Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 65 Fairlane woes

My 65 fairlane 500 with 289 & C4 (89k original miles) has an intermittent stalling problem. It will happen suddenly at any speed, warmed engine. But will restart after considerable cranking. I pulled the carb (ford 2 barrel) top off and there is plenty of fuel in the bowl, and the fuel pump filter has been changed. I am thinking electrical, but I've changed points, condenser, etc. Will a faulty coil fail intermittently? That's about the only electrical thing, other than ignition switch that can interrupt the engine. These once-in-a-while, sudden death type malfunctions are difficult to diagnose; wish it would just quit altogether so I could inspect fuel/electrical system failures.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 65 Fairlane woes

I would try heating the coil with a hair drier or heat gun while the engine is warm and idling. If this causes the engine to die, turn off the ignition and use a wet rag to cool the coil quickly. If the engine then restarts easily a new coil would be your best bet.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Default Re: 65 Fairlane woes

well, you seem to have answered my question that a coil can fail intermittently. I will simply replace the coil with a new one; this is likely the original coil that came with the car and it's overdue for a replacement. Thanks very much.