Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Steve_KS

Default Cracked Block Options

I'm a total novice I've had an A all of 4 days now so I'm looking for some advice.

I looked this car over 4 years ago, I don’t remember the crack then but perhaps the paint was hiding it. The car was driven very little in the last 4 years and always had antifreeze so I highly doubt freezing caused the crack recently. I just acquired the car and hauled it home so it’s my problem now. I let it sit 3 days and collected the first cup of oil during an oil change. I don’t see any coolant in the oil but it smells like gas, I suppose that’s normalish?

As I understand it I have 5 options now and lots of questions.
  • Have the block welded. I’ve read this requires all machined surfaces being redone and then the motor rebuilt. Probably costs more than a new motor or block.
  • Get a new motor of some kind. This one supposedly has upgrades like; balanced crank, insert bearings, oil filter, high compression head. Replacement cost will probably exceed the cars value.
  • Braze the crack. I have a feeling the block was possibly brazed in the past and the crack has reemerged. I need to grind off the paint to confirm that though.
  • Lock-N-Stitch the block. This looks real neat, does anyone know if it can be done on curved surfaces or only flat? My crack seems to go down through a curve. Can this be done in the car? Then flush the coolant after or add a screen before the water pump.
  • Grind and fill with JB weld. Has anyone had success on such a long crack?
  • Keep driving it as is. Do these cracks generally grow until they are fatal or stay about the same size?
I am tempted to just drive it until something fatal happens then find a new motor? If the damage is already done and a new motor is in my future why not drive it into the ground first. Maybe this is a bad idea for some reason unknown to me. Which is why I’m asking your experts.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1MG_20180603_171436622.jpg (52.3 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg c2IMG_20180603_171636338.jpg (56.9 KB, 410 views)
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote