Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2023, 08:23 PM   #1
Tudie 36

Default Carb questions

I have an EAB engine it has a Holley 94 8Ba mounted to it now, that’s the way I got it. I’m having it rebuilt and one of the squirters are clogged solid. My guy says Carb seems a little small for the engine. Will a SuPer 97 work or get parts of another 94 I have laying around ?
Tudie 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Carb questions

Keep the carb and get rid of your "guy".

Unless you want to get into a complete ignition conversion, you need a "Load-a-Matic" compatible carb on the engine. For all practical purposes, any 97 type carb would be unsuitable for your engine, the "9Super7" being the worst of the lot.

If you really want a larger carb, your only choice with a stock ignition is a later Holley from a "Y" block Ford, such as a Holley 2100 or 2110. You could also look into a carb and manifold from a contemporary Mercury flathead, but they have problems of their own.

Send the existing carb to Charlie Schwendler in New York and your problems will be solved.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:12 PM   #3
flatjack9

I wouldn't want that "guy" working on my engine. Get the parts off of another 94.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 04:29 AM   #4
Tudie 36

Thanks for the help. I’ll keep her like she is.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
Seth Swoboda

Tudie,

Do you realize you are only 2 hours drive from V8 Mecca, that is 3rd Gen Automotive. You will find every V8 part you could want, NOS or reproduction, and the nicest folks in the hobby.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Tudie,

Do you realize you are only 2 hours drive from V8 Mecca, that is 3rd Gen Automotive. You will find every V8 part you could want, NOS or reproduction, and the nicest folks in the hobby.
I know. Mikes helped me more than once with the 1936. The car I’m fooling with now is a conglomeration and my learning has slowed on this 1940,39, 53, 36 mixture. Still fun though. Took the other 94 carb to my “Guy” who is not a Flathead guy but builds carbs for racers. The symptom was hard start after sitting for a couple of days. After carb was apart it had the look of a recent rebuild, new pumps etc. something very hard and very tiny, blocked one of the squirters. I’ll be back on the road tomorrow. A dual carb set up is in the future on this one. The 36 with stay as close to original as possible. Thanks again. G.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

[QUOTE=tubman;2258124]

Keep the carb and get rid of your "guy".
Send the existing carb to Charlie Schwendler in New York and your problems will be solved.

I'll second Charlie Schwendler every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:11 PM   #8
69a

If you have a Load-a-Matic distributor, you can't run dual carbs efficiently, as your venturi vacuum is reduced. There are a couple of distributor options.
Are you still running 6 volt?
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #9
mfirth

I'll third Charlie. He built me a 94 style carb with a slightly larger throttle body so i could keep the stock dizzy but gain some fuel volume. Nice crisp performance.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #10
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69a View Post
If you have a Load-a-Matic distributor, you can't run dual carbs efficiently, as your venturi vacuum is reduced. There are a couple of distributor options.
It’s 12 Volt
Old 09-28-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
Tudie 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69a View Post
It’s 12 Volt, I’ll send pictures after work. Thanks
Old 09-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #12
jerdan

Ford flatheads were under carbureted. A good replacement would be a ECG carb from a 1955 ford y-block. This is the same carb that I am running on my 53 Victoria. I rebuild these carbs and I have one on the shelf ready to ship. You can text me at 360-319-4126 if interested.
jerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:45 PM   #13
tubman

If you absolutely want a bigger carburetor, the best alternative is a small base Rochester 2G on a bored out Mercury manifold. (The carb will bolt directly onto the manifold, but the throttle bores on the manifold need to be enlarged.) If you mount the carburetor backwards (trust me, it doesn't know the difference), everything falls into place except for the choke linkage. You could rig something up to run the choke, but I prefer to run the automatic choke. Both Merc's and the Rochester carburetors come with carb mounted (regular) or manifold mounted (divorced) choke mechanisms, so it takes some matching to get the right parts. Once you have them, all it takes is some easy modification of the tube or actuating rod and you're in bustiness.

One 2G flows about as much as two stock 94's.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:38 AM   #14
aussie merc

want a bigger 2 barrel use the Stromberg Big 97 version[not the speedway poor attempt] its rated at 250 cfm looks just like the factory 97 only bigger flow but you will need to machine the manifold to get best results and no it wont work with the factory distributor on an 8BA, so that will need to be changed to a chev style setup however it is available with the correct vac port to suit the chev style setup [BUBBA's where the go to for this dissy but i believe charley in New York have taken up the challenge.]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote