Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Holly Adjustments

I have a 351M 400 with a Holly 1850 carburetor. The rebuild is finally complete, and it barely runs. Starts right up, but won't go below about 3,000 RPM. Lots of backfires. The carburetor is from the Pomona swap meet, and was rebuilt. I think it's running on the vacuum secondarys. Is there a web site that tells where the adjustments are on this carburetor?

I set the static timing according to the shop manual, but can't find any reference to how much advance it needs. Help!

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Holly Adjustments

you didnt say what year 351, my book goes to 1971, all are set at 6 degrees b/t/d/c

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

OK, here's the story: I bought a '78 Lincoln Mk V as a doner. The engine, C-6 and 9" rear end are now in a '46 Coupe. I had the heads rebuilt, put in a Crane cam with new lifters and a new timing chain. Ignition is a new MSD 6A. Offenhauser 4 BBL manifold with the Holly 1850. The Lincoln ran well when I drove it home, but hasen't run since. I suspect the major problem is carburetor, but don't know this for sure. At this point, I am willing to try anything.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Bob, I would check for vacuum leaks first. This is the usual cause of high idle. If you find no leak then I would suspect the carb. JMO Russell

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the tip.. I finally dug up the old, dirty 2 BBL that came with the engine, made an adapter plate to mount it on the 4 BBL manifold, and it runs beautifully!!