Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
smittykid

Wink Intake manifold wolf whistles question??

I test drove a Model A with an intake manifold wolf whistle and I loved it! (The Model A was ok, too). It was the older style with the direct pull on the back. I know Snyder's has a wolf whistle with a lever on it. Does anyone on the forum have one of these later style whistles? If so, how do you like it? Thanks
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Intake manifold wolf whistles question??

The biggest complaint about those whistles is sometimes the "reed" falls out of the trumpet bell rendering the whistle part to stop 'whistling'. Outside of that, use it until you become obnoxious with it!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #3
John Stone

The one with the lever type is a repro of an older design. Used to see them in the J C Whitney catalog in the 50's. I really prefer those. Easier to work.

The fastest way to remove the whistle part is a back fire thru the carb.

The neighbor lady was bent over working on a flower bed in her front yard and I gave he a good wolf whistle and you know what, she never talked to me again.

I have since quit putting them on my cars but they are a lot of fun in parades giving the ladies a good old fashioned whistle. It does take some practice to get it right.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
The one with the lever type is a repro of an older design. Used to see them in the J C Whitney catalog in the 50's. I really prefer those. Easier to work.

The fastest way to remove the whistle part is a back fire thru the carb.

The neighbor lady was bent over working on a flower bed in her front yard and I gave he a good wolf whistle and you know what, she never talked to me again.

I have since quit putting them on my cars but they are a lot of fun in parades giving the ladies a good old fashioned whistle. It does take some practice to get it right.
That might be a good thing.

The other day I was tumbling my Studebaker gas tank to remove the old liner someone put in 20 years ago. I had a couple handfulls of lag bolts inside the tank to knock the old crap off. It was making a lot of noise as it tumbled and the neighbor lady came over and read me the riot act.

In the 60's I had the lever type wolf whistle on my 55 Chevy. I used a hand brake lever and cable from an English bike as my pull cable. This worked great as it gave more precise control and it didn't need to be in a straight line. About once a month I had to spray some lube into the spinner.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
...The other day I was tumbling my Studebaker gas tank to remove the old liner someone put in 20 years ago. I had a couple handfulls of lag bolts inside the tank to knock the old crap off. It was making a lot of noise as it tumbled and the neighbor lady came over and read me the riot act....
Tom,
Next time try ice & vinegar in your gas tank. One of the guys here did that and it worked great on his 38 Chrysler tank. No bolts to fish out when you are done. Don't know about the noise though.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #6
2manycars

I have a whistle on my tudor. It is great fun in a parade, or to surprise pedestrians. I can make it whistle at the old ladies, and I can make it sound like Curly from the 3 Stooges, for the kids. Great fun. It's been on there for many years. I ran the wire through the hollow floor mat stud, and up to the choke rod bracket.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

When used with discretion, they are great ! Without discretion they can become obnoxious ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Back in the early 1950's every kid in high school went out and bought a wolf whistle when they got their first car. You could buy them from Pep Boys for about $3.00. The first thing they would do is roll down the street in front of the high school when school was letting out and whistle at all the girls walking home. They thought they were very cool. They soon found out they were not.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote