Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

The sales lead flipped back and forth during the Model "A" production years. Chevrolet led in 1928, Ford led in 1929 and 1930, Chevrolet again led in 1931-34 and Ford in 1935.

Where have all of the Chevrolets gone? Why is it that so many Model "A" Fords have survived, and most 1928 - 1931 Chevrolets have not?

What flaws in design and or quality sent the preponderance of the Chevrolets to the scrappers?

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 04-20-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Fix grammar.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
steve s

Default Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

dumb answer deleted

Last edited by steve s; 04-20-2018 at 01:48 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
leo

What hydraulic brakes are you referring to steve s? I had a 1933 Chevrolet Master 5 window coupe in high school and it had mechanical brakes. My own guess is that the wood in the bodies caused much more deterioration. Then again I wonder if the Chevrolet's or any GM car for that matter were as indestructible and cheap to maintain as the Model A was?
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Growley bear

I have read accounts that a Model A Ford front axle contained enough steel to make five Chevrolet front axels. Also the fact that there were so many more Chevrolet's made than Model A's, they were of inferior quality and ended up in the scrap yard early on. Now the Model A is still going strong and the Chevrolet, if you ever see on is a rare and valuable collector's item.
That's the way I heard it anyway. Sorry
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Ted Duke

I don't know the answer, but I can remember my family had a 1940 Mercury and my mother used to say "we got a Mercury because that 'Knee-Action' on the 1934 kept breaking."
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Keith True

Once the water got in to the wood on those wood framed bodies they were pretty much history.Who really wanted to fix a wood framed body?I've owned both a 30 Chevrolet and a 34 Chevrolet at the same time I've owned A's,one appeared to be as good as the other underneath material wise.The cable brakes worked fine,a little simpler to fix than the A.When I was a kid the scrap guy told me that he scrapped everything but A's during the war.Compared to an A most all other cars were gas hogs,and with rationing gas mileage was important.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chevs' broke a rear axle on every 3rd BACK UP. Many hauled spare axles. "Wunder" if Left & Right were interchangeable? At least, they were EASY to change. Chief wuz an artist @ removing the broken stub, with his wire "TRICK"---Chief wuz a genius fixer & could even fix ODDBALL CARS! I MARVEL at his, mostly self learned, SKILLS!
BUT, Chevys were very smooth & fairly dependable. We went from California to Oklahoma, in a '35 Chev Flatbed & a '29 Chev Fordor & only suffered the loss of a front wheel bearing, in the '29---That was quite common, with the BALL type wheel bearings. Later, you could buy ROLLER bearing changeover kits.
Bill Proud

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-20-2018 at 09:20 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
daren007

I have heard the same on the wood frame bodies. A friend has one in his grove. A pile of sheet metal with some wood mixed in.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
barnstuf

The big reason was wood frame bodies.

I am an old timer and I have seen doors fall right off old Chevys. Also the late 1920's Chevys often had broken rear axles with the cost to repair exceeding the cars value.

By the late 1930's values of the Model A and other old cars of the era was dirt cheap. When a repair job cost more than the cars value they were junked. In 1937 my first Model A, a 1930 Coupe in good running condition, was bought for $10. A chum bought a Fordor Model A also for $10 in running condition about the same time. Another chum bought a late 1920's Essex in running condition for $6. Old car values were very low until our participation in WWII was on the horizon.

MARC member since 1954
MAFCA member since 1958 an an old timer
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

Knee-action shocks were introduced on the 1934 Chevy Master Series and they were used up until WW2. Knee-action shocks were a failure, but that does not explain why very few Model "A" era Chevrolets survived.

What follows is from an article in Hemmings about Chevrolets of the Model A era, and some of the following text is from Chevrolet ads of the day. I have emboldened certain text in red to highlight what I consider poor features of the Chevrolet:

( Re the new 6-cylinder engine) Displacing 194 cubic inches via its 3-5/6-inch bore and 3-3/4-inch stroke, the three-main-bearing engine used a 5.02:1 compression ratio and Carter one-barrel RJH-08 updraft carburetor to make 50hp at 2,600 RPM and 122-lbs.ft. of torque at 1,800 RPM. This inherently balanced engine was upgraded in 1931 with a stronger engine block, stronger crankshaft and a redesigned harmonic balancer for markedly smooth operation, and its torquey nature and flexible power band meant that fewer shifts of the unsynchronized three-speed manual gearbox were needed.

Chevrolet also differed from Ford in the way its bodies were built; while Ford's bodies were constructed primarily of steel, Chevrolet car bodies used a large proportion of wood in their "composite body" construction. Their advertising heralded this: "This is not only the strongest, safest, most durable type known, but it is exactly the same type used in the highest-priced cars. A framework of selected hardwood is fortified at all points of stress by staunch steel bracing. Over this strong framework are mounted sturdy steel panels, so that the wood reinforces the steel and the steel reinforces the wood." Ironically, this traditional method of body construction would be the Chevrolet's downfall, leading to its lower survival rate than equivalent Fords.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 04-20-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
ursus

My dad's '29 Chevrolet 4-door was beginning to fall apart by the time I was in grade school. It would twist and flex when driven over bumpy roads - one bump would cause the rear door to pop open and the next bump would slam it shut. Still, it had a nice appearance with it's two-tone robin's egg blue and navy blue paint job. By then, a used Model A went for twice as much as a used Chev of the same vintage, if you could even find a buyer. I recall that nobody wanted to buy our Chev, so Dad gave it a kid down the street. He promptly snapped the axle racing it around on the beach and there she sat until the tide carried her away.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Bulligen

As a kid in the early 70s the old junk yards that remained had a lot of old chevy's from the 20s and 30s however the bodies had come loose from the wooden frames and as a young guy you would have to know a cabinet maker to build the framework back up to be able to put the body back together. All the old fords were still standing there proud and tall. It was an easy choice at the time. I guess it was me and my contemporaries in those days that could have saved them however it was too difficult and costly.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Fullraceflathead

I believe the Chevrolet's had much more wood in them and once it started to rot they were scrapped.

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
What hydraulic brakes are you referring to steve s? I had a 1933 Chevrolet Master 5 window coupe in high school and it had mechanical brakes. My own guess is that the wood in the bodies caused much more deterioration. Then again I wonder if the Chevrolet's or any GM car for that matter were as indestructible and cheap to maintain as the Model A was?
Thanks! You're right. I looked it up and Chevy apparently started with hydraulics in some 1935 trucks and totally converted in 1936. I'll delete my erroneous post.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #15
J Franklin

Chevrolet (the company) had a policy along with a few others to take in trades but not resell most of them but rather sell them for scrap to generate more new car sales. Hupmobile was another that tried this.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #16
burner31

Could it have something to do with part avalibiltiy?
Look up some simple parts for a 28-31 chevy, see what you find.
If you can't get parts for your auto"mobile" it becomes a auto"stationary"
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
My own guess is that the wood in the bodies caused much more deterioration.
But Ford used wood in some models and plenty of them are still around. A nekked Ford Town Sedan shown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Chevrolet (the company) had a policy along with a few others to take in trades but not resell most of them but rather sell them for scrap to generate more new car sales. Hupmobile was another that tried this.
Now that would certainly contribute to the lack of Chevy survivors.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-20-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #18
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I always thought it was the rear axle. It drove the wheels and supported the weight of the car. Ford has the semi floating axle that only drove the wheels. Wonder what the guys do today who own the restored ones. They couldn’t drive them like we drive our A’s.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Floats

Hi Guys,
I have one of each, in very similar condition and I love them both. However, despite the obvious problems mentioned above, the Chevy is by far my favourite.
It is possibly an unfair comparison as the 28 Model A is a RPU and the other, a comfortable 29 six cylinder Phaeton.
Apart from the differences mentioned in previous posts, I would like to add, Ford built 5 million Model As, as well as spares to keep them on the road, therefor had a huge edge on the ever changing Chevys.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC

Last edited by Floats; 04-20-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Chevs' broke a rear axle on every 3rd BACK UP. Many hauled spare axles. "Wunder" if Left & Right were interchangeable? At least, they were EASY to change. Chief wuz an artist @ removing the broken stub, with his wire "TRICK"---Chief wuz a genius fixer & could even fix ODDBALL CARS! I MARVEL at his, mostly self learned, SKILLS!
BUT, Chevys were very smooth & fairly dependable. We went from California to Oklahoma, in a '35 Chev Flatbed & a '29 Chev Fordor & only suffered the loss of a front wheel bearing, in the '29---That was quite common, with the BALL type wheel bearings. Later, you could buy ROLLER bearing changeover kits.
Bill Proud
I had a friend, who’s dad had a Chevy, and he told me the same thing, that just a little bump, and the axle would break. And yes, he always carried a spare axle.

I didn’t know that the Chevy axle was not a floating axle. That’s interesting. I wonder when the changed over?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Vern wuz makin' a TIGHT "U" turn in his'29 Chev, the SECTOR shaft popped, VERY EXCITING. Last I heard, he ordered a wood kit for the L/F door, didn't fit, returned it & wuz makin' his OWN, frum a small tree trunk! (GOOD LUCK!)--LOL
Bill Ford
Old 04-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #22
jhowes

I had and drove a 29 2-door chevy to college in the late 50's and never had a problem. It was 4 hours each way and therefore only made on weekends and a lot of guys borrowed it as there dates loved the old car experience. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #23
Roserock49

Here is a survivor that my Son in Law owns. I believe it's a 1927 and been in his family many years. Still runs and still has the original license plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.9 KB, 129 views)
Roserock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
But Ford used wood in some models and plenty of them are still around. A nekked Town Sedan shown...

Now that would certainly contribute to the lack of Chevy survivors.

Yup, I have some pictures like this. Only the chev was a '30 businessman/doctor coupe...THREE window !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
d.

as above... the Chev. had:

>wood framed bodies
>cheap rear axles
>bushings instead of bearings
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #26
jimalabam

Fords with wooden body frames were supplied to the body vendors, Murray/Briggs, etc with excellent hardwoods from Iron Mountain, AND even then, over time, both wood decay and termites took it's toll. A lot of wooden sub frames and /or pieces have been replaced over the years. Hmmmmmmmmm...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
I have read accounts that a Model A Ford front axle contained enough steel to make five Chevrolet front axels. Also the fact that there were so many more Chevrolet's made than Model A's, they were of inferior quality and ended up in the scrap yard early on. Now the Model A is still going strong and the Chevrolet, if you ever see on is a rare and valuable collector's item.
That's the way I heard it anyway. Sorry

Except for the front axle part I've heard the same thing.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

In High School, I had a '26 Chev 2 door. Even drove that dude to the coast! Only had 1 flat tire. With only 2 wheel brakes, it went down Cuesta Grade, REAL FAST!
Bill W.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:31 AM   #29
KenCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
In High School, I had a '26 Chev 2 door. Even drove that dude to the coast! Only had 1 flat tire. With only 2 wheel brakes, it went down Cuesta Grade, REAL FAST!
Bill W.
I've driven that Cuesta Grade in a modern car and it is scary - lots of accidents on there! I would guess that with only 2 wheel brakes, it would be even more scary.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #30
dave in australia

It's interesting to read about it being wood that was one of the reasons for low survival. The Australian A Phaetons and Roadsters have a lot of wood, including wood body subframes. A lot of them survive today compared to A era Chevs. Most Australian made bodies from the A era were wooden framed. My 29 Durant sedan and 29 Desoto Phaeton are also wooden framed.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #31
pooch

Even Aussie A/s have steel cowls and doors same as USA .

Chevs were all wood, so the first thing to go is the drivers door when the body weakens.

When the 27/28 chevs were being pulled out of the paddock in the early 70/s with rotted wood, there was a guy named Wally Brown in Canberra that was a guru with wood,

He actually offered a 27/28 chev exchange body.,

I beleive he went broke when the tax office got him for not adding sales tax on each body.

He did a good job.

But really now in OZ, all the early chevs are already restored and that era is ended.

Where as there are still a lot of unrestored A/s.

BTW I detest chevs, I helped a pal restore a 28 tourer and I owned a 34 master coupe with knee action shocks and they were a turd of an idea.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #32
Larryejoh

My grandfather had a 31 Chevrolet when my mother was little. He told me he traded it in for a 36 Ford because he would always break an axle.
Larryejoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #33
noboD

While you are discussing this ask where all the '57 Fords are. Ford outsold Chevrolet in '57 but I can't remember the last time I saw a '57 ford. "57 Chevies are like belly buttons.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #34
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

First album.jpg

Me and my '29 Chevy 2-dr Coach on July 4th 1967. I had just returned from an antique car show with my first trophy. My dad bought the car for us when I was 15, I'm 16 in the pic. The coach was all original except for the paint and tires. The odometer showed a little over 20K and I added another 10K during my 3 years of high school. Replaced 2 rear axles (see note at bottom)
one leaf spring, one tail pipe and relined the brakes. "Great" car and I have another one pretty much just like it, original unrestored, runs great, today.
My '29 coach, the one while in high school, had the rare optional wooden artillery wheels. While the one I have now has the stock steel disc wheels.

Note: The rear end under the 6-cylinder '29 Chevy was the same as the 1925 to '28 4-cylinder Chevrolet. From 1930 on up the axles steadily
improved. And, yes you can get replacement axles for the old Chevy's
from a retired NASA engineer/machinist in Calf.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Friend popped his '29 Chev axle, on the Black Bart Run, in our Gold Country. An Old welder slipped a pipe coupling on it, welded it & "straightened" it in an OOOOOLD LATHE, & he drove it back to Fresno!
Bill W.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Even Aussie A/s have steel cowls and doors same as USA .
Not ALL model As have steel doors. And mine seem to be OK...

Old 04-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #37
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:

Gotta' clean my glasses, at first, I thought that read, DYNAMITE !!! Been watchin' too many Old Westrerns---LOL
Bill Idiot
Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #38
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

In this same vain what Chevy/GM plants are preserved or revered like Piquette, Highland Park and Rouge.
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #39
pooch

Quote:

Old geezer's 4 door sedans made by outside suppliers do not enter my mind when I think of A/s.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #40
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Old geezer's 4 door sedans made by outside suppliers do not enter my mind when I think of A/s.
Wow, So the 608,405 Fordor Model A Sedans that Ford Motor Company labeled as a Ford and sold as Ford Model A Cars are not really Fords according to YOU...

Gee, you learn something new everyday, don't ya??? Your a Frigging Genius...

Are all of the Body Styles that are built by outside suppliers, other than Fordor Sedans, also included in what you consider being not As. How about Budd built PUs? Roasters? Briggs built Coupes?

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-21-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #41
dumb person

Axles, wood framing and bushings have been mentioned but... I'm not sure you remembered they changed a it each year. With many fords having interchangeable parts between years, the new & used used parts supply was larger, so they could be repaired more readily.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #42
BILL WILLIAMSON

Were Fords particularily designed to outlast Chevs? I don't THINK SO! Every maker relied on REPEAT SALES, as Old Cars pooped out.
As my Friend just said, MORE Fords were built & supplies of FORD, Wrecking Yard parts were EASILY available.
I have an extensive history in Wrecking Yard stuff & KNOW whut I'm talking about! MANY times I could even supply a BODY part, in a MATCHING COLOR!
I won't talk about Junk Yard Dogs, BUT, I could tell you many FUNNY stories about them---LOL Wish everyone could have worked in one, GOD, I lurned SO MUCH there! Parts Interchange Manuals were a GODSEND!
Bill Junkyarddog

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-22-2018 at 06:27 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #43
BILL WILLIAMSON

Trivia: Some Chevs had 2 rods that couldn't be replaced from BELOW, because of interfearance of a main bearing web. "THEY" made 2 piston skirts SHORTER, to overcome this problem!
Bill Uselesstrivia
Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #44
Growley bear

Too bad more of the old Chevy's didn't survive. They are a vital part of our automotive history. They are partly responsible for Ford improvements. I know that Henry was stuck on the flat engine but ------well the rest is history.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #45
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
While you are discussing this ask where all the '57 Fords are. Ford outsold Chevrolet in '57 but I can't remember the last time I saw a '57 ford. "57 Chevies are like belly buttons.
Where did the '57 Fords go? When I was in high school some of us had '57 Fords. One guy came up with a '57 Pontiac and it was in bad need of a front end rebuild. Off to the parts house he went and ordered probably more than he needed. When his parts order arrived and the front end was dismantled and ready for the new parts; they wouldn't fit; too big mostly. Turned out that this '57 Pontiac was of Canadian origin and was a '57 Chevrolet with a Pontiac badge.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #46
eagle

My 29 Fordor is mostly wood structure, all original, and VERY solid. Just wondering if Chev used a softer wood in their bodies?
Old 04-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #47
Keith True

The Chevrolets that survived were the ones taken care of and stored properly.Same thing with the Fords.I really don't know of many Fordors in my area that are good.I just looked at a 32 Chevy sedan that was stored properly,is is a sweetheart of a car.Somebody just dumped a 28 Graham-Paige in my garage to get running.Another wood framed car,but it has been stored well all of it's life.The doors open and shut nicely.I don't think too many of those survived the scrap drives of WW2.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #48
31Abone

In the mid 50's as a kid in Roseburg Ore. we used to go to the junk/scrap yard to look at cars,just every case the 1930 31 chevy were caved in from rottin wood most of the body was supported by wood..so if you want a answer to orig. question its WOOD ..Ford body "not mechanical" was more sturdy then GM products,my opinion GM had some stupid engineers and or mid management and upper ,I had several GM products 35 Chev ,36 Buick, 38 chev ,39 chev. try working and repairing these cars will take years off your life ..good thing about Ford is popularity and parts and knowledge about repair,GM and Chyrsler not much..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #49
Railcarmover
BANNED

Ford used more ball and roller bearings than any other car in its class
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #50
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Ford used more ball and roller bearings than any other car in its class
Makes me remember words of an Old Song, "Well roll on Buddy, move a load of coal, but how can I go, when the WHEELS won't ROLL"?
My head is just chucked FULL of OLD SONGS!
Bill Hoarse
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #51
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
The Chevrolets that survived were the ones taken care of and stored properly.Same thing with the Fords.I really don't know of many Fordors in my area that are good.I just looked at a 32 Chevy sedan that was stored properly,is is a sweetheart of a car.Somebody just dumped a 28 Graham-Paige in my garage to get running.Another wood framed car,but it has been stored well all of it's life.The doors open and shut nicely.I don't think too many of those survived the scrap drives of WW2.
Seems to me that many Model A's not properly stored or taken care of survived to this day to be rebuilt and enjoyed.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #52
Keith True

True,but very few Fordors manage to survive under those conditions around here.Tudors and pickups,yes,but very few Fordors,unless they were the later slant windshield.There are some wood framed Fordors around here,but when you look at them you find they were well stored cars.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #53
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
True,but very few Fordors manage to survive under those conditions around here.Tudors and pickups,yes,but very few Fordors,unless they were the later slant windshield.There are some wood framed Fordors around here,but when you look at them you find they were well stored cars.
Agreed.
It really is a shame though that more early Chevrolets didn't make it, for whatever reason. I have only seen three early Chevy's in my life. There are a lot of car people who may never see one.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #54
Karl Wescott

My 2 cents worth

Fords primary steel body construction vs primary wood construction was a factor, however the survival of the Briggs/Murray bodies suggest more is going on. I have seen in previous threads where Ford used a phosphate wash to prepare the bodies for paint, this would greatly assist survival of the steel skins even on the Briggs/Murray IF they were prepped the same. My SUSPICION (not fact, and do not treat it as such) is that as Ford was noted to use vanadium steel alloys in a lot of stuff in the T days and the metal thickness of surviving Chev's seems to be actually a little thicker than Ford, Ford may have been using an alloy steel for body stampings. Vanadium alloys usually have a bit of copper added. Alloys with copper tend to corrode with a film or partial film of copper oxide which excludes oxygen and prevents further oxidation. This might explain both the thinner metal used and the corrosion resistance.

Another MAJOR factor in Model A (and Model T) survival was Fords replacement parts policy. Ford required a dealer to purchase a large volume of spare parts with the purchase of each new car, often to where the cost to the dealer of the car with spares was more than the dealer was able to sell the car. Ford did not "buy back" extra spares. The plan was the dealer would profit from SERVICE, not sales. GM on the other hand, did not require the dealers investment in spares, "bought back" surplus parts, and most importantly deliberately made modifications to critical mechanical parts so they could not be interchanged. The plan was to profit on SALES. (By the mid 1950's both Ford and GM saw the error of their ways... so they switched. Hence the survival of 1955-60's GM stuff vs Ford!) Fords policy led to an abundance of NOS parts which we still enjoy to a limited extent 80 years after the Model As were built. You could get parts in WW2 to keep a Ford running, you donated the Chevy to the scrap drive.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #55
George Miller

Well I had a 29 chev pickup a 31 coupe, a 1932 coupe with free wheeling. In my opinion The 6 cy chev engine was a very good engine for the time. And stronger than the Model A. They were good cars, but they did have some problems with axle shafts. Now I have restored about 25 A,s so I know them also. Plus many more A engines.

Last edited by George Miller; 04-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #56
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
I know of what I speak! This was the biggest reason you don't find that many old Chevrolets.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #57
Growley bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
My 2 cents worth

Fords primary steel body construction vs primary wood construction was a factor, however the survival of the Briggs/Murray bodies suggest more is going on. I have seen in previous threads where Ford used a phosphate wash to prepare the bodies for paint, this would greatly assist survival of the steel skins even on the Briggs/Murray IF they were prepped the same. My SUSPICION (not fact, and do not treat it as such) is that as Ford was noted to use vanadium steel alloys in a lot of stuff in the T days and the metal thickness of surviving Chev's seems to be actually a little thicker than Ford, Ford may have been using an alloy steel for body stampings. Vanadium alloys usually have a bit of copper added. Alloys with copper tend to corrode with a film or partial film of copper oxide which excludes oxygen and prevents further oxidation. This might explain both the thinner metal used and the corrosion resistance.

Another MAJOR factor in Model A (and Model T) survival was Fords replacement parts policy. Ford required a dealer to purchase a large volume of spare parts with the purchase of each new car, often to where the cost to the dealer of the car with spares was more than the dealer was able to sell the car. Ford did not "buy back" extra spares. The plan was the dealer would profit from SERVICE, not sales. GM on the other hand, did not require the dealers investment in spares, "bought back" surplus parts, and most importantly deliberately made modifications to critical mechanical parts so they could not be interchanged. The plan was to profit on SALES. (By the mid 1950's both Ford and GM saw the error of their ways... so they switched. Hence the survival of 1955-60's GM stuff vs Ford!) Fords policy led to an abundance of NOS parts which we still enjoy to a limited extent 80 years after the Model As were built. You could get parts in WW2 to keep a Ford running, you donated the Chevy to the scrap drive.
There was an old hardware store in downtown Bend, OR. When the building was remodeled for use as a hardware store, some of the interior dimensions didn't compute. A large compartment had been blocked off and inside was a huge stash of very neatly stored Model A Ford parts, all new. Research showed that at one time the building had been an early Ford dealership and when the '32 models came out, Henry recalled all the Model A parts. This dealership hid theirs behind the wall.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #58
George Miller

I wonder if more farmers bough Fords, they would probably been driven less and maybe kept in a shed.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #59
hardtimes

Smile Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
Agreed.
It really is a shame though that more early Chevrolets didn't make it, for whatever reason. I have only seen three early Chevy's in my life. There are a lot of car people who may never see one.

When I moved into the SFV portion of Los A., several of us 'chev' guys who had a variety of 30' and newer chev vehicles , started a chev club. Before long, we had a pretty good sized group. We made up club jackets, emblems and Chev club monthly book. Fun group and lots of picnics, mechanical assistance meetings, etc. !
I still have chev parts all over the place today, and still have a couple of large boxes of 'as new' Chev club monthly publications.

Chev was ahead of Ford Model As in a number of ways, including the engines ! I guess wood was cheaper than steel back when !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #60
updraught

Fords are better looking, simpler, lighter and have more character.

You feel like it could take you to the end of the earth with a bit of tinkering now and then.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #61
Bob Bidonde

The 1st generation of the Chevy 6-cylinder engine had issues. We know the Model A's engine with only 3 main bearings puts too much strain on the center main bearing. Now imagine a 6-cylinder engine with only 3 main bearings as did the Chevy 6-cylinder. After 2 years of production, Chevrolet had to strengthen the crankshaft and the block because of inherent weaknesses.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #62
Tom Wesenberg

I have some 29 Chevy cars and trucks, and never had any engine issues. The wood body with tin nailed on was the issue.

I have a 29 Chevy 4 door sedan that someone should buy for $200. Some assembly required.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #63
Jeff/Illinois

Die hard fan of the Blue Oval here, would never own anything else, but I do enjoy seeing antique Chevrolets at the car shows, Model A era and early to mid 30's neat to look at.

A guy in a neighboring town has a '29 Chevy Coupe that is pretty sharp. Another has a '29 Chevy Tudor, all original sold new in the small farm town he lives in, I enjoy seeing it at the shows too.

I was at a farm sale about 7 years ago where they were selling a '27 Chevy Coupe, needed restored didn't run but it was all there and a solid car. It brought around $5-6K if I recall. Young guy about 22 years old bought the car and he is putting it back to bone stock original. I thought that was pretty cool
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #64
Karl

Quote:

BTW I detest chevs, I helped a pal restore a 28 Tourer and I owned a 34 master coupe with knee action shocks and they were a turd of an idea.

Several of my vintage car friends have Chevs and rant on and on about them.
I never thought to ask them why there are so few around -but I will ! One friend has a 34 Master with the knee action shocks -What a POS - Good way to get shock fluid on the ground. Also is gutless and my 34 ford eats it in a race.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #65
eagle

About 12 years ago before I bought my A, I looked a couple times at a 29 Chev Fordor. Looked good from 20 feet but all of the doors sagged. Had to lift them to get them to close. Ran good though, owner was asking $3500. Don't know what he got out of it, sat there quite a while. Sure glad I didn't buy it. Couldn't tell really where the sagging came from, seemed like the whole car was just settling. I'm afraid it would've been an ugly job to fix.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #66
Jim Brierley

In 1928, Chevy had their 6 cyl. engine ready for production but didn't want to butt heads with "the new Ford", so they improved their old 4 cyl. and waited a year. Yes, Chevy's did break axles but not as frequently as stated above. In 1953 my buddy across the street bought a '29 Chevy for $10. We were both 16, and abused cars as most 16 year old's did, it never broke an axle, neither did my '31 Pontiac or '29 Hudson, but my '41 Buick did in 1955, while hill climbing with it. The biggest problem wit old Chevy's was their wood-framed bodies, as many other cars at that time were. They were fine until left outside in the rain for a few decades. As long as we are on the subject, bigger, more expensive cars did not survive as much as Fords was they were more expensive to rebuild their engines, etc., so when they got really tired, they were scrapped. Pontiac was a good example of this. ... or so I've been told by guys older than me. :-)
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #67
1930artdeco

I actually saw a mid 30's Chevy in the wild this weekend! It was coupe and looked bone stock. Sounded like a v-8 under the hood but it was a stock 6 cyl. It looked really nice as well.

Mike
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #68
ericr

don't many people think the 1932 Chevrolet was one of the most beautiful production cars ever made?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #69
Bob-A

Smile Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
don't many people think the 1932 Chevrolet was one of the most beautiful production cars ever made?
The "Baby Cadillac" was and is still a very beautiful car!

Bob-A
Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #70
BILL WILLIAMSON

We shouldn't be PREJUDICED against other peoples or CARS.
Bill Mellow
Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #71
Jim Brierley

Most cars of the day had 4 springs, and rode smoother than Fords. Chevy used only 3 mains until 1937, but were of about the same cubic inches as A's, and with power "putts" closer together than 4's, were easier on bearings. And yes, the '32 Chevy was a beautiful car, as were many others that year. I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #72
Corley

Smart a__ answer to the question of where have all the Chevys gone is they've all gone to '55-'57s at the car shows. Tri five Chevys just keep coming out of the woodwork, to great excess!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #73
George Miller

I for one would take a 1932 chev for my model A. I had one many years ago and it was a vary nice car.

Last edited by George Miller; 05-01-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #74
Bob-A

Wink Re: Where Have All of The Chevrolets Gone?

[QUOTE=Jim Brierley, I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?[/QUOTE]

1932 was the worst year of the depression and the least amount of cars ever
produced, save for WWII. Might be a couple of reasons why, Jim.

Bob-A
Old 05-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #75
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Also is gutless and my 34 ford eats it in a race.
I was following a '37 Chevy pickup to a car show in my '36 Ford pickup one day. Both vehicles stock.

I got real tired of following him at 45 and 50 so I blew around him no sweat. That Flattie was wanting to get out and stretch her legs.

I talked to him later at the car show and he was real miffed that I passed him!!
Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #76
George Miller

If it could only do 45-50 there some thing wrong with the truck. A 37 was a 216 they were good for at least 80.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #77
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Most cars of the day had 4 springs, and rode smoother than Fords. Chevy used only 3 mains until 1937, but were of about the same cubic inches as A's, and with power "putts" closer together than 4's, were easier on bearings. And yes, the '32 Chevy was a beautiful car, as were many others that year. I always wondered why 1932 was a single-style year for many cars?

I agree that across the board for antique cars, 1932 had more beauty than any other year. Lots of 1933 models continued a similar style, but then the nice sculpted look slowly went away, as most became rather bland is styling.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #78
Bob Bidonde

When it comes to the beauty of car bodies, Edsel Ford's creations have no equal. The 1932 thru 1940 Fords, excepting 1938, are the most gorgeous automobiles.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #79
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
When it comes to the beauty of car bodies, Edsel Ford's creations have no equal. The 1932 thru 1940 Fords, excepting 1938, are the most gorgeous automobiles.
Absolutely. The early V-8 Fords from the '30's are timeless in their beauty and I will agree, 1938 should be skipped over not that good of a looking car.

A three window Ford coupe from 1932-1936 can't be beat let alone a Roadster. And the pickups don't forget the pickups. I'm biased towards '35 and '36 Ford pickups and trucks they are real beauties with that 1934 Ford car grille look.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 AM   #80
pooch

A 32 chev may be a nice looking car.

The guy who designed the 36 chev should be given the title of the ugliest big 3 car ever.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #81
Bob Bidonde

Having experience with 1935 and 1937 Chevys, the knee action front suspension sent many many Chevys to the junk yard prematurely. Next came the vacuum shift which sent more Chevys to the junk yard. Cost of ownership for a Chevy was not good during the 1930s.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #82
Lona

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the '34 and the '36 Chevy coupe styles very much and think they are beautiful. But that may have something to do with riding in a '36 with my mom and her friend where my "seat" was laying on the package shelf behind the front seat.

Then when about 14 yrs old I had a '34 coupe with a cracked block. Loved the car but never got it running.

Point is, we all tend to love the cars we grew up with or our parents owned. Nostalgia influences our ideas on what is beautiful or not. Opposite is when you had a bad experience with a particular car, hate it and never want to see one again.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #83
marc hildebrant

My first car was a 1933 Chev bought in 1967.

Never had axle problem and drove well.

My picture shows me with the car.

Marc

Last edited by marc hildebrant; 05-18-2018 at 08:58 PM.
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #84
George Miller

nice looking car, they were very good cars. There were still some around when I grew up. I never had a 33. But I had a 29 pickup, 31 coupe, and a 32 coupe.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #85
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I was following a '37 Chevy pickup to a car show in my '36 Ford pickup one day. Both vehicles stock.

I got real tired of following him at 45 and 50 so I blew around him no sweat. That Flattie was wanting to get out and stretch her legs.

I talked to him later at the car show and he was real miffed that I passed him!!
I have raced my friends 34 Chev sedan many times and always won. From a standing start my Ford leaves him looking at my luggage rack . However I suspect if we were on a straight run over a long distance and he was a more aggressive driver it might be a close run thing -Of course I would never tell him that . Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #86
redmodelt

Ok so I have not read all the post, but the title reminds me of a song; Were have all the flowers gone....

Several Chevrolet's for me. 50 5 window pickup, 50 4 door fast back, 65 impala (2 door and convertible) not Chev but GM product 67 GTO. Wish I still had them seeing the price they bring. Too bad the 65's and 67 didn't have matching numbers.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #87
marc hildebrant

I was driving on 128 in Massachusetts with my 1933 chev, when a Model A challenged me to see who had the highest speed. I passed the Model A when he max out at 60 mph.

Oh to be young again!

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote