Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #41
anut

Default Re: What is the best way to prevent Vapor Lock in this heat??

this is all new to me i have had stock model/s for 65 years and this is first time i have heard of vapor lock no sush thing check for other causes
anut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #42
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If you talking about Marvel Mysterie oi, it is pretty much just used for oiling the top end of the motor. It is mainly used for valves, since its such a thin oil it gets places that regular oil will not get to as easily. People put it in the gas since it runs through the valves. And im not so sure on this, because ive never heard of people using it for vapor lock, but my guess is because the oil is more dense than gas, it would take longer to heat up, so it has less chance to make the gas hot enough to cause problems
When all else fails, I ask my wife (Ph.D., knows lots of organic chem). HER answer:
The reduction in vapor lock effect seen by compositional changes to fuel (the addition of MMO, kerosene, diesel fuel, or anything else to the gasoline) is basically the result of changes in the interactions of azeotropes within the zeotropic mixture we call gasoline. That zeotrope varies widely by region, brand, grade, and seasonal blend. Deviations from Raoult’s law (vapor pressure of solutions) result from the addition of anything to the complex gasoline mix. Anything that will effect a negative azeotropic relationship with the fuel components having the highest vaporization potential will reduce the vapor lock effect. The opposite is also true, some additives may initiate positive azeotropes. Basically, vapor lock is the start of fractional distillation, and you want to change that paradigm.

I'd ask what the hell her answer means, but I know better!
So, instead, I asked her what she would do if suddenly stuck on the road with vapor lock.

Her answer
: That's a dumbass question, pickup my cell and CALL YOU.
Suggestion: Try a different brand/ grade, some have way too much butane for cars without pressurized fuel systems. Make sure there are no pressure drop points (restrictions) or vaporization initiators (scratches, rust, dirt) in the fuel system. Oh yeah, and that clothespin on the fuel line thing you asked about? They absorb resonance harmonics that serve as an energy source to initiate vaporization in the fuel line. And mow the grass.

I'm not sure mowing the grass would help, but if it was my vapor lock problem, I'd do it anyway. Always remember, the wife is never wrong. Fortunately, I don't have a vapor lock problem, so no need to mow today.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #43
Tacoma Bob

Cool Re: What is the best way to prevent Vapor Lock in this heat??

I wish i knew how to post a picture. BUT! (and all will laugh) I have no vapor lock issues but I did and experiment. I took a foam beer can cooler and cut a couple of notches and slipped up the sediment bowl. the notches were to clear the fuel lines. I made a simple bail handle to secure the unit to the bowl. On a tour with several other A's I took temperature readings throughout the day with a thermal gun on the metal top of the bowl. Mine was 20 degrees cooler than all the other cars.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #44
modelAtony

only way completely for me is adding a 6 volt fuel pump.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #45
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Red face Re: Phillips GAS is BAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
When all else fails, I ask my wife (Ph.D., knows lots of organic chem). HER answer:
The reduction in vapor lock effect seen by compositional changes to fuel (the addition of MMO, kerosene, diesel fuel, or anything else to the gasoline) is basically the result of changes in the interactions of azeotropes within the zeotropic mixture we call gasoline. That zeotrope varies widely by region, brand, grade, and seasonal blend. Deviations from Raoult’s law (vapor pressure of solutions) result from the addition of anything to the complex gasoline mix. Anything that will effect a negative azeotropic relationship with the fuel components having the highest vaporization potential will reduce the vapor lock effect. The opposite is also true, some additives may initiate positive azeotropes. Basically, vapor lock is the start of fractional distillation, and you want to change that paradigm.

MIKE...WTF!!! just what Henry would say... NOW here is an interesting FACT... When i used Phillips GASOLINE i had the problem... When i used MOBIL i did not, I asked the Phillips manager about his gas. He told me" We buy it everyday from the cheapest person we can find, we have to compete with the big boys and no one knows anyway"...Now we might be getting somewhere?
So....my thoughts are...change gas brand, and insulate the fuel line.. Take both steps first and then remove the insulation with the better gas and see what happens.

Thanks MIKE and Thanks to your wife....i think??hahahaha
PS when are we going to see you at a meeting.. Are you going to French Lick?
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote