Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
OL JENNY

Angry Never Too Old For Stupid Mistakes

The School of Hard Knocks has issued another diploma. I have several diplomas from the school, but I received an advanced degree today. I am not proud of this, but hopefully it might save someone else. I purchase the full flow valve cover oil filter to replace my side timing gear filter. I started to remove the existing filter (side timing cover), and was careful to remove the two side bolts, the three front bolts and cuss the silicone sealer that was holding the bottom. I carefully, so I thought, used a screwdriver to pry a little at the top and only slipped once. Most of you have already realized that I would have worked forever until I removed the 6th bolt which is a pan bolt in the bottom. Removed, cover falls off, allowing a nice view of the chipped tooth on my very nice fiber timing gear from the one small, so I thought slip of the screwdriver. I get to replace my timing gear! I have searched the topic, and have sent an email to Dan Mc Eachern to discuss his metal gears. I realize most advise a matched set, but I have about 5-6 thousand miles on an engine rebuild in the 80's, and really only want to replace the timing gear with the engine in the A. We, or at least I, do make work for ourselves by not being careful. Oh Well, nothing is without a positive side, maybe it is better to replace the fiber gear in my garage now, rather than after hauling it back from the side of the road on a tour.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Drive Shaft Dave

Default Re: Never Too Old For Stupid Mistakes

The woven laminated gear that Snyders and Brattons sell would be a good second choice.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

Hi, Dr. Fick! Let me know if you need help changing timing gears. As you know, I'm only half an hour away in Davenport. If you haven't changed a timing gear while the engine is still in the chassis, it can get a bit hairy. Do yourself a favor and take off the radiator first! It can be done without doing so, but it's a pain in the tuchus.
I second the suggestion to order the laminate gear from Snyder's. Unless your engine is making some serious horsepower or you want to drive across the United States, you don't really need a metal timing gear. Don't worry about matched timing gear sets. That might be more critical if your engine were really worn or you did decide to install a metal gear. Otherwise, a fiber timing gear is very forgiving of wear on a crankshaft gear. I suspect that's why Old Henry changed from the metal camshaft timing gear in his Model T to a fiber gear when he brought out the Model A.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
OL JENNY

Marshall, I sent a PM
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Chris Haynes

I read an article a few years ago about metal timing gears that have adjustable timing to dial in the cam. But I don't remember who had hem. :-(
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I read an article a few years ago about metal timing gears that have adjustable timing to dial in the cam. But I don't remember who had hem. :-(
Bill Stipe

http://www.stipemachine.com/index_files/page0010.htm
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote