Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 1954 Ford questions

I'm planning a 302/C4 combo swap into my 54 2-dr sedan. Anyone done this or know of anything I should be on the lookout for? I've already found the bolt in motor mounts from Hot Rod and Custom Supply.

Also, I'm planning to do a disk brake conversion on the front brakes as well as rebuilding the entire front end. Any wisdom on this topic?

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 1954 Ford questions

Don, I.m doing this very same instalation curently with the exceptions that I,ve got a

54 Merc and am installing a 351W and AOD...

I purchased all of my hardware (disk brakes,power steering, heavy duty sway bar, springs, motor mounts, trany mount and used

67 Merc tilt wheel) from Gearheads out of North Dakota....approximate cost was about

$2100 all total...I bought the front end rebuild peices from Kanters (lower bushings,

outer tie-rods) the rest (upper bushings) I got locally....

the gearbox is a new 605 unit mdified to bolt to the 54 frame (minor dimpling required) I,ve pulled the original motor and tranny out and have the power steering gearbox installed and the tilt wheel mocked in place....it sounds like we're on parallel

paths...e-mail me and we can keep intouch on our projects..

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Don, I see in your add you plan on keeping

your valve covers...are you planning on disguising your 302...E-mail me and I'll tell you what I did to my 353W to look like a 312....

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Yes, I do plan on disguising the 302. I don't know how or if the valve covers will fit though. I plan on mating the bottom opening from a late model air cleaner to the old oil bath air cleaner.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

I dont know if a pickup conversion is easier but the 302 is a common swap in 54-56 F100's. You may want to check a few of the F100 forums.

Ive a 54 F350 but Im going from the 239 to a mild 292. Why dont you want to stay with a Y Block?

A 292/312 will blow a 302 away between stop signs!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

Well jeeez 286....I wish you'd told me sooner...its too late now cause I'm commited

to the 351w...all I wanted to do was go fast and have a nostalgic motor...the problem is two-fold..(1)one is to make 300hp

with less than $2500 and (2)two is to find anybody knowledgeable enough localy to built it (y-block)..I read everything I could get my hands on about y-blocks...there are a lot of little tricks that most have forgot or in the case of youth...just don't know..

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

I sent you a e-mail but don't think you got it. I 've got your address and phone but I tried to call a few nites ago without any luck. Just e-mail me in june and I will pick up all the parts.

You asked about fatman spindles. You have to use granada disk brakes with them..

I got new rotors, calipers, pads, bearings

and a mustang II master cylinder all at auto

zone. Hoses too (1985 buick Riv.)

the only junk yard part required is the brackets that mount to the spindles and the

calipers . I also got the junk yard calipers

and saved the core charges at auto zone.

The spindles come with instructions that

work. One other thing the 1954 rims will not fit the rotors. The center hole is too small. You can machine the hubs or use later

model rims

Jack

Do you have any other Fords ??????

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

anyone know the address and phone number of the 1954 ford club? i would like to have it,