Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
jagalyn

Default Confused: 32 Grille on 31

I want a 32 but the pricing on steel cars make it almost impossible. I've got everything I need to build a 32 except the body... I've got the rolling chassis, the flathead motor, grille, lights, firewall, hood, radiator, radiator shell... everything but a coupe or roadster body. I do not want a fiberglass body so that is out. I could buy a brookville body but 11-13,000 is out of my price range.

So that leads me to my question... I know of a few 31 coupes/roadsters that are doable... but what do I need to run a 32 grille on them? Will a 32 grille work with a stock 31 hood? Will a 32 grill work with stock 31 fenders? Can I put a 31 body and fenders on a 32 chassis... I've heard that the chassis would have to be "pinched"... what is that? Would it be better to keep it on a 31 chassis or buy a "pinched" 32? What are the pros and cons?

I've been told that the 31 is "so much smaller" than a 32... I'm a pretty big guy, would a 31 be too small? Should I just "buck up" and buy a brookville roadster body and be done with it?

I"m confused... any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jagalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Geo. H

Default Re: Confused: 32 Grille on 31

I have a friend who put a 32 repo radiator shell & grill on his 31 Victoria. Still using A hood and fenders.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
fordcragar

Here is a picture of my coupe, it's a 31 on a Model A chassis; otherwise basically what you were talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010036 (Medium).JPG (127.9 KB, 116 views)
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagalyn View Post

I've been told that the 31 is "so much smaller" than a 32... I'm a pretty big guy, would a 31 be too small? Should I just "buck up" and buy a brookville roadster body and be done with it?
Look up in your area any local Model A clubs. Tell them you are looking to buy a '31 model A and want to see which you fit best in. (Not a lie)

I think a coupe will be a tight fit with out modification to the tray shelf.

Also to widen you audence did you also post this on the HAMB site and the early ford forum on this site?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
TedG

Many Model A bodies have been mounted on '32 frames but it would be far easier to install a '32 shell & grille on a A.

Pinching a frame involves:
Making V notches top & bottom at some point along the side rails behind were you want the narrow point.
Usually the narrow point is at the front of the cowl so you make straight cuts again top & bottom at that point.
Next you have to pull the frame rails toward each other ahead of the Vee cuts (which may require trimming the center X member) while pushing them back out at the straight cuts in order to maintain the original width for engine mounting, this is much easier to do with the front crossmember removed because you can make the bends seperately.
Then weld filler pieces in the straight cuts which are now Vees and weld up the Vee notches, the edges of which (if calculated correctly) are now almost touching.
A lot of times a Model A front crossmember is installed in the '32 chassis because it also lowers the front end.
I know it has been done without one but all of these modifications should be done on a frame table to assure nothing gets twisted.

I believe you will also have to modify the real subrails and floor of the A body to mount it on the '32 frame.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
John LaVoy

My first Model A was a 29 coupe. It was running a 32 shell when I pulled it out of the field. That was 45 years ago so don't remember much other than the hood had been slightly trimmed to match up to the shell.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
V4F

coupes / 4 doors / pick ups are small to get into . the tudor has much , much more room the get in & out . better try one first to see if you fit ................. steve
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
jagalyn

Thank you to all who have posted. I appreciate the help.
J.
jagalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Charlie Stephens

To answer your quesion about the '31 body on the '32 chassis go to http://wescottsauto.com/Tech/frame_specs.html and compare the specs for the two frames. I think the worst problem would be the kick up of the frame at the rear. You will end up spending a lot of money and the result will look funny and be difficult to sell in the future. Sell your '32 chassis (you should be able to get enough to buy a lot of Model A parts) and put the money into a Model A or step up to a '32 body.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Pete

Here is a couple pics of what can be done.
The first is a 31 body on a 32 frame...NO frame mods..
Stock 32 radiator...Home made aluminum hood and side panels.

The second pic is a 29 frame and body with a 32 grille and an
unmodified Brookville hood..I have the Brookville louvered side
panels also but never run them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 at Federal Way1 1976.jpg (110.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 22 at Monroe1 2007.jpg (66.7 KB, 25 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
Kirby1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagalyn View Post

I"m confused... any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I chose a tudor for this reason. I moved the front seats back a bit and all is fine.
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
TedG

I, and I'm sure many others, feel if done correctly and by oneself (if you have the skills) the end result would not be overly expensive (no hobby is cheap), funny looking or difficult to sell.

But, that being said, if you really want a '32 no other car is going to scratch that itch.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote