Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
GT66PONY

Default Engine frame number

Hey guys
after reading a post about engine numbers and frame numbers, I found mine! They are both the same number. 2428693 and then a star.

What does this mean? Is there any way I can tell anything about my truck by these numbers? It is a 1928 closed cab pickup.
thanks
GT66PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Engine frame number

There should have been a star at the beginning also. When the engine and transmission assembly passed final inspection at the Rouge plant (where all the engines were made) the assembly was assigned an number that was stamped into a pad on the side of the block. The assemblies were shipped all around the country to assembly plants and to some foreign assembly plants that didn't make their own engines. When the frame went down the assembly line this same number was stamped into the frame. There are no surviving records showing where the engines were shipped. About all you can tell is the date the engine/transmission assembly passed final inspection. The judging standards say to allow up to 3 months for the engine to reach the assembly line. A list showing the date the serial number was assigned may be found at https://www.mafca.com/data_eng_production.html . Your number corresponds to October 1929.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT66PONY View Post
Hey guys
after reading a post about engine numbers and frame numbers, I found mine! They are both the same number. 2428693 and then a star.

What does this mean? Is there any way I can tell anything about my truck by these numbers? It is a 1928 closed cab pickup.
thanks
All you know is when the engine was made (Engine #2428693 was made on Oct 7, 1929) and within about 3 months when it was installed in your truck.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
Papa's CCPU

Gary,
By using that number and going to this website,
http://www.modelahouse.com/cgi-bin/enumbers/numdate

Your trucks engine was stamped on Oct, 7 1929
Sometime later that engine was put on the frame and stamped. You have a matching numbers truck.

Where it was assembled could be determined from a stamping inside the cab in front of the seat. There are letter codes that can help determine which assembly plant it came from....

More information can be found here:
http://www.plucks329s.org/index.htm
Papa's CCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
CarlG

If the frame and engine number match, and neither has been "re-stamped" then you have a 1929, not a 1928.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
GT66PONY

Well then! I bought it as a 1928, But the title says 29, I thought it was a typo!!!
Is that a good thing or a bad thing????
Old 03-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
CarlG

If the title says it's a '29, then you are all set! Everything matches!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
GT66PONY

is it worth more or less than a 28!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
pooch

And as you have matching numbers, albeit missing the front star, can you carefully look at the rearmost cab to chassis holes.

I have read these were hand drilled after the cab was on , as the standard stamped chassis did not have these holes.

Are they exactly alike on both sides ?

(seeing it was done by workers skill and probably not a jig.)

Is the hole in the cab and the hole in the chassis the same drilling through and the same size and in exactly the same place on each side ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
pooch

Quote:
is it worth more or less than a 28!

Except if it was a very early AR with very early features, it is worth more in my book, no lousy early brake system, a better front engine mount, a stronger starter, a single plate clutch, etc.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
GT66PONY

I might have a front star! I have a temporary dash on the truck to hold gauges and switches and such! I do not understand what you mean about the holes! But I will go to the garage and have a look!
Old 03-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
newshirt

While off topic... here's another date-related thing to check. Does your firewall have a date stamp? My CCPU is stamped '10 6 28' and is titled 1929. This won't likely match your engine number, but it's fun to look for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall_sm.jpg (119.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
GT66PONY

OK, I have a star in front . Also an A Do not know what you meant by the holes, but they look the same on both sides. I could not find any stamps inside cab, but did not know where to look. I have photos, but do not know how to post them here, go to my Album.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #14
Papa's CCPU

Quote:
OK, I have a star in front . Also an A Do not know what you meant by the holes, but they look the same on both sides. I could not find any stamps inside cab, but did not know where to look. I have photos, but do not know how to post them here, go to my Album.
Thanks for the info
On the top of the sub-rail in front of the seat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140622_IMG_2742 - 600.JPG (88.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20140622_IMG_2741 - 600.JPG (106.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20140622_IMG_2740 - 600.JPG (65.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
GT66PONY

I could not find a number on the gas tank. still not sure what I am looking at in your photos, But I could not find a no. in front of seat. My cab is removed and laying on its back, glass down, windshield up. Go to my album and check it out! thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #16
Papa's CCPU

Not the clearest pictures, just an example of were to look for reference on the body stamp location.

This is from an 82-A Cab just like yours. This one was stamped SFAA 6387, meaning a San Francisco AA assembled cab, not certain of actual month or year.

Can't tell from your photos, but like your gas tank, you might not have any stamp inside the cab! That would have helped in finding out where your truck was assembled.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I could not find a number on the gas tank. still not sure what I am looking at in your photos, But I could not find a no. in front of seat. My cab is removed and laying on its back, glass down, windshield up. Go to my album and check it out! thanks
You might not. not all the plants did it consistently.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

If you sit in the driver's seat with your feet straight down, about where your left heel sets is where I usually find the body number.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #19
Ron in Quincy

Let me tell you a true story about my uncle who lived in Stockton, CA. This was about 1965.

At his ranch,next to the fence outside the back door sat a 1929 AA Closed Cab1 Ton Truck with a factory Stake bed, all the racks, Ford script on the back of the bed. I made the remark to him that the truck would be excellent for a restoration, that the fact he bought it new and it was the way it came from the factory. He said it was not like it came from the factory !!!! I said "it is not" and he related the following story:

In 1929 the Ford dealer telephoned and told him the AA Truck he ordered was in and ready for him to pick it up. When he arrived at the dealership his truck had a Open Cab on it; uncle said was upset, told the dealer he had ordered a Closed Cab not a Open Cab. Setting at the dealership was a new 1/2 Ton Pickup with a Closed Cab on it; the dealer told him to come back tomorrow, I will put that Closed cab on you truck. When he went back the next day the dealership had switched the bodies so uncle took delivery.

In looking the truck over I noticed there was no date stamp on the gas tank. I told uncle that was strange as being a 1929 there should be a date stamp on the tank. Uncle told me that the gas tank started leaking around the steering column on the inside about 2 months after he took delivery. Uncle said he called the dealer who told him to bring the truck in and they would take care of the problem; two days later he picked up the truck, the dealership had installed a new gas tank.

I suspect who ever ended up with that AA after my uncle passed away, believes it to be all original.

Makes you wonder, unless you get to talk to the original owner and find out what really took place with the vehicle, it may not be the way it came from the factory.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 AM   #20
GT66PONY

Good story!
When I went to look at this truck, for the first time I did not know what I was going to do with it! I have a 66 Mustang fastback GT, A 06 Mustang GT, A 78 Ranger
a 1980 Camaro Z28 And I Did not know anything about a Model A !!

I was thinking street rod, Rat rod or driver!! When I saw the truck for the first time, it was way too nice to butcher!!! It is fast becoming my favorite toy !!