Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #27
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default Re: cowell lights

Back in the 1960s, much of my spare time was spent skulking around ancient barns and other dark places looking for pre-war Fords. Many of the Model A cars found then had been long before retro-fitted with "sealed beam" headlights. Abandonment of the original Mazda bulb type headlights through into the 1950s looks to have been a popular upgrade. Along with "juice brake" conversions, the headlight upgrade was considered a "safety" issue for then modern day driving.

Acquired a crisp driver 1929 Ford tudor in year 1970 that had sealed beam replacement headlights mounted. It was easy then to purchase an excellent complete set of original headlights at the antique car flea market for $15. Remember old timers in those days being mortified that we young goofballs would be so crazy as to strip off those modern style beams and reinstall primitive original lighting with the crude reflectors and bulbs.

Have driven Model A Ford cars many hundreds of miles over the decades. All had original type headlight sets with the bulbs. With decent reflectors and correctly adjusted beam, those lights suited my needs and functioned as intended. Nowadays, the 31' Ford is used for local runs to hardware store and occasional weekend yard sale cruising.

Then too . . . with the setup on our car, it's probably possible to install LED bulbs for the full HEADLIGHTS and leave both COWL and PARKING LAMPS as old style bulbs.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 11-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote