and shooting off the back of the truck and chasing the deer down with dogs was completely legal and that's really what surprised me. Because all of these things are illegal in Minnesota.
Let's go.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
yachtsmanbill

Dang... took me 10 minutes to find this... itll walk you through a little bit about whats what.... ws

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...3kWIh4l5k2TGxc
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Nice find Shaun

Nice T Shaun ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #36
shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I didn't try to imply that anyone in Arkansas was stupid. I had several very close friends in Searcy and they were far from anything a person should think as ignorant country folk. They were machinists, engineers, marketing and Sales people. Notice I didn't mention any managers because that's the level where ignorance starts to spread no matter where your at. And worse than that is CEOs, CFO's and there ilk. But I digress, and understand the people always made me feel I was welcome and I loved going there because their food was better then any I've had anywhere else. The hunting and fishing were phenomenal and the country was beautiful. If I could have talked my wife and kids into moving to Searcy I'd probably still be there. But they like it up here on the tundra trying to get tomatoes to grow in the permafrost. Now that I'm single again I would love to move to Arkansas. But I'm getting old and not willing to try to start a life over again. And the only place the citizens would possible let me in is Toad Suck or Bald Knob.

One of the things I did forget to pass along regarding the previously described hunting trip was that all the things I said about the buckshot, uncased guns and shooting off the back of the truck and chasing the deer down with dogs was completely legal and that's really what surprised me. Because all of these things are illegal in Minnesota.
No sorry you misunderstood me, I know you did not imply that country folk were stupid, and I am glad you have a good time here, I meant that we don't have to much regulation here.
I always like the thought of Minnesota, but I hate the cold, I don't know how you guys up there do it. How did the model T fair in Minnesota did many survive, I am told that steel does not rust as fast in a cold climate?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
No sorry you misunderstood me, I know you did not imply that country folk were stupid, and I am glad you have a good time here, I meant that we don't have to much regulation here.
I always like the thought of Minnesota, but I hate the cold, I don't know how you guys up there do it. How did the model T fair in Minnesota did many survive, I am told that steel does not rust as fast in a cold climate?
We have quite a few Model T's up here in the great white North. They seem to have survived quite well. For the most part they were built and driven before Minnesota dumped salt on the roads to melt the ice. At some point in your life you should take time to travel to our area. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are beautiful between the months of June and the middle of October. The rest of the year we have temps that range anywhere from +32 degrees Fahrenheit to -32 degrees Fahrenheit. As a result we normally drive our T's in the fair weather. Although I've heard of one family jumping in their '22 T and going for a drive during the holidays. I'll bet it was a memorable experience.
Let's go.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
shaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Oil of Wintergreen is an amazing penetrant & can be used to free a stuck engine. You may be in a position to thank some unknown person for putting it in that engine years ago. It now turns over maybe due to the wintergreen.
That's very interesting I had never heard about it but it seems to work well.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #39
shaun

Quote:
Dang... took me 10 minutes to find this... itll walk you through a little bit about whats what.... ws

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...3kWIh4l5k2TGxc
If you don't me asking why yachtsmanbill I only ask because I am into boats.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #40
yachtsmanbill

No problem... I have 2 boats; it runs in the family! Ones a 1963 aluminum Cris Craft Roamer 36 foot hull #6 and the other guy is a 1974 Hatteras 58 foot triple cabin (for sale cheap!). Ive had the Roamer since 1973... ws