Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 351w swap

I want to put a 351w in my 56 ford customline it has a 272 yblock in it know. Does any one make a kit for it or does any one have any helpfull info?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 351w swap

Dont forget to get your engine mounts for the 351. you might have to make a crossmember piece between the frame rails. An easy thing to do is to get the "K" frame out of a 74 chevy nova, you get power steering,power disc brakes and independent suspension. it is an easy install , besure to get an extra 6" back from the firewall on the K frame. then cut the truck frame 4" past the trucks fire wall. leave it sticking out. the K frame rails will slip into the trucks frame rails allowing an easy weld that is strong too. then you are set up for a much bigger v8 block and with a little extra work you can have a one piece tilt front end and a truck that drives like a caddy!

good luck!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Dustin,

I remember back around 1963 or so, one of the major mags put a 289 in a '57 ford, and it was pretty staight forward. I think if you get the 289 motor mounts for a full size '63-64 ford car (I'll bet NAPA still has them)the 351 should bolt in. In any case, good luck!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

As Georga said it is a pretty easy swap. The 272 and 351W weigh about the same. You don't mention tranny but remember automatic make an easier swap, you cen use an aftermarket shifter with little problem installing. I put a 429 auto in a 52 Crestline...Thats a whole differnt story. Good luck Russell aka Inthegarge

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

I think Dustin is talking about a car. Like Customline model.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Thanx for the help guys i really apreciate it. Now all i need to do is buy the engine and i will get started. I think the tranny i am going to use is a the c-6

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

try butches rod shop!!!! they have a bolt in kit that only requires drilling 2 hols in you rear crossmember.....very easy kit!!!!! im dropping a 351 and an AOD into my 54 customline. im glad i didnt go with some of the other kits where i had to cut out crossmembers and such!!