Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Jordan

Default Re: Turn signal effectiveness?

The only place turn signals should be (on the rear) is in the tail lights. That's where people look for them....when they even notice the tail lights. Cowl lights are good for on the front, because its more eye level with the other drivers. Personally, the best "eye catcher" is with the LED tail lights. There's no missing those, and turn signals would be easily seen (day or night). That's what I have on my car. They also now sell LEDs for the cowl lights.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I noticed the same thing on a friend's car! His turn signals were totally worthless. I could barely see them. But I didn't tell him because he probably felt secure in the knowledge that he had them, and any remarks from me might be taken as a "purist" insult.

I don't use electrical turn signals -- only hand signals. I found that slowing down a looooong distance from the intended turn is enough to "signal" cars behind me that something is about to happen. They "get it" and respect the old car ahead of them. I combine that with a long hand signal, and all is well. Nobody slams into me. Nobody mistakes my actions. It's always a nice gentle maneuver that keeps me safe. No need for turn signals.
Me too!
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
SteveM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
... I began to notice that the younger generation does not have a clue what a hand signal is. They think you are waving at them.
I knew it was time to add turn signals when, while I was signaling for a left turn, I noticed that the woman behind me was looking to her left wondering what I was pointing to!

Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
green30coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
I noticed the same thing on a friend's car! His turn signals were totally worthless. I could barely see them. But I didn't tell him because he probably felt secure in the knowledge that he had them, and any remarks from me might be taken as a "purist" insult.

I don't use electrical turn signals -- only hand signals
. I found that slowing down a looooong distance from the intended turn is enough to "signal" cars behind me that something is about to happen. They "get it" and respect the old car ahead of them. I combine that with a long hand signal, and all is well. Nobody slams into me. Nobody mistakes my actions. It's always a nice gentle maneuver that keeps me safe. No need for turn signals.
Try that in Florida and chances are you'll get a hand signal in return....and not necessarily with all the fingers on the hand.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

These are wireless directionals. I have no personal experence with them except that a T owner I know installed them and sent me the info.

Elights
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E-Lithgs-whats_in_the_box_2.pdf (1.76 MB, 52 views)

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 05-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #26
Jim/GA

It seems to me that the non-LED turn signals being sold to be mounted between the bumper bars are using very low candle power bulbs, as you would use for marker lights on a trailer. Useless during the day and not that great at night. I would not bother with them.

LED lights can be bright enough if enough individual LEDs are used in the light. They take up space and people want a small, unobtrusive light, so you can end up with too few LEDs in there.

You have more options with a 12 volt system to get brighter bulbs in place, if you want to stick to bulbs. I have 50 cp halogens in the back for stop/turn and they really light up, even during the day. An original 6 volt car will do better with LEDs, though, because high candlepower bulbs in 6 volts really take a lot of current.

I often hand signal at the same time as having the flashers going, especially when changing lanes to the left. It can't hurt. It can help get the attention of someone who is distracted by cell phone, radio, passenger, etc. while driving.

Let's be careful out there. Watch out for "the crazies"!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
TDO

Forget about hand signals, very few of us now a days don't know what they are.
As old Jed Clampett would say (PITIFUL,JUST PITIFUL)
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
F1NE29

I have been working on tail light "halo's" for my 29 A but I only have 1 tail light installed. I do not really want to go drilling into the fender and risk any kind of noticable offset or "tilt" plus it did not originally have but 1. Adding turn signals has always been a first mod in any new toy. I'm used to adding the big junky chrome stalk mount lever kits for 50$ to later 40's and 50's cars as I like the peace of mind having turn signals, I refuse to add that junk to this A though.
The logolites might be my only full kit option.
F1NE29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
Karl

I have my turn signals wired into the stop lights and the cowl lights but also have this additional indicator which is period . The arrow swings to the right or left as appropriate and it is backlit with a bright flashing red light . The following drivers know what I am doing -my only concern is that the will be so intriqued by the light that they will forget to brake and drive up my backside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0116.jpg (36.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (35.0 KB, 13 views)
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
1931 flamingo

Karl: That's neat ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
al's28/33

I just don't think modern drivers are watching our signals to begin with whether you are using hands, arms, lights, blinkers, flashers, bottle rockets or roman candles!!! they are so awestruck by "the old car" they aren't noticing our directionals. sad but true.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
1931 flamingo

They're usually tail gating so close they probably can't see any lights ! ! !
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Hotrodmyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I knew it was time to add turn signals when, while I was signaling for a left turn, I noticed that the woman behind me was looking to her left wondering what I was pointing to!

Steve
Signalling to make a left turn into my street...the person behind me passed on the left???
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #34
bhiland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
They're usually tail gating so close they probably can't see any lights ! ! !
Paul in CT
Agreed!!!!!! Im putting led lights in my rear for brightness and been thinking about turns but i get tailgeted so often I don't know if its worth the money anyway. I mean they so close it wont matter if I'm trying to turn or stop they going to hit me.
bhiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #35
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Karl: That's neat ! ! !
Paul in CT
Thanks Paul I brought it at a swap meet and restored it from pretty rough condition-Used it for a year until it fell off one day amd I dragged it on its wiring loom down the road for a few miles Restored it again and it is now very securely mounted!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote