Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2024, 06:39 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Cleaning the radiator

Filled it with three gallons of distilled white vinegar. Plan to drive it for about three weeks, drain, rinse with tap water then refill with distilled water and a cup of baking soda for week or so, then drain, rinse and refill with 550-50 mix of Anti Freese and distilled water. Any comment, best wishes or condemnations?
Then drive it to the Spring Opener at Clearlake, CA.
Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:42 PM   #2
JKY

Default Re: Cleaning the radiator

Three weeks for a mild acid attacking the radiator lead soldered seams seem like a lot of time to me. I'd hate to weaken the solder.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:40 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

Dave we'll be going to the Spring Opener as well.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 07:58 AM   #4
oldspert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKY View Post
Three weeks for a mild acid attacking the radiator lead soldered seams seem like a lot of time to me. I'd hate to weaken the solder.
I do not recall from college chemistry class where light acidic solution would attack lead. It might clean the surface of the lead, but not penetrate the subsurface.
oldspert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:38 AM   #5
Tom Grz

I'm rebuilding a '30 pickup that hasn't run in many years. I had to remove the top tank to make some repairs and I'm glad I did because I found 3 or 4 tubes completely blocked with a greasy sludge (I assume from years of over-greasing the water pump). I started with brake cleaner and an electricians fish tape to break thru the clogs, followed by one of those metal hanging file folder things and more cleaner to open it up more. Soaked it over night in simple green and finished off with a 1/8" straw cleaning brush. Point is...I don't know how effective vinegar is on those greasy clogs, if you happen to have any.
Tom Grz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Using distilled water is a waste of money in my opinion. Tap water is good. Better yet is a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and tap water.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:08 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Tap water is good.
Methinks it depends on the quality of one's local tap water. Soft, hard or very hard.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:05 AM   #8
noboD

I think your process will work. I did a similar cleaning on a tractor several years ago. Left the vinegar in for about 3 weeks, cut grass, worked it as usual. Flushed the crap out and bingo, worked like a charm, no leaks. You will be surprised of what comes out.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:20 AM   #9
Bruce of MN

This came out of my cooling system after running vinegar for a few days.

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:15 PM   #10
ronn

sounds like a plan. 3 weeks should be fine if you are bringing it up to temp many times.

I leave vinegar in mine for 6 weeks. start it up about 2x a week for 20 minutes and always gets a good cleaning. Have never had a problem with a leak from this process. Have done at least 10 cars this way.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:18 PM   #11
burner31

Be very careful when draining and flushing, the vinegar and the gunk that comes out can really do a job on any painted surfaces and bare metal areas.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 04:06 PM   #12
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Using distilled water is a waste of money in my opinion. Tap water is good. Better yet is a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and tap water.
Like a gallon of distilled water is so expensive, ~$1.25 at the market. I would never put our tap water in a radiator (or battery). Way too hard.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 04:44 PM   #13
BillCNC

One should visually inspect the integrity of old radiators (93+ years) when using acids. You might have a odd looking lawn sprinkle if you not careful.

I'd go 72 hours at a time neutralizing the vinegar with baking soda each time until she's clean.

Have you used 1/4 cup of Cascade liquid dishwasher soap before the vinegar yet?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:06 PM   #14
ronn

Bill- vinegar is only 4% acid. the rest is water. no need to neutralize every 72 hours. you want it to clean............

never had a lawn sprinker from vinegar. Too much fear of the unknown.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:37 PM   #15
MilwaukeeMike

When I did this I bought a few cases of distilled water. Fill, run, drain, repeat. At some point the drained water looks fairly clean. Finish by putting in a good coolant mix. It leached a lot of gunk out of the entire cooling system. Just do not leave it in there for long.
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:46 PM   #16
Synchro909

My experience says that there will be some grease in the system before you start your cleaning. I know a guy who tried to remove the grease by adding a fist full of laundry powder to the radiator. Unsurprisingly, it foamed into a thick, creamy substance quite quickly and the temperature rose. Bubbles don't cool an engine. As a result of his experience, I thought about that for a while trying to find a detergent that will cut grease, yet NOT foam. I settled on couple of dish washer tablets. I put them in and drove about 100 miles and by the time I got back home, the car was still running at the same temperature it was when I set out or a little cooler and the top tank looked a lot cleaner through the filler cap. The grease must be gone before vinegar is added or the vinegar will not get at the rust. I drained the system and flushed it a couple of times and only then, did I add the vinegar. I left that in there for a couple of months, running the engine every couple of days if I wasn't driving the car anyway to keep it circulating. I may have left it there longer than the optimal time because when I drained it, the water was VERY rusty coloured. I flushed it and the next lot of water was not much clearer. That convinced me that the job was not finished so I added vinegar again and repeated the process. I did that (I think) 3 or 4 times till I saw any real improvement.
Would I use that process again? Probably not but it did work.
My Brother in Law used this process and raves about it. The kit comes with enough chemical to do 2 Model A systems so if you have a friend with a similar problem, you might share a kit. There is a warning with that - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I have no interest in this company and note the prices are in Australian dollars, not $US. Every $US100 will but you about $A150.
https://liquidintelligence.com.au/pr...c-rust-remover
Old 02-09-2024, 12:26 AM   #17
daveymc29

This will be my second round with the vinegar. I did us dish washer soap before I started the last time. Didn't see signs of grease in the water this time. Last time it was a real mess until I got the third rinse, using tap water. Filled it with distilled water, about $1.00 Gal. at the grocery. Vinegar has, however, jumper from perhaps $1.25 to about $7.00 and hard to find in my town. Better than $500.00 at the radiator shops, and some are above that a bit now days. I wasn't overheating much, didn't notice anything but a little steam and I believe that was from not advancing the spark enough. Just a precaution because of some hills to climb on the Spring opener. ( Herb, I'll call you.) I did find a problem with my points, the nut and washer has come off where all the wires meet the point arm, would die for no reason and always fired right back up. Usually after a turn. Don't see all that well and couldn't find my flashlight, so that one escaped me for several trips to coffee in the rain and cold. Pulled the distributor and imediately went for my junk bin for a nut and washer, problem solved.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM   #18
ronn

synch- we use Dawn here. an anti colloidal detergent that we have discussed here in the past. does a heck of a job and no major foaming.

it was actually invented to degrease engines.