Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
Mittie Lee 1935

Default Nu Rex ignition switch

I Recently bought a 3 position Nu rex. Ignition switch that resembles the original but this one does not popout. My 1931 Ford has a single yellow wire that was attached to the original switch. I do not plan to use the Acc terminal on new switch. I hooked up yellow switch from my terminal box to the coil terminal and when motor wouldn’t start I hooked it to Batt terminal and car still would not start. Help, what am I doing wrong? I did buy a replacement cable that would run to the distributor from new switch and it has a black wire.Do I have to use this cable and if so where does the black wire go? If I don’t have to use metal cable does screw in at distributor have tobeplugged to keep moisture out?

Last edited by Mittie Lee 1935; 02-28-2024 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Word not correct
Mittie Lee 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:20 PM   #2
christian

Default Re: Nu Rex ignition switch

if you are using the stock wiring harness you should have a red wire going from one pole of the coil to the ignition switch. the other pole of the coil is connected to terminal block with a short black wire.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:20 PM   #3
Mittie Lee 1935

The original switch had only one wire [yellow] from terminal box attached to it and shielded cable going to distributor. Should I just run a wire from negative side of coil to batt terminal on switch any a second wire from positive side of coil to coil terminal on switch? Will this work or do I need to interrupt the circuit and how would I do this?
Old 02-28-2024, 11:19 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

You need a wire from the junction box, to the negative side of the coil. Then a wire from the positive side of the coil (if you still have positive ground system), thru the switch and then connected to your points in the distributor.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-28-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:34 PM   #5
Mittie Lee 1935

Thanks for the reply. So the instructions that came with the Nu Red switch says to run wire from junction box (was wire that was attached to original switch) to Batt terminal on new switch. So if I attach anew braided cable from switch to distributor and hook up black wire that is on one end to coilterminal, that should work right?
Old 02-29-2024, 12:10 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Can you post a picture of your Nurex instructions. What you proposed does not sound correct.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:14 AM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittie Lee 1935 View Post
Thanks for the reply. So the instructions that came with the Nu Red switch says to run wire from junction box (was wire that was attached to original switch) to Batt terminal on new switch. So if I attach anew braided cable from switch to distributor and hook up black wire that is on one end to coilterminal, that should work right?
No. What you describe above will not work.

If you want to connect a wire from the junction box to the Batt terminal of the switch, then the second wire coming off of the switch (screw labeled Ign?) must go to the Negative post of the coil.

Then connect the shielded wire from the distributor to the Positive post of the coil. That's assuming your battery is installed with the Positive post connected to the frame (positive ground car, as original)..

There will be no black wire connecting from the terminal box to the coil with the above wiring scheme.

So that you understand what you are doing, the above wiring scheme is NOT the way Ford wired them from the factory. But it will work. It all starts with you deciding you want to connect a wire from the terminal box to the switch. Once you do that, the rest must be connected as I describe.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:03 AM   #8
Mittie Lee 1935

Thank you Jim and everyone for the help.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:57 AM   #9
Mittie Lee 1935

I’m not committed to going from the switch to-the terminal box I just want it to work. I didn’t understand that a wire was inside braided cable and ran to points. So reattaching a new braded cable by screwing into distributor what terminal on back of switch (Batt or Coil)would that black wire inside cable attach?
Old 02-29-2024, 09:50 AM   #10
katy

This may help:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ign troubleshooting with diag.jpg (56.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:33 AM   #11
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
This may help:
This is a great drawing. Very simple.

Note that this is the way Ford originally wired the car. The key switch is installed in the wire that runs from the coil + post (red wire on a stock car) to the points in the distributor (shielded wire screws into the side of the distributor).

This is not the wiring scheme that Mittle Lee said he was using in his original post. He indicated that he was installing the switch in the wire between the terminal box and the power feed to the - post of the coil.

Either scheme works.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:36 AM   #12
Jim/GA

Quote:
I’m not committed to going from the switch to-the terminal box I just want it to work. I didn’t understand that a wire was inside braided cable and ran to points. So reattaching a new braded cable by screwing into distributor what terminal on back of switch (Batt or Coil)would that black wire inside cable attach?
Then connect the shielded wire from the distributor to the Positive post of the coil.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:59 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

This is the way the wiring should look if you are wiring your ignition the way Nurex suggests (and I stated back in post #4) with the switch before the coil. As mentioned, not original.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-16-2024 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:01 PM   #14
Mittie Lee 1935

Originally the pop out switch had the braided cable going to the distributor and a wire attached from the bat side (- ) of the coil. 2 other wires ran from the terminal to the amp guage and the car started. I removed the old switch and installed a Nu-Rex with 3 terminals, Bat, coil, acc. I also installed a new braided cable running from distributor through dash and into car. Would it be normal to connect the black wire inside cable to switch and to which terminal. Now the second wire from the switch would go from what terminal to where? I’m totally lost. Please help. My number is 903-948-8275. Charles Steen
Old 02-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #15
Bob C

Are you running 6V positive ground or 12V negative ground?
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:24 PM   #16
Jim M

Katy's diagram is spot on. I used it a everyting wors like a charm!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:36 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Ford put their Electro-Lock switch in to control the breaker circuit of the distributor. A power wire then connected the load side (generator wire) in the terminal box with a black wire to the power terminal on the coil.

A person can still do it this way by connecting the breaker points wire (shielded) to the switch bat terminal. The coil terminal on the switch would then be connected with the red wire to the distributor breaker terminal on the coil (+ side). Leave the coil power side (negative) connected as it originally was. It will at least look stock that way.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 05:46 PM   #18
Mittie Lee 1935

The strength of the Model A Club is the members! I was a member from 2002-2012 and after I sold my 1929 Tudor Sedan (big mistake) I dropped out. Now in 2024 as the 2 week old proud owner of a 1931 Coupe, I have rejoined and almost immediately needed big help in starting issues with my car. A great member on this forum, JIM CANNON reached out to me and via FaceTime patiently stayed with me for over 5 hours today to get my car Ludie Belle II TO RUNNING AGAIN. Thanks Jim for your dedication to the club and especially this particular member. Thanks again to everyone on this problem for your advice!!! Yup, the Model A Club of America is a great club !!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2024, 07:56 PM   #19
Tiger2

Quote:
The strength of the Model A Club is the members! I was a member from 2002-2012 and after I sold my 1929 Tudor Sedan (big mistake) I dropped out. Now in 2024 as the 2 week old proud owner of a 1931 Coupe, I have rejoined and almost immediately needed big help in starting issues with my car. A great member on this forum, JIM CANNON reached out to me and via FaceTime patiently stayed with me for over 5 hours today to get my car Ludie Belle II TO RUNNING AGAIN. Thanks Jim for your dedication to the club and especially this particular member. Thanks again to everyone on this problem for your advice!!! Yup, the Model A Club of America is a great club !!!!!!!

Any chance you could post a drawing of what you ended up with please? I have the same opportunity it seems. I just replaced the ammeter, Nu-Rex switch, distributor cable & ignition harness. Now the car won't start. Thanks for your consideration!
Tiger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:07 AM   #20
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger2 View Post
Any chance you could post a drawing of what you ended up with please? I have the same opportunity it seems. I just replaced the ammeter, Nu-Rex switch, distributor cable & ignition harness. Now the car won't start. Thanks for your consideration!
We reconnected a couple of wires where they attach to the switch and where they attach to the coil. That's about it.

You will also want to be sure your cable going into the distributor is screwed in "far enough" but not "too far". Too far and it will ground out inside the distributor and you get no spark.

Do you have a little test light that clips to a ground, that you can probe around and touch various wires? Those can really help you diagnose electrical problems. Insert a piece of paper in the ignition points, so that they do not make a connection, and start looking at where you have power with the key off and on.