Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
deuce lover

Arrow 34 Dash knob finishes,Not '33

I am aware that the deluxe choke,throttle and glove box knobs have a woodgrain finish to match the dash.Do standard models share the same or are they just plain dark brown?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 34 Dash knob finishes,Not '33

Sheldon,

From my experience (I restore my own knobs) with both deluxe and standard models and the '34 chassis parts catalog, the '34 deluxe and standard knob color was not wood grained, but rather monochromatic in a dark brown with a red cast to it. When they deteriorate over time they start to acquire a textured surface finish that perhaps gives the impression of multiple shades of color. NOS versions of both '32, '33, and '34 choke and throttle rods that I've seen are all the same basic color with the exception of those for '33-'34 big trucks and some of the commercial vehicles such as the pickups and panel deliveries where knob color was black.

What does differ between standard and deluxe models are the color of the rubber grommets in the dash that the V8 rods pass through, roughly matching the basic color of the dash. '33-'34 four cylinder choke and throttle knobs are carried over from the '32 models and their dash escutcheons were chrome plated like those on the '32s.

My experience is limited to North American vehicles produced both for export and home markets so it may well be that the knobs used in Europe differed in their coloration.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote