Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
53vicki

Default 53 convert to 3 speed - advice please

My Dad has a 53 Victoria Fordmatic that is, in short, absolutely no fun to drive. He's always wished it was a 3 speed column shift - so I want to help get that done.

Please tell me what year 3 speed with OD will be best to use. I read that 62 Ford's had the 1st full synchro 3 speed - i have no idea what year range of 3 speeds will fit in his 53. Also read that the trans must have side mounted shift linkage in order to have it be column shift.

I'd like to get as modern a trans as possible that will allow it to be bolt in - no involved modifications - if that means I need to get a 3 speed from 1949-53 then that's what I'll do. Ford trucks in the mid 80's used 3 speeds with OD but I doubt those could work with a column shift. ?

Thanks Guys !
53vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: 53 convert to 3 speed - advice please

You'll probably want to change the rear end, too. I believe the Fordomatic was something like 3.31, while the 3-speed was 3.73.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
ford38v8

There are a number of ways to do it, but as you specify "no modifications", that suggests that originality is a major consideration for you and your dad. For this, you have two options, only one of which will produce the absolutely correct result, that being to trade the car in question for one having the 3 speed w/overdrive. I'm not being sarcastic, this is really the best way to go, and certainly the least expensive. The second option would be to obtain a parts car of the same year and model, but having the transmission you want. The entire car would be desirable to have, as there are many other parts besides the transmission that must be changed, the total cost of which would far exceed the cost of a parts car.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
tubman

One thing I do know from buying adapters from various engines to "shoebox" Ford transmissions is that Ford manual transmissions have the same bolt pattern '49-'64. You're lucky that you have a '53 rather than an earlier car as the hanging pedals eliminated the boss on the transmission that the clutch mechanism hooks to. A later Ford OD transmission may be easier to install than many think. I don't know for sure, but in may involve fabricating the transmission mount and modifying the driveshaft. You will still have to deal with the steering column, shift linkage, and the clutch linkage, so as the others have said, a parts car is almost a necessity. Then there is the overdrive system itself. There is the relay on the firewall, the kick-down switch under the accelerator pedal, the lockout cable under the dash, and the additional wiring harness. This is not a trivial job.

Can it be done? Sure, but you would be way ahead if you could find a car equipped like you want and make a trade. With the graying of the Ford enthusiast community, more and more folks are looking for cars with automatics.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
RalphG

I love my Mercomatic. Only way I'd change to a standard is if the old Mercomatic has a catastrophic failure. Theres nothing like automatic for slow cruising main street in small town Sask.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
53vicki

What's the best way to determine if a 3 speed has overdrive ? the R10 stamp on the case or another way ?

Thanks again for all the help. I'm taking notes and looking for a 52/53 parts car.
53vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Newc

Hi; I am currrently driving an auto '53. Remember the 6V/12v change also affects the OD electrics. You really need a donor car up thru '55, preferably another '53. Get on your local Craig's list for those rust outs ect. are around. My Fordamatic rebuild used 3 cores to get things right, save/sell your old core. Newc in Oregon
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
donald1950

the 49, 50, & 51 transmissions will not fit due to different rear transmission mount. 53 and up, but i do not know how far up, will fit due to different motor mounts. lot of items to change out like column shiftier, adding a clutch pedal and linkage.. a 53 3 speed doner car will be very helpfull..
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The overdrive unit in between the tail shaft and the transmission is the first give away. All of them have the R-10 tail but not all are the same. The 49 thru 51 Fords all had a casting protrusion from the left side of the case for the part of the clutch mechanisms to attach. The 1952 on had swing pedals so the clutch actuation mechanism was different. Most of the 1951 transmission from Fords & Mercs had the new style diamond type gears and they are considered to be a better unit due to the new design. I'd start looking for any Ford or Mercury units from 1952 thru 1953 and consider Y-block units on a case by case basis. Some have different tail housing for different applications in those years where the 52 & 53 are basically all the same.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote