Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2023, 11:49 PM   #1
mullskull

Default 28/28- 30/31 Roadster installation kit difference

I'm mounting the windshield on my 29 roadster, and having an issue with the way it fits. It seems that suddenly the windshield seems too wide-
When I mocked everything up I used a crusty original windshield, I'm also using a pair of original stanchions.. the stanchions are stock height, but raked back a little- this way it fit perfectly .

All this fitting was done before final paint etc.. now that the car is going back together I'm having these issues.. aside from chrome & paint the only difference is for the final assembly I'm using a new windshield, it's stock height ford oem replacement , and the size is dead on. I'm also using a new pair of tapered cups... i suspect the new cups are a little off. unfortunately I don't have the old ones anymore to compare the new ones too.
Is there a difference between 30/31 and 28/29 windshield instalation kits, specifically the tapered cups, and the nuts that hold the cups to the studs?

Thanks in advance!
mullskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: 28/28- 30/31 Roadster installation kit difference

Hello, I read the repro cups don’t fit as well as original ones , big surprise,can’t say whether the cups are the same, windshield and stanctions are completely different of course from 28-9 and 30-31 . Hopefully others will join in.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:03 AM   #3
mullskull

That's what I was figuring as well.. speaking with the fellow at Synders confirmed my suspicions. New *better* cups were ordered.. I also noticed that there is quite a bitbof paint on the upper part of the cowl that the posts fit over. I'll sand that all back as well and see what that get me..
I'll be sure to.post my results.
mullskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
gdmn852

Hello again, on the die cast wing nuts that hold windshield to stanctions , I noticed mine were bottoming out , that is threads weren’t deep enough, ran a bottom tap in to cut threads deeper, a small washer might be used between wing nut and stanction or replace wing nut with hopefully deeper threads.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote