Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default A/c

So here's where it starts. Start down the road, turn on the A/C and get cold air blowing at me for about 10 miles, eventually becoming just the cab air circulating nicely with no "cold" added to it. Checked the fan for the condenser and find it is not turning. Disconnect it and use a light to determine the wire supplying power is doing its job, start to plug it back together and the fan makes an effort to spin a few revolutions while the connection is being made amongst arcing and sparking. Take it apart and repeat a few tims to ascertain that the above is all that is occuring and sure enough, that appears to be it. Is it the fan motor, and if so where do I get a replacement? The vendor was a "Davis" out of Texas, long since lost the full name and contact infor. Tried and failed to find it on this site, so any advice is welcome.

The "Ace Mechanic" (no electrician)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #2
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: A/c

kendavismodela.com

David Srrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:08 PM   #3
stickshift

Sometimes with DC motors, the commutator where the brushes ride gets gunked up with carbon debris and can get a minor short circuit. If you have taken the motor apart, look at this and shine up the commutator and with a plastic or wood pick clean the grooves between the sections. Look closely at the windings for signs of overheating. If they are shot, rewinding isn't really that hard...there are some good videos on You Tube for rewinding a DC motor. Brushes could be worn and not making good contact with the commutator, or end bushings loose, causing shaft wobble. There could be some numbering on the motor that gets some hits on eBay. Good Luck.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
ModelA29

http://www.kendavismodela.com/AirConditioners.html
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:58 PM   #5
nkaminar

Sometimes the motor just needs a little oil.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:20 PM   #6
daveymc29

Thanks for the help everyone. This time I'm taking all the blame, the wire to the condenser connect with one clip standing horizontal and the other being vertical, if you will. I got up close with a light and a pair of glasses and found that when I put the leads together correctly that little fan almost sucked the last few strands of hair off my head. I ran a quick test in my garaged and the A/C will have to be controlled or it will drive my poor wife out of the car. I have no idea how it was working before, but now the connections are as Ken intended, the cool air is flowing strong. Bless you all.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:24 AM   #7
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Very reasonable price for what's included. Vent unit looks period authentic. Beats the heat.
I'm glad you got it all figured out daveymc, you did it on your own.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. This time I'm taking all the blame, the wire to the condenser connect with one clip standing horizontal and the other being vertical, if you will. I got up close with a light and a pair of glasses and found that when I put the leads together correctly that little fan almost sucked the last few strands of hair off my head. I ran a quick test in my garaged and the A/C will have to be controlled or it will drive my poor wife out of the car. I have no idea how it was working before, but now the connections are as Ken intended, the cool air is flowing strong. Bless you all.
Now get it out and drive! Report back on gas mileage loss, loss of engine power, and how nice it is to drive in the hot weather! Glad you figured it out!
Old 07-18-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
nkaminar

The AC evaporator takes up a lot of room under the gas tank and won't fit in with my coolant powered heater. I asked about putting it under the car and routing the cold air into the bottom of the car but was told it has to blow directly on my face to do any good. I thought about putting saddle tanks on the car and gutting the tank to put the AC evaporator there, but the saddle tanks won't fit with my mechanical brake rods. So I am going to continue to open the windshield wide on hot days. And drink lots of water.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #10
w.michael

Neil, You can fit a hot water heater and blower under the front seat. Then the AC will fit under the gas tank. Brent Terry has posted about reducing the size of the speedometer cable/wiring harness tunnel under the gas tank to gain a bit more space for the AC.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
CarlG

Neil, The unit I bought from Ken Davis is both cool & heat. Best of both worlds.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:54 PM   #12
daveymc29

I may have spoken too soon. This after noon as I put the "A" away for the evening I found the conderser motor was once again resting even though the unit was again just a fan, I took the red wire off and it was not hot, hooked it back up and no rpm out of the little motor. Messed with the connection and the cab controls to no avail then while cleaning up around the shop I gave it another go. Shoved my test light into the connection and it read hot and the fan took off spinning. It reacted like there was a circuit breaker in the line and it had restet its self. My wiring diagram shows no such thing and I'm a bit stumped at the moment. Put it to bed for the night and will try a 10 miles out test drive when it is warm tomorrow. That's about the point it has been shutting down on me. If it still does it I will pull the motor, if the motor is not turning but the supply wire is live. What do I look into if the supply wire is dead even after the fan in the cab unit had been running until it pumps hot air? I do hear the compressor doing its job with a solid click as it comes on and off. Would it posssibly be low fluid level in the system? I will have to go to a shop to chec that or buy gauges as all I have is the old type and they won't fit the new coolant systems. Don't want me to try mixing coolants I guess.

Last edited by daveymc29; 07-19-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:43 PM   #13
Jordan

Could it be a faulty relay switch?
Old 07-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #14
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I may have spoken too soon. This after noon as I put the "A" away for the evening I found the conderser motor was once again resting even though the unit was again just a fan, I took the red wire off and it was not hot, hooked it back up and no rpm out of the little motor. Messed with the connection and the cab controls to no avail then while cleaning up around the shop I gave it another go. Shoved my test light into the connection and it read hot and the fan took off spinning. It reacted like there was a circuit breaker in the line and it had restet its self. My wiring diagram shows no such thing and I'm a bit stumped at the moment. Put it to bed for the night and will try a 10 miles out test drive when it is warm tomorrow. That's about the point it has been shutting down on me. If it still does it I will pull the motor, if the motor is not turning but the supply wire is live. What do I look into if the supply wire is dead even after the fan in the cab unit had been running until it pumps hot air? I do hear the compressor doing its job with a solid click as it comes on and off. Would it posssibly be low fluid level in the system? I will have to go to a shop to chec that or buy gauges as all I have is the old type and they won't fit the new coolant systems. Don't want me to try mixing coolants I guess.

Davey,

Since it started to work AFTER you probed the connecttor I would look closely at the individual pins in the connector one at a time ... Pulling gently on the wire.

What you are looking for is a pin where the pin is not held tightly in the plastic connector.

1. Maybe one of the "clips" on a pin is loose in its hole and is being disconnected by vibrations.

2. Also sometimes the round Female part of the connector is too large and not making good connection to the male part of the connector.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote