Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
lameyer

Default Push'n Rope

I recently got done rebuilding the 239 in my 47, Every thing turned out great except the rear main seal. All the new gasket kits have that "new improved" Teflon seal, even with the little roll pin in the cap, I went through three sets of that stuff. It kept trying to spin. I finally found some "old school" rope packing for it. have not had any problems since, Is this a common problem or was I just being stupid?
lameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Push'n Rope

IMO, the rope packing works well.
If installed correctly, it doesn't leak.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
19Fordy

Don't be a dope. Use the rope. Be sure to install it properly. Some say soak it in oil overnight first. Then install, but don't cut it flush. Leave a little extra. Others may offer better viewpoints. (Just kidding about the "dope" word.)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
tubman

I have done two engines over the last year. I used Fel-Pro gaskets on both of them. The pan gasket set comes with a guide that allows you to trim the rope seal sufficiently "proud". I used it in both cases. On the first engine, I thought I had a slight rear seal leak, but it turned out to be a bad oil drain plug gasket. Both engines are completely dry underneath. The first has a traditional rope front seal, while the second has a one piece seal. The latter was installed by the machine shop who did the assembly of the short block. From the looks of it, they had access to a sleeve and seal I don't seem to be able to find in my catalogs. Neither one has leaked a drop yet.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
4t8v8

The gasket sets come with two different type seals. The white Teflon and a black seal. After a couple of problems with the Teflon ones I found Fel-Pro's site and they say not to soak the Teflon type before assembly as it will cause the fibers to break down. Coated them with engine assembly lube before installing. No leaks. They don't need to be trimmed on a 8BA.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:07 PM   #6
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
The gasket sets come with two different type seals. The white Teflon and a black seal. After a couple of problems with the Teflon ones I found Fel-Pro's site and they say not to soak the Teflon type before assembly as it will cause the fibers to break down. Coated them with engine assembly lube before installing. No leaks. They don't need to be trimmed on a 8BA.
I think you may be right about this now; however, my gasket sets were purchased 10 or 15 years ago and needed to be trimmed.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote