Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #25
Capt Kirk

Default Re: Awwe Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Hey Kirk.....You've got a whole sack-full of clean parts there, and it's gettin' late on a Saturday afternoon. We're wonderin' if you got that thing glued-together yet, and if maybe you've done a few do-nuts to see if it's gonna stay in one piece! DD
Funny you should ask Coop...was just going to post up on the progress. I got started late morning cause I had to get some crock pot chili going. The axle is now assembled but still sitting on the ground. Everything went together fine. The axle housing gaskets measured .005 on one side and .006 on the other. I used both .005 gaskets so it's going to have .001 more preload than it had and the ring gear remains in the same position as it was. I don't have the tools to check pinion backlash but I could feel that there was a hair worth and everything spins like it should and with no binding. New seals in the axle tubes and hubs and put new brake shoes on while I had it apart. I noticed that the spring on one end of my e-brake cable was broken into a bunch of little springs and was no longer working. Guess I need to get another cable before I can get the drums on for good.
I had some afternoon stuff to do with the wife but I managed to get it assembled before we left.
Tomorrow, I want to pressure wash it and get a fresh coat of paint on it before sliding it under the car. I have some questions...I'll ask in the next post.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote