Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Dick Webber

Default 39 Deluxe choke cable

I have a broken choke cable on my 39 Deluxe Tudor. Apparently Ford used cable in the first month or 2 of 39 production, before going back to rods.
I can find any repro part.

Does anyone have one?
Any ideas about possible repair?

Thanks!

Dick
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: 39 Deluxe choke cable

Dick, I went through this on my 39 Zephyr. I bought two new cables that were supposed to fit my Zephyr but didn't come close to fitting the dash. I'm sure the Ford cable is the same as used on the Zephyrs just may be shorter. I wound up using the housing and had the wire cable that was plenty long . You'll want to keep the shaft that the knob is attached to and carefully cut off any existing wire and drill a hole not much larger that the wire into the end of the shaft to accept the new wire then you can solder or crimp the end of the shaft to hold it in place. Then feed it back into the original housing. On the carb end I cut one of the socket ends off of a accelerator rod and drilled it to accept the wire end and crimped it. It was some work it turned out OK.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Webber View Post
I have a broken choke cable on my 39 Deluxe Tudor. Apparently Ford used cable in the first month or 2 of 39 production, before going back to rods.
I can find any repro part.

Does anyone have one?
Any ideas about possible repair?

Thanks!

Dick
Dick, Like you, I was faced with repairing what I had during a restoration project a few years back. I found it fairly easy to replace the cables, utilizing the authentic "pulls". I had purchased the cable, aesthetically a perfect copy, at a local farm supply store. At least there I could buy it by the foot. I know it is also available at lawn mower repair shops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4700.jpg (68.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Dick, Like you, I was faced with repairing what I had during a restoration project a few years back. I found it fairly easy to replace the cables, utilizing the authentic "pulls". I had purchased the cable, aesthetically a perfect copy, at a local farm supply store. At least there I could buy it by the foot. I know it is also available at lawn mower repair shops.
Mike, That's a beautiful engine compartment you have there! Were you able to find an NOS oil filter, or what did you use?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Paul Bennett

Bicycle shops have a variety of cable and sheath which can be used. I've used their stock for heater cables. Motorcycle shops also but bicycle shops IMHO more variety to choose from.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Mike, That's a beautiful engine compartment you have there! Were you able to find an NOS oil filter, or what did you use?
Thanks much Alan.

That filter was NOS.
Actually the toughest pieces to find were the correct fittings. I had the filters and brackets and one hose.

I managed to find the other hose and proper fittings going through Carpenter's stuff.