Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
JOHN CT

Default Leakless water pump

I have a leakless water pump it's the type that the rear bearing needs to be greased. The instructions said to loosen the packing nut so the grease doesn't go into the coolant. So that's what I did. The question I have is how tight do I tighten the packing nut ? Do I make it finger tight or just tight enough to hold things together? I don't want to over do it it's a 1 year old pump
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Leakless water pump

Just tight enough that the shaft spins easy and water does not leak out. Not sure how that would prevent grease from going into the coolant, the grease would fill the void between the housing and seal and when you screw it back into place would pump it back, it's got to go someplace.
If the seal is the lipped type/modern it does not matter where it sit on the shaft there would be the same amount of pressure on the shaft from the seal.

OH! You don't need to over do the grease, a little goes a long way.

Last edited by redmodelt; 03-01-2017 at 01:33 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
wk2w

The one I got from Bratton's recommended removing the rear grease fitting altogether, packing grease into the housing with your finger, then reinstalling the grease fitting. This would ensure that you didn't force grease out under the seal into the coolant.
wk2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
redmodelt

Using the correct water pump grease helps get rid of that issue, grease mixing with water.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Using the correct water pump grease helps get rid of that issue, grease mixing with water.
Ditto. Use a separate grease gun with water pump grease keep it separate from the chassis grease gun. Good to go.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

How many turns did you unscrew it?? Tighten it back that many.................
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Ditto. Use a separate grease gun with water pump grease keep it separate from the chassis grease gun. Good to go.
You don't even need a separate grease gun. I use the cap on the fitting to push the grease in. Just scoop a little into the cap and screw it back on part way, then tighten some more a few hundred miles later. A little does indeed go a long way. By the time the cap is screwed all the way back on, you've done maybe 1,000 miles. The bush might take more grease as it or the shaft wears, which the soft shafts we are offered these days will do.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
barnstuf

In posts 4 and 5 the use of water pump grease is advised. However in the Ford Service Bulletins for September-October 193 2Ford dealer mechanics are warned against the use of special water pump lubricants for both the 4 cylinder and V8 cars advising that special water pump lubricants have a melting point considerably higher than the maximum water temperature, forcing surplus lubricant to ledge in the radiator water tubes. I know that advice was dated 1932. I have no expertise in the water pump lubricant sold today so I pose the question to posters 4 and 5 to clarify their statements. In 1932 the Service Bulletin went on to emphasize using chassis grease in the water pumps. Is there a lubrication expert in the ford barn forum??
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
johnbuckley

x2 Barnstuff! my thinking too....I can understand why you'd want waterproof grease (aka waterpump grease) on say a boats underwater propeller shaft. But on a car water pump using w/pump grease isn't going to stop you forcing grease through into the coolant and once there the water pump grease is much more likely to clag the tubes by not dissolving like ordinary grease would.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
JOHN CT

Thanks to everyone for responding on my thread. But the type of grease isn't the problem. I understand that I should use water pump grease. I just wanna know how tight should the packing nut should be
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
dennis lumbert

I have one of those pumps on my car.My understanding is the nut is to be finger tight and only tightened in the event of a seal failure (water leak) to stop the leak to get you home.
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis lumbert View Post
I have one of those pumps on my car.My understanding is the nut is to be finger tight and only tightened in the event of a seal failure (water leak) to stop the leak to get you home.
That's how I understand it too and the nut tightened only as far as is needed to stop the leak.
That said, I will not have a bar of the so called leakless pumps being flogged by vendors. I consider them rubbish. I build my own with modern seals and a sealed ball bearing at the front. Far more durable and still have the nut and gland packing just in case. Haven't needed it yet.