Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
diomed

Default Re: burlington crank

Anybody know why they stopped making the Burlington cranks? Not profitable? At $975, I would think every "A" engine rebuild would've had one standard. I was trying to buy one, then saw they were discontinued. Maybe they were too cheap!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
[email protected]

Good news! Burlington cranks are still active and in production ~ next available shipment due in March 2015.
Watch for updated posts in coming days.
aggiedbrown@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Good news! Burlington cranks are still active and in production ~ next available shipment due in March 2015.
Watch for updated posts in coming days.
Well, I think that is great news.

The website still refers back to Chris' old info and such though. Are you going to do a press release as I have heard conflicting information regarding them. Two sources said the original company would not (be) make them any longer, ...and then I received a phone call last week that said same company, same machines, same everything was making them, --and 400 of them were in-transit right now. If they are in transit, 90 days seems like a long time to get them from China to Texas. Can you expound on that a little more??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #24
Rowdy
BANNED

I would like to know also. Hoping all of the info is announced soon. Rod
Old 12-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
M2M

Burlington are back in town??? Great news and just before Christmas!
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #26
1931 flamingo

His first post here and nothing in his profile??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #27
jallison15

Burlington crank shafts have been out of production for several months but will be available soon!
We anticipate cranks will be available in March 2015.
Website is under RE-construction; in the meantime please email me at [email protected]
Look forward to hearing from you!
jallison15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #28
jallison15

To elaborate on time frame of delivery ~ forging ordered takes 95 days for completion, 4-6 weeks ocean shipping to Texas. Cranks to be shipped over Christmas holidays. Upon arrival we will quality test each crank prior to distribution.
jallison15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #29
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Jallison15, Thank you for taking the time to update!
Old 12-23-2014, 03:23 AM   #30
diomed

I just bought a Scat last week. It's all about timing, I suppose.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #31
colin1928

I am wondering about cost to the end user (us) and sales network
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #32
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomed View Post
I just bought a Scat last week. It's all about timing, I suppose.
Having been a former dealer for both Burlington, and now Scat, based on what I have seen to-date, there appears to be a reason why the Scat costs a little more. The truth is I will probably order a new Burlington and do a side-by-side comparison of the two just so I can determine which is a better value for me and my shop's customers. I have a saying around my shop that says "It doesn't have to be Perfect when Good is good enuf! ...and this very well may apply to the Burlington vs. Scat crank comparison. Yes, the Scat appears to be beefier and more "jewelry-like" than the old Burlington was, but maybe all of that is not necessary for many miles of trouble-free touring.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #33
JohnLaVoy

I spoke with the "new" Burlington Crank people over the weekend. They purchased the molds and name from Chris Robinson and have had run manufactured. They are expecting delivery from China next month. They will have some other production stuff to do, boxing etc. before they are ready to ship. The target is March for shipments. At this time they don't know what their costs will be for a delivered product so can't quote a sale price. They plan on going through normal distribution for sales, along with direct selling. As I hear more I will pass it along. I am waiting to see what these look like and am excited to see what Brent's side by side evaluation is. I concur with his take on the SCAT after they showed it to me at SEMA.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #34
M2M

Another factor to consider in the SCAT vs Burlington battle is quality.

A monopoly is always bad news for consumers. Burlington's exit may help explain why SCAT crank prices are up nearly 50% since their release in 2011 and why they've dropped the ball on quality control, see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1418918286

At least SCAT was "man" enough to own up, take responsibility and make things right. Nevertheless, it would be a major headache to end up with a defective crank for a customer in Australia or Europe. If as a company you're going to boast about having your cranks machined in the USA then get it right, otherwise have them machined in China (the place the cranks are forged) and pass on the cost saving.

I would suggest to Burlington to also look at making a Model T crank as there are many potential customers there. And of course don't cut corners on quality and quality control, but do offer great customer service such as replying to customer feedback; something else that SCAT seems to have a problem with.

Last edited by M2M; 12-23-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Another factor to consider in the SCAT vs Burlington battle is quality.

A monopoly is always bad news for consumers. Burlington's exit may help explain why SCAT crank prices are up nearly 50% since their release in 2011 and why they've dropped the ball on quality control, see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1418918286

At least SCAT was "man" enough to own up, take responsibility and make things right. Nevertheless, it would be a major headache to end up with a defective crank for a customer in Australia or Europe. If as a company you're going to boast about having your cranks machined in the USA then get it right, otherwise have them machined in China (the place the cranks are forged) and pass on the cost saving.

I would suggest to Burlington to also look at making a Model T crank as there are many potential customers there. And of course don't cut corners on quality and quality control, but do offer great customer service such as replying to customer feedback; something else that SCAT seems to have a problem with.

"Dropped the ball on quality control"? REALLY???

I will talk with Brian McCullough as soon as they open this AM to find out the truth in that situation (whether there is even any validity to it) however folks need to also understand that Chris Robinson was not without Q/C issues either with his Burlington. Therefore lets not jump to conclusions nor make accusations in this.

It also needs to be said how the new 'Burlington' could have also helped themselves tremendously if they would have been a little more 'open' with their wholesale customers to let us know what their plans were! I called several people (including Don Snyder) to find out what was going to happen, and no one seemed to know anything for certain! If what you are saying is even true, it would seem like SCAT is not the only one having a problem with communications!!

As for getting it right in USA vs. China getting it right, ....does that one really need to get debated here?? For those of us who are involved in motorsports will quickly tell you that SCAT has a superb reputation in the automotive aftermarket, ...and quite honestly, they do not need the Model-A or T business to survive. The only reason why they are even making crankshafts for the A & T is because they were approached by some top-quality engine builders wanting a better product. They did not come to the marketplace begging for customers.

I will close by saying that I TOTALLY disagree that Burlington needs to get into the Model-T crank business. What is wrong with supporting the two that are already making T crankshafts? Part of the issue in this hobby is when you already have a couple suppliers of a good product, adding more manufacturers to split the small market does nothing more than drive the cost up or the quality away. It also makes investors for future products gunshy. I have seen this over & over where a vendor chooses to go off-shore to find a manufacturer that will make something cheaper (like Model-A brake drums) after someone else has done the R&D and the Marketing. All this has done in the past is make it where the present two suppliers are struggling to get a ROI.

Like I said above, lets see when you the new crankshafts hit the market how they will price out and compare the quality before we start the 'bashing nonsense'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #36
George Miller

I will talk with Brian McCullough as soon as they open this AM to find out the truth in that situation (whether there is even any validity to it) however folks need to also understand that Chris Robinson was not without Q/C issues either with his Burlington. Therefore lets not jump to conclusions nor make accusations in this.

Yes I had one. Had to turn the flywheel on the crank to get it right. It did work out fine. Chris did the right thing and made it right for us. All the rest of his cranks were right on.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
"Dropped the ball on quality control"? REALLY???
Brent, well yes, really. As you just said, "SCAT has a superb reputation in the automotive aftermarket" a comment which I agree with. So clearly if the comments on the Model T forum are true, which I have no reason to believe they're not, they most certainly have dropped the ball by your measure.

You wrote:

"As for getting it right in USA vs. China getting it right, ....does that one really need to get debated here??"

There's a debate about USA vs China??? If so, I didn't start it...go back and read my comments. SCAT makes a point of mentioning time after time they employ workers in the USA to machine their cranks...that's great, I commend them. By saying "Made in USA" though you're saying something more...your saying QUALITY and CUSTOMER SERVICE, that's my point. I alway prefer to buy "Made in USA" if a item is priced competitively because of that.

Are you saying I'm 'bashing nonsense' by passing on information I have to forum members about an expensive and important Model A item? If so, perhaps your status as a dealer of these cranks is clouding your judgement. Also, note that I made a point of praising SCAT for looking after the Model T guy in question so you can hardly say my post was an anti-SCAT rant.

With regards to Model T cranks...who's the second manufacturer, SCAT and ? Even if there is one, I don't agree with you that it's automatically bad news when new competitors enter a market, but in the specific case of T cranks you might be correct.

It's certainly bad for consumers to only have one player. I welcome Burlington's return.

Last edited by M2M; 12-23-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #38
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Brent, well yes, really. As you just said, "SCAT has a superb reputation in the automotive aftermarket" a comment which I agree with. So clearly if the comments on the Model T forum are true, which I have no reason to believe they're not, they most certainly have dropped the ball by your measure.

You wrote:

"As for getting it right in USA vs. China getting it right, ....does that one really need to get debated here??"

There's a debate about USA vs China??? If so, I didn't start it...go back and read my comments. SCAT makes a point of mentioning time after time they employ workers in the USA to machine their cranks...that's great, I commend them. By saying "Made in USA" though you're saying something more...your saying QUALITY and CUSTOMER SERVICE, that's my point. I alway prefer to buy "Made in USA" if a item is priced competitively because of that.

Are you saying I'm 'bashing nonsense' by passing on information I have to forum members about an expensive and important Model A item? If so, perhaps your status as a dealer of these cranks is clouding your judgement. Also, note that I made a point of praising SCAT for looking after the Model T guy in question so you can hardly say my post was an anti-SCAT rant.

With regards to Model T cranks...who's the second manufacturer, SCAT and ? Even if there is one, I don't agree with you that it's automatically bad news when new competitors enter a market, but in the specific case of T cranks you might be correct.

It's certainly bad for consumers to only have one player. I welcome Burlington's return.

Hey M2M,
Just think $ signs when reading some remarks, and think reverse psychology when reading others to make sense of nonsence remarks, like: more competitors making a product, are bad for consumers and will raise prices Credibility goes out the 'window', eh ?
Thanks for your AND George's input
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #39
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallison15 View Post
Burlington crank shafts have been out of production for several months but will be available soon!
We anticipate cranks will be available in March 2015.
Website is under RE-construction; in the meantime please email me at [email protected]
Look forward to hearing from you!
WELCOME to this Forum !
Thanks for posting, as I'm sure that many here are anxious to hear from you regarding product/cost/quality/availability !!
Email sent.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #40
BlueSunoco

Looking at the Scat website, I see they list two Model A crankshafts the second one with 'oil holes'. I'm confused I guess is this for a pressurized system?? Part # 7-A-4250-H
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote