Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
51504bat

Default Re: Do I have an 8BA? or..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
You also may need to look into rear gear ratios. When Ford put automatics starting in ‘51, in shoebox cars, I’m pretty certain the rear ratio was different. Speedway sells a auto trans kit like Jseery mentions above but I’m not sure what trans it comes with.
I called Shoebox-Central when I needed a different trans cross-member, but I think I remember him saying all the swaps they do are for automatics, not T5. Maybe start with contacting them.....shoebox-central.com....good people to deal with.......Mark

I've had good experiences with Shoe Box Central as well. Worth a call, IMO.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #22
rotorwrench

The TV cable is easy to set up. The kit I saw for the AOD/8BA even comes with a pressure gauge for set up but for the price they should. The kits aren't cheap.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #23
Ol' Ron

Everytime I see the T-5 installation in the thirty five, I have a fond admeration for Coopman for the engineering and manufacturing of the components of this system. Done by a guy that had a better idea. I worked for over 50 years in the Manufacturing of Helicopters. THe first CNC 5 axis machines, that bult th CH53 (Jolly Green) after that I worked in the Machine tool industry ( Bullards) adapting Tape controld to Vertical Boring machines. I used the term CNC, unfortunately, that hadn't been invented at that time and it all had to be done by tape. It's nice to know we have people like coopman here thinking outsife the box.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #24
Ol' Ron

Btt
Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The TV cable is easy to set up. The kit I saw for the AOD/8BA even comes with a pressure gauge for set up but for the price they should. The kits aren't cheap.
Easy to setup but disastrous if it is not there or not correct.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Everytime I see the T-5 installation in the thirty five, I have a fond admeration for Coopman for the engineering and manufacturing of the components of this system. Done by a guy that had a better idea. I worked for over 50 years in the Manufacturing of Helicopters. THe first CNC 5 axis machines, that bult th CH53 (Jolly Green) after that I worked in the Machine tool industry ( Bullards) adapting Tape controld to Vertical Boring machines. I used the term CNC, unfortunately, that hadn't been invented at that time and it all had to be done by tape. It's nice to know we have people like coopman here thinking outsife the box.
Gramps

Hey Ron...I surely do appreciate the kind words, but let's not forget Heard, the owner of that slick T5, as he's the guy that actually got his hands dirty and physically made that all happen. I just pointed a lot and shot my mouth off a bunch, as usual! It did turn-out kind'a slick though, huh? Thanks again, Gramps! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #27
Ol' Ron

I didn't know that. It took allot of thought to come up with the finished product. I never worked much with the stock ford running gear. When I got out of the service in 56, Old 324 and chevy 383 engines were boss on the street. they dropped into a 40;50's car like they were made for them. Hurst mad a kit for the Olds, everybody made the kit for the chevy. It didn't take long before we knew that the stock ford trans and rears wern't up to the task of handling the power . Haven't used any since.
AS good as that T-5 conversion is made, the rear won't take it.
But. it's a beauty!