Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Spring Shackles

Information in the JS "Very Early '28" (rev'97) states:
* "double Ford script, lengthwise between the grease fittings, may be one script upside down, over the other, or only one lengthwise script"

Information concerning the spring shackles in the JS (‘97 revision-pg. 23-4) states:
* “(1928): lengthwise Ford script/USA.” … “some early 1928 shackles had a double Ford script”
* “(mid-1928-mid 1931): plain shackle (no script)”
* (August 1931 to end of production): “Ford script/USA ran horizontally under a lubricator hole at one end”

An article in the May-June ’07 Model A News by Mr. Rob Mills offers information on spring hangers (taken from Ford Achieves).
* “(start to March ‘28): lengthwise Ford script along both sides of the hanger” (double script)
(notably, USA is not mentioned!) (instead of stating ‘some’ as the JS does, this statement suggests the double lengthwise script is actually the most appropriate)
* “(April ‘28 to end of production) no script”
* He further quotes a May 15, 1940 engineering revision “add name Ford and USA as shown.” (crosswise on spring hanger).
This suggests that the ‘single’ Script/USA under the lub fitting is a much later item and likely not found on our Model A’s.
* He does not mention the Script/USA running lengthwise on the face (as pictured as the first style in the JS)

I appreciate that the JS, until revised, will be the gold standard for judging … AND I sincerely do not want to seed a debate about JS revisions … what I would appreciate is counsel as to what style I should be looking for for my Jan ’28 restoration.

Last edited by Charles Reese; 03-02-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added info
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Doug Clayton

Default Re: Spring Shackles

The latest information was in Rob's 2007 article. I would recommend following the data he provided.
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Charles Reese

Default Re: Spring Shackles

Thanks!! now, anybody have a handful of nice "lengthwise Ford script along both sides of the hanger” (double script)" shackles, and appropriate bars, they want to let go of

Last edited by Charles Reese; 03-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote