Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
hrs1948

Default 1936 Radiator Availability

Does anyone know if there are any remaining suppliers of original style 1936 radiators? Or will if be necessary to find a decent used one and rebuild it? Thanks for any info!
hrs1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
James

Default Re: 1936 Radiator Availability

I am going through the same issue. Here is the only "original" '36 style I have come across, from BrassWorks, which has the recessed area in the top tank for the fan:

https://thebrassworks.net/collection...r-reproduction

My '36 has about 45,000 miles and the original radiator was repaired 25 years ago by a local shop (Northboro MA) whose repairman said if I ever needed a recore, Maine Radiator was a good source. The radiator is starting to weep again where the core is soldered to the top tank (same as before). So, I'd be interested in the experience others have had with cores from either Maine Radiator or Brassworks, or is a new radiator the best option.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
TJ

Did you try US Radiator in L.A. California?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:54 PM   #4
Krylon32

Just a James says Brassworks builds an authentic replacement 36 radiator. I have a Brassworks 32 radiator and it is of the highest quality.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:22 AM   #5
ford38v8

A peculiarity of the '36 radiator is its large flat upper tank, which is more vulnerable to expansion/contraction related failure than are radiators of other years, due in large part to the very shape itself. The use of a pressure cap on an unmodified '36 radiator is a prescription for disaster. Under pressure, the flat surface balloons out (oil cans if you will), causing the soldered seams to stress and fail.

During a recore of the '36 radiator, an inner support can be soldered across the flat, the goal of which being to offer some rigidity to that surface, and protection for the soldered seams, which themselves were never designed to survive the installation of a pressure cap.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #6
hrs1948

Thanks guys! Both Brassworks and US Radiator list original style radiators in their on line catalogs. Also thank you Alan for the useful info regarding stiffening the upper tank top surface to reduce the possibility of seam failure.
hrs1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:53 PM   #7
The Brassworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
A peculiarity of the '36 radiator is its large flat upper tank, which is more vulnerable to expansion/contraction related failure than are radiators of other years, due in large part to the very shape itself. The use of a pressure cap on an unmodified '36 radiator is a prescription for disaster. Under pressure, the flat surface balloons out (oil cans if you will), causing the soldered seams to stress and fail.

During a recore of the '36 radiator, an inner support can be soldered across the flat, the goal of which being to offer some rigidity to that surface, and protection for the soldered seams, which themselves were never designed to survive the installation of a pressure cap.
This is a good point. A cap's pressure is measured in pounds-per-square inch. If you imagine 1" square graphing paper overlaid on a tank and then imagine a 16# weight on each of the squares you quickly appreciate the impact pressure might have on a solder joint.

Ribs in a drawing dies help strengthen the metal. Continued expansion and contraction will flex metal (and solder joints) and the impact of this stress may be managed with embossed impressions, reliefs, beads, thicker tank material and electing for either no pressure or modest pressure e.g. 3-7psi.

I would be hesitant to use an internal "bridging support" as the expansion will inevitably occur and the solder at such support points remain rigid. The consequence is metal distortion which is altogether unappealing.

For restored radiators and period correct builds The Brassworks hand fabricates a larger tank to mimic the OE and for engines with higher pressure demands found in street rods we use a thicker drawn tank with less tank area.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
Newc

Be ready for a production delay of weeks tho. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #9
CaliforniaBorn36

I spoke with several vendors when I was looking. Be certain to talk with whomever you chose. One I spoke with advertised a correct replacement, but when I spoke with them, it was the correct shape for 1936 with hood supports etc, but did not have the indentation in the bottom of the upper tank. It was only good for a non-original build. They were very up front about it, just be diligent.

I ended up re-coring an original that I found. Still very expensive.

Last edited by CaliforniaBorn36; 01-12-2023 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding info.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
CA Victoria

The craftsmen at Brassworks are building one radiator at a time.
The wait time is indicative of a demand for quality & craftsmanship.
BW rebuilt my original early 1935 radiator. It made sense as an investment to protect the engine.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #11
v8nut

There is one on eBay that looks pretty decent to rebuild.
v8nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:44 PM   #12
51504bat

Brassworks is worth the wait. Period.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:43 AM   #13
cas3

All I can say is the Brassworks radiator for my 34, was expensive, took awhile to get, and its gorgeous, fit right and cools almost too much. Money well spent. I also have a Brassworks all brass radiator for my 14 T, its like art. Should be just on display
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote