Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
whb52ford

Default Overdrive Not working

This OD is in a 52 Ford car. It was working fine but leaking oil everywhere. I took it to a transmission shop that had been around 20 years. The owner said he had worked on many of these. After replacing the seals, the car was free wheeling with the OD lever in or out. Took it back, and only free wheeling when lever in, but would not shift into OD. Took it back and same as first. This kept going on for 3 months. Finally when I drove it out, it worked as it should. In the morning I drove it and it would not shift 3 or 4 times, but then started working. Every morning it would be the same thing. Now today it quit working. I pulled the solenoid and it is working, but something is stuck in the transmission that won't let the solenoid engage. I've got to find another place to look at this, but would like to have an idea what is wrong before I take it in. Any idea what is not right? Do I need to get a part before I take it in?
thanks
... Bill
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Overdrive Not working

There are some on line manuals that cover the Borg Warner electric overdrive. There may be a problem with the shift rail not moving as it should or sticking in a bad possition. The operating pawl that the solenoid moves in and out may have problems. The ring & plate that the pawl engages in has to have the proper amount of drag on it for the balk ring to work correctly. If it has no drag between the ring and the plate then it won't shift well.

These transmissions have a lot less engine braking action when locked in but the free wheeling clutch is a necessary part to make it all work. When locked out with the pull cable, there is a lot more engine braking action. It's more like a regular transmission but not completely the same.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
40cpe

What does your amp gauge do when the relay tries to kick the solenoid in? 6 volt soleniods need good voltage to work under load. Weak generators or batteries and corroded connections can make them act as yours did/does.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
whb52ford

I have good wires going to the solenoid. I just noticed tonight that I had the od lever out (not engaged) and when I got above 27mph the voltage gauge jumped to full charge. When I got home I touched the solenoid and it was hot. My theory is that once I got above 27mph the solenoid tried to push the paul and since I had the od lever out it could not. Does this sound right that the solenoid is trying to push the paul out even if the cable is out? I read somewhere that the lockout switches are not needed and I don't have one.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
40cpe

Check the gauge again when the relay kicks in, is it going to full charge or deep discharge? Try with the OD handle in to see if it makes a difference.

They were made to run with the OD handle in either position and shouldn't make a difference.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
whb52ford

Normally when working at 27mph the battery would charge for a brief second and go to normal. Once the paul is extended its in the maintain mode. With the overdrive locked out, it can't get to the maintain mode.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The earlier cars had a rail switch that cut the power when locked out. Ford felt it redundant so they deleted it from later models after 1951. I always felt that was a mistake due to this very reason.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
whb52ford

Where the rail switch should go is a plug, looks like its a cast plug.
So back in the day, if you were riding around town and had the OD off, it would be normal for the solenoid to be in the full push mode above 27mph. Just does not seem right to me.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I think the manufacturers (not just Ford) felt that most owners would actually leave the car in OD most of the time unless they were toting a trailer or driving in the steeper hill country setting.