Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #32
GOSFAST

Default Re: Cam/Lifter uh-oh Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Where do you guys get that the cylinder friction is of no value when working to reduce friction? HUH?
All you have to do is compare a std set of rings to the newer stuff. ANY change is beneficial!!
And, good luck with a vacuum pump. Sheesh
Thank you "Kahuna", this is simply an excellent statement, pretty much sums up a good portion of what "chasing HP" is all about!

If there are any doubters I would say "you'd need to feel the difference between the amount of effort required to make 1 turn of a short block with (8) 3 or 4-ring pistons having cast rings installed and one using (8) pistons having a 1.5, 1.5, 3.0, "moly-metric" ring pack"? It's really a "night & day" issue!

I say there's more than a 20 HP gain directly related to these super-light-weight/lower-tension ring packs, but I'll leave it at 20 for now!

I know it isn't relevant here to the Flatheads, but for instance, when we change from a flat-tappet platform (hydraulic or solid lifter) over to a hyd-roller on a SBC or BBC we gain 30+ HP, this we definitely HAVE confirmed on our dyno testing. It also explains why a very high percentage of mfrs went over to the OEM roller platform. Gas mileage (among other things) played a huge part in their decision.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I would pass on installing on any vacuum pumps on these units however, but do believe the pump would be more of a "positive" for add'l HP than a "negative". We run our G.M. race builds around 12" vacuum when the pump is in the program!
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote