Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #41
lasherspirit

Default Re: hi, new here with question before i buy. 31 fordor briggs body

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Actually, from your latest pics, it is a flat firewall, not an indented. This is what I expected. The gas valve is inside the car, under the tank.

It could be anything from 1930 through early 1931, based on what we see right now.

Check for round or oval speedo, and 1 or 2 piece running board splash aprons for further timing.

Also, what is that body number? I can't read the last digits?
shows to be 164-19012
lasherspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #42
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Now That I see the pictures I change my $50 suggestion! $25 tops. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-11-2016 at 08:18 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Your engine, or at least the front timing gear cover is 1928.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #44
700rpm

You are either single, or you have a very understanding wife.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #45
H. L. Chauvin

My wood body Briggs Town Sedan body number, (with later round speedometer and ribbed dash), is 164-15894, and the pop-out key number which I think is original was dated by Mr. Crabtree as late August 1930.

With our body numbers of 164-19012 & 164-15894, according to Ancestry.Com, (and maybe after checking our Auto-Church-Birth-Certificates), our cars may be within the fifth (5th) degree of kindred .... I'll crack open a bottle of wine to celebrate this most important event.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 12-11-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #46
mike657894

If your going for an all steel car I think the coupes pretty much start out that way. the fordor has the most wood and also the lowest sales prices. my car was garaged for 50 years. and I still found rust holes even though the wood was good. not to be a bummer but I dont see many pieces there that are very workable. but if your going rat rod and paying under 1000 go for it. I like to see ambition. and taking this on is nothing short of ambitious. I have thought about a cheap 2nd model a and starting with a doodle bug and making a speedster.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #47
lasherspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Top Molding in Pic 4 looks like the molding used on bodies prior to May 31.
A rubber insert was used from May 31 on.
while i was up there that day and before i had even went over to take the pics of this car i had come across 3 different visors that the guy and found and set aside so he could check to see if any of them was one he need for one of the cars of his dads that he is going to finish in his honor. and after taking the pics and loading them on computer to post em here looking at that particular photo i got to thinking about those 3 and im almost sure that one of the ones he had found is the one for this car.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #48
lasherspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
You are either single, or you have a very understanding wife.

700rpm, neither actually,
Im married and she is not understanding all, not even in the slightest! But after 10yrs, I just simply dont give a flying _ _ _ _! Its a constant fight. Always telling me how stupid i am for getting all this junk and i wont never make any money back on them, just be a total waste.

Well to her i say, "ok, whatever bitch, we will see who is laughing in couple years on down the road when things do go as i plan and im making 5-10 times the money ive got in them" and oh yeah by the way "since thats what you think and constently tell me that, guess what? when im right and your worng like always, you arent getting any of the money, not one singal cent: HA
Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #49
lasherspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Your engine, or at least the front timing gear cover is 1928.
Tom really? well tell me specifically what to tale pics of on that subject when i go back next weekend so i can get them to, cause he has said may only be another 2-3 weeks before he stops letting anyone come up there due to the weather coming on, and we will just have to wait till spring time to resume.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #50
lasherspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
My wood body Briggs Town Sedan body number, (with later round speedometer and ribbed dash), is 164-15894, and the pop-out key number which I think is original was dated by Mr. Crabtree as late August 1930.

With our body numbers of 164-19012 & 164-15894, according to Ancestry.Com, (and maybe after checking our Auto-Church-Birth-Certificates), our cars may be within the fifth (5th) degree of kindred .... I'll crack open a bottle of wine to celebrate this most important event.

Well that cool, but hold off on the wine just yet cause i dont have it bought yet, just found it out there where it is hiding this weekend when i picked up that 38 oldsmobile f37 i posted a pic of. and where it was ive driven right by it at least 3 times already within 15 feet of it and had never even noticed it....lol...so i just jumped out of truck on way out and snapped those pics so i could find somewhere like this to get research on it, like figuring out what that body # plate would tell me, and hopefully maybe get some ppl to give me ideas what they would pay for it like it is from different parts of the country so i could get kinda an average price of worth around the country so when i ask what he wants for it ill know if its way off, only a little off or under priced and would be a steal. oh yeah forgot to ask you, what are you talking about when you mentioned: pop-out key number?

Last edited by lasherspirit; 12-12-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: forgot to ask something
Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #51
lasherspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
If your going for an all steel car I think the coupes pretty much start out that way. the fordor has the most wood and also the lowest sales prices. my car was garaged for 50 years. and I still found rust holes even though the wood was good. not to be a bummer but I dont see many pieces there that are very workable. but if your going rat rod and paying under 1000 go for it. I like to see ambition. and taking this on is nothing short of ambitious. I have thought about a cheap 2nd model a and starting with a doodle bug and making a speedster.

thanks, ambitious i am, like ive said in responses to others, im just collecting everything i can get my hands on right now at good prices, preparing for something bigger down the road if all works out, cause 1, they arent making these any more and when they gone they gone. 2. this is the first model A of any kind i have came across around here in 25 years of looking out for things like this.....lol.....funny thing is, where all these are at that im now being allowed into the property since the death of the guys father that owned and lived there is this.....im 39yrs old and i have been trying to get into this property since i was 16 cause i just knew there was some good stuff up on the huge wooded hill.....but never could talk the guy into it. he wouldnt let no one in there. and now 23yrs later guess my hunch was correct. i can only imagine what it would have been like all those years ago if he would have agreed any of the times i tried.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #52
H. L. Chauvin

In your #51 question: Should have said pop-out "switch" number.

Car has original pop-out ignition switch.

Sent to have repaired and it had a switch number that Mr. Crabtree said was dating this late 1930 Town Sedan to August 1930.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #53
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasherspirit View Post
Tom really? well tell me specifically what to tale pics of on that subject when i go back next weekend so i can get them to, cause he has said may only be another 2-3 weeks before he stops letting anyone come up there due to the weather coming on, and we will just have to wait till spring time to resume.
Notice where the front motor mount bolts to the cover. It has a very wide lip to rest on the front cross member with the solid motor mount. From late November 1928 to the end, the lip is just wide enough for the motor mount yoke.

BTW, treat your wife nice, or she may take half of everything.

Also look for the engine number just above the water inlet on the left side of the block. If it's original it will be stamped into raw cast iron (not machined or ground smooth). Post the number here and someone can tell when it was made.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote